All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:08 pm

Post subject: New to Wotr - Rohan Force
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:53 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi guys

I gave WoTR a go a couple of weeks ago and loved it so I decided to create an army for it. The UPS guy turned up yesterday and brought me;
Theoden
Eomer
Three hunters
Gamling with standard
Rohan command
6 Royal Knights
3 boxes of warriors
3 boxes of riders
Obviously I need some more riders in the force but I am going to get them once this lot is painted.
My questions are;
Should I split the warriors into smaller groups or have them as 1 formation with command?
I have 18 riders, should I convert a few to be outriders? are they any good in game? if not should i split them into 3 formations or 2? whats the best size for these units?
What do you suggest the next thing I buy is and why?
Thanks in advance
Rob
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

For your Rohan Warriors, I'd take between four and six companies per formation. For the Riders of Rohan, I'd take about the same (perhaps a litte more).

I don't know about the Outriders, so I can't help you there.

Next set to buy? More Riders of Rohan, as you said. Some more Rohan Warriors would be good. Maybe Erkenbrand as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

And by the way, I live in Wiltshire too. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the help, now i got to get round to painting it all, where abouts in wiltshire are you? im in swindon
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm in Trowbridge.

Post subject: Re: New to Wotr - Rohan Force
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:54 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Depending on the pointage, I think you have a very good collection there. The only things that I like in the list, and you do not have, are: Erkenbrand and Elfhelm, and Royal Knights on foot. The Royal Knights on foot could possibly be just the more heavily armoured figures out of your warriors. Radagast and Gandalf the Grey both have their good features for a cav army.

IME, six is a good size for a mounted formation. That is big enough to absorb some casualties and not so large as to be unwieldy in terms of turning when two abreast. Since I assume '6 Royal Knights' is six individual figs, three companies, then I would be looking at either some larger Rider formations or an extra little unit of three Riders as a flanking/reserve unit. So that would be one full Mounted Royal Knight unit (a mix of the correct figs and appropriate rider figs), two 6+ rider units and then either make Rider units larger or have a fourth little unit. The mounted units always want to be led by Epic heroes, not captains.

Then I suggest you use your foot to screen and try and pin the enemy so that the Cav can be preserved to make the decisive charges into flanks later in the game. The more heavily armoured foot are best for this, but militia can do the job too. I love 20pt Rohan foot bow.