All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:57 am

Post subject: Concidering starting the hobby
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:49 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm looking for a 'lil nudge and some purchase advice.
I've got a budget of 95 pounds for this initial go, and I'm more than a bit torn between WH40K and LotR.

I'm guessing my basket should be along the lines of:
-The Mines of Moria Hobby Set
-Chaos Black Spray
-Plastic Glue
-Citadel Fine Detail Brush

I'd like to ask exactly what colours the box contains, and how big the pots are? Since the website catalogue skips those details.
And if there are any others I should grab?
Also, what sort of game is the SBG? Do you build a group based on points/ faction and just go at it, or play out scenarios from supplemental books, or both?

If that baskets good, I have 20.25 left, anything to suggest?

Thanks in advance.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well, I think everyone here will encourage you to play LotR :) But really it's about the kind of flavour you want. I don't play WH40K because I'm not into cartoons :P and I really like the (more) realistic scale of the LotR figures...not to mention I find the world itself more compelling.

Not sure I'd bother with the Moria Hobby Set. If you want to start a Moria army, then definitely get the Moria rules and model set, but get the paints separately. Maybe the Hobby Starter kit is a good way to get paints, glue, basing materials, etc. Then pick up whatever separate pots of paint you need for the army you're working on.

If you aren't starting a Moria army, you'll probably be better off with the big rule book, a box of plastic warriors and a command blister from the army you like. Any idea what you'd prefer?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

i agree with whafrog if you ain`t going to start a Moria army you should rather get the rulebook and a box if warriors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:45 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That what army do I want brought up another question about the structure. Are games played as good versus evil, or are they divided into the forces with no mixing allowed?

Army wise I'm leaning towards Modor... Maybe Gondor and Arnor; though I'd also like to know if an army of the dead set-up is viable? I figure there are special rules considering they're.. well, dead. Or could I get an Army of the Dead, King of the Dead, and play them as they are?

If I'm not getting the Moria box, what dice/ how many do I need, and are there any templates I'll miss out on?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You don't have to play Good versus Evil, I personally prefer to do so as it makes more sense (theme-wise) but that's just my opinion.

You could get an army consisted soley of the Army of the Dead, but I wouldn't advise it to start off with. However, if you went for Gondor you could ally in some Army of the Dead; in other words, have a mixture of both.

The only dice you'll need are regular ones, around a dozen is nice. You don't need any templates either, just a ruler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Okay, thanks people.

I've just bought a few pieces from different factions, as I'd like to have enough about the house to play the game and drag a few friends down with me.

Quoting the listings (so some of the names may be wrong):
banner bearer ( 1 metal model )
champion ( 1 metal model )
Uruk Hai with Spear ( 10 models )
Uruk Hai with Sword ( 9 models )
Uruk Crossbow ( 1 model )
---
Faramir ( 1 metal model )
Command ( 2 metal models )
Pippin ( 1 metal model )
Spearman ( 8 models )
Bowman ( 8 models )
Swordsman ( 8 models )
---
Undead Army Including The King (1 metal model) and His Warriors (9 metal models).
---
Total: 60 models for £23.00 + £12 P&P

I have no idea about how the points match up, but I'm sure there's enough to work with.

Leaving me plenty to get the rulebook, and some more dice. The tape measures already accounted for ^^

Any thoughts?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:34 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Since I generally don't play more than 500 point games, I don't use more than a few dice at a time. All are D6. I agree with the General that Army of the Dead would be difficult to start out with.

Playing evil vs good is more thematic, but you really can do whatever you want. You can also ally forces, say Rohan + Gondor. Rules for army configuration and legal alliances are in the Legions of Middle Earth book, and in the relevant regional sourcebooks. You don't have to stick with the "legal" alliances, but they make for more balanced and thematic games.

If you want Mordor, I'd get the following to start out with:

The One Ring rulebook
1 box of Mordor Orcs
1 blister of Orc Command (Orc captain + banner) and/or a blister of Gorbag (Orc captain)
1 box of Warg Riders
1 blister of Sharku foot and mounted (you can proxy him for a generic captain if you wish, but he's the only captain model on a warg, AFAIK)
1 Ringwraith foot and mounted
The Mordor sourcebook

This will give you plenty to work with and form a decent core with which to learn the rules. If you want to save money, skip the warg riders and ringwraith for now and just play smaller games.

Getting Gondor would be similar:
1 box of warriors
1 box of knights
1 blister of Faramir foot and mounted (essential hero!)
1 Captain of Minas Tirith command blister
The Gondor in Flames sourcebook

And maybe you need a bit of both sides if your friends aren't into the game, so just stick to a box of warriors and a command blister for each side.

For paints, I really think you're better off getting only what you need for the current army you're working on. Take a look in the painting guides here to get an idea what you'll need. Orcs are heavy on the browns and greys, with some greens and flesh tones for the skin. Gondor is heavily black, grey and silver, but of course you can use whatever paint scheme you want.

Hope that helps!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:50 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

whafrog wrote:
Since I generally don't play more than 500 point games, I don't use more than a few dice at a time. All are D6. I agree with the General that Army of the Dead would be difficult to start out with.

Playing evil vs good is more thematic, but you really can do whatever you want. You can also ally forces, say Rohan + Gondor. Rules for army configuration and legal alliances are in the Legions of Middle Earth book, and in the relevant regional sourcebooks. You don't have to stick with the "legal" alliances, but they make for more balanced and thematic games.
Hope that helps!

I get the feeling my question was misunderstood.

What I meant to ask was is setup as simple as Good VS Evil, or are we limited to the individual forces; such as having an army only consisting of 'The Fallen Realms' characters.
Though you've answered it already, I thought I'd take a shot at clarifying.

And yep, all been a big help.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 10:34 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Munkerz wrote:
What I meant to ask was is setup as simple as Good VS Evil, or are we limited to the individual forces; such as having an army only consisting of 'The Fallen Realms' characters.

The alliance lists are pretty open.

Looks like you posted while I was drafting my previous post. Looks like you got plenty to work with. I'd recommend the Gondor sourcebook. For the Uruk Hai, looks like you're working on an Isengard army. There are extra Isengard profiles in the Two Towers journey book.

Hope you enjoy!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

'lil status update~

I got all my stuff on Wednesday.

Books: The rulebook, Legions of Middle-Earth, The Two Towers, and Gondor In Flames.

Unfortunately the following miniatures arrived with broken weapons:
A Warrior of Minas Tirith spear-men x4, bowmen x1, and a sword and shield.
A Dead Warrior with a broken axe.
An Uruk-hai Pikeman x1, and crossbowman x1.
Plus some otheres that I managed to fix.

Despite the broken pieces, I still got a damn good deal compared to retail. :-D

I've played a few basic games with my brother, and some with a few implemented advanced rules. So far, I'm enjoying. 8)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:19 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

honestly broken pecies don't matter it doesnt change the game or anything just how your models look. heaps of my models are broken though except my elves, dwarfs and half my modor. The reason there not broken is because I dont let my friend touch them :P and when ever we play he always uses isengard, rohan and gondor. i basically just let him use isengard and rohan for his armies, i dont touch them or buy anything for them and he paints them all :-D .

P.S the only reason i have a isengard,rohan and gondor army is because i got them from the BGiME(some i have double copys somehow)