All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:08 am

Post subject: Advice on glue to use
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi,

I have just started building my LOTR and am trying to get on with gluing together some of my metal figures. Without trying to sound really stupid. What is the best glue to use?

I have tried super glue with no success at all (The parts come away in seconds). I am assuming the GW glue is exactly the same???

Any help would be appreciated as I am losing patience!

Chris
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

super glue MUST work! in my first box pippin broke his legs, just a good drop of superglue, then hold it together for some 2 mins, and it's ready!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:52 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
Superglue. I use Loctite personally, it's in gel form. The liquid kind has a tendency to go everywhere except where you want it to, so I haven't touched the stuff in years. I just use a dab of Loctite and hold it for 30-40 seconds, and let it dry for a couple of hours before doing anything else (like painting) that could put pressure on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Superglue works fine. I've used both Loctite and the Privateer brand and both do the job. However, I tend to pin almost everything metal. A bit of a hassle, but it pretty much never comes apart after being pinned. Which is why I loooooooove plastic minis--no pinning!

Post subject: Re: Advice on glue to use
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

petitor wrote:
I have tried super glue with no success at all (The parts come away in seconds). I am assuming the GW glue is exactly the same???

Superglue gets old, make sure you have a fresh tube. Also, what makes the bond is a chemical reaction with water (in the air), so you can help things along by "fogging" the area to be glued with your breath. Press and hold together for a good minute.

If you're re-gluing something you've tried to glue before, try to scrape away any old glue residue. If you have a heavy metal model such as a troll, it really helps to pin your models: drill a hole on either side and connect with a bit of paper clip. Check the GW article on building Burdur, it has some good tips. I've used pinning even on small models, especially arms where there doesn't seem to be much surface area contact.

Good luck!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Here's the stuff i use, it all but removes the need to hold the parts together for more than 10 seconds, just put them in place, and spray for about 3 seconds, it should dry the glue instantly, forming a bod stronger than super-glue alone.
Be warned though, spray too much and it will build up, and it produces a nice lump on the part you were spraying, also it doesn't dry clear so make sure you do it before you undercoat.

http://www.tremco-illbruck.co.uk/celumd ... _DS_GB.pdf

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If super glue is not working for you, I suggest that you go to your nearest GW and ask them to show you, you must be doing something wrong or using really Devlan Mud glue i.e. the stuff you get from the market 5 for a £1 type.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i prefer loctite liquid superglue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I pin the larger models and use 5 min epoxy on all metal minis. The epoxy has a longer shelf life.
It's a little tricky to work with at first, but I find it works very well. Plus, it is STRONG and fills gaps. It may not be the first choice for many, but I have great results with it.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks to everyone for all the responses. As a newbie its great to get the help so readily.

In the end I persevered with the superglue and held in position with a little blue tac until it dried hard. I think the problem is the speed of the reaction.

I will try loctite next time and like the sound of drilling and pinning for the bigger models (I have a couple of trolls and a treebeard to sort out!)

Thanks to all
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

If you find that it takes awhile for the glue to dry that probably means you are using to much. It helps to make sure you have a nice amount of surface contact to. But using to much glue I would say is a common mistake.

All super glue seems to be basically the same in my opinion, only the bottle and tips are different.

Thanks;
Mike
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

And personally I prefer the ones with a brush. You can be far more accurate on location as well as amount. Not to mention about half of the squeeze tubes I've used have had a habit of breaking open at the end when you get about 80% gone and are trying to squeeze out more. THAT is a mess. :x

http://TacticsInMiniature.com