All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:09 am

Post subject: I need some help with photos
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:33 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I added some photos to my gallery. I am afraid they are a little dark. Please look. I can take constructive criticism . I need some suggestions.

Thanks.

My camera is so old it uses 3 !/2 disk. The flash won't work. Include suggestions for new equipment if you like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:54 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

First of all, I really like your gaming table, with all that scenery.

Try to make photo's with sunlight, not artificial light.
On 1 picture I can see that it's dark outside.
Also, if you would like a new camera, I'd suggest a canon 350D.
It's a bit cheaper here, but the camera is great.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I also like your table. As stated, The Shire with Hobbit-Holes really does look great. Some of the shots actually have a nice, creepy feel to them. Like night falling in the Old Forest, and the danger moving in...

Before I saw your pictures I was also going to suggest to take them outside with natural light, which you may still be able to do with individual figures, and perhaps a little scenery, but obviously won't work with the larger table shots. If it's a bright day, opening the blinds may help a bit, but really, you may have to buy a new digital camera.

If you do so, make sure to get one with a decent macro mode, which is invaluable for taking photos of miniatures.

good luck, and I hope to see more of your miniatures and scenery!

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/
My miniatures painting blog.
 Post subject: photos
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Cool guys.
Daylight yes I can do that.

I will need some more recommendations on what to ask for while shopping for the camera. I am very new to posting photos. I really am just muddling along.
Should I move this post to Hobbies?

I will try to Take a few photos outside this after noon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:21 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Any half-decent consumer digital camera should be able to do the job these days. Just the sort of thing you can get from a KMart sale etc. Sony, Kodak, Canon etc are all good brands. Just make sure it has a macro function.

You might want to get a little tripod to go with it. Something like this:

Of course, you can spend hundreds more, or even thousands on a more expensive camera with all the frills, bells and whistles, but unless you're really taking up photography as a primary hobby (or job), it's overkill. All the mini pics on my blog are just taken with a Sony Cybershot we've had for about 5+ years (got it last time we went to New Zealand, as it happens!) and they're just fine.

Post subject: photos
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:48 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I tried the natural light. I posted 3 more photos.

Keep the advice coming. It has already helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I just looked at your new photo's in daylight, and it looks great!
Where are those tree-kind miniatures from?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

There are oodles of compact digital cameras out there. You need not go for the latest all bells and whistles version but I would look for a decent megapixel count (8 plus), a macro capability (my new one goes as close as 5cm - that's two inches) and an optical zoom with a decent wide angle - 28mm or 24mm equivalent would be even better. Get as much light as possible, and invest in some sort of photo-editing software as the galleries/forums can only accept images of approx 128Kb max size. The software can help correct over/under exposure, colour balance, crop out unwanted background and show the mini as best as possible.

And a decent camera can be used for holidays and day to day photography. Good luck! 8)

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As well as the compulsory tripod, make sure you use the timer delay function, these will then elimate all camera shake and you won't need such strong lighting. If you do use a lamp (not flourescenat as that will change the colours) make sure you do not point it direct at the model or you will get white spots with the glare, especially if the models have been varnished. And as the others have said, any half-decent camera with macro settings will do fine.
 Post subject: lighting
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:20 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

If you do use a lamp (not fluorescent as that will change the colors) make sure you do not point it direct at the model or you will get white spots with the glare, especially if the models have been varnished. And as the others have said, any half-decent camera with macro settings will do fine.

Thanks

The table photos were taken with 3 60 watt fluorescent " Politically correct"over head lamps in the ceiling fan.

I can do something about that too.

I am going to remove some of the worst photos and re-shoot them later.
I am going to label some of them better.
So Please keep the comments coming they have all helped a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well, the naturally-lit photos do look a lot more naturalistic and better than those taken indoors without a flash or extra lighting (though I did like some of those that you removed - they looked dusky and filled with foreboding - again a way to apply mood using the different light available.

You can also see the difference between those taken in direct sunlight and outdoor shade. Unless I'm going for a specific look, I prefer to use shaded sunlight, as the diffused light gives a more even look, while those taken in direct sunlight can look washed out.

I'd say 8megapixel isn't needed. You will never use the pictures taken at max resolution unless you're making posters of your photos. My current camera is 5.1 (the 5-year-old camera) and it's just fine. Having said that, the consumer cameras available all over nowadays will mostly be 8-10MP. You just won't need to take the photos on the finest detail settings, since you'll just have to shrink them down. I'd also expect that most new cameras come with some form of basic image manipulation software, so you can shrink your photos down and so forth, but it's worth checking when you go to buy/checking online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I find that just taking a LOT of photos with a digital camera helps a lot. You take a lot, then with all the small variations you'll find different ways that work(ed) to create different moods and such with lighting, so that you can replicate them next time, or when you want to achieve a specific look.

Before worrying too much about software though, select your camera, since many do come with software that will be good enough for resizing and simple colour manipulation/colour correction.

Will check out the newest photos a bit later. For now, I'm going back to bed!