All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:50 am

Post subject: Finishing Up Mines of Moria...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:21 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi Guys!

I got myself the Mines of Moria set a couple years back, and finally actually made some progress in painting and going through the scenarios. I'm wondering what is next? I like the SBG and was thinking about getting the Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers, and Return of the King supplements. Because I play solo though, that would mean I would have to get each of the minis for each scenario. Do any of you guys play this way?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:00 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have played this way. With those supplement books, you would either need giant armies worth like $150 per side or figure out how to scale it down to where it wouldn't break the bank and still be fun. You should check your local GW store and other gaming clubs for other people who play your game. I'm not entirely sure how the rest of the world is, but since GW won't be stocking store shelves with the SBG source books anymore, I'd assume that people don't really play that system anymore, so you might not find many people who do play, but don't give up, and if you do, there's always War of the Ring if you like that system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:39 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hi drwonga and welcome to OR! If you are into scenario-style playing, Fellowship is a good book. The number of models required to play is quite limited so it does not get too hard to collect them all. Some of the source books, like Arnor, are also good for that style of playing. They contain several scenarios and since the scenarios are typically centred around two armies, you don't need zillions of different armies to play them.

I don't play solo, but since none of my current gaming friends own any LotR minis, I have to collect all the minis we need to play. Scenario-style playing fits this style well.

-- Pasi
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Is the War of the Ring mainly used for large skirmishes? Are there still scenarios for these new rules or can they be scaled down? I really like the smaller skirmishes outlined by the strategy game. How many more scenarios do the three supplements provide? (Fellowship/Two Towers/Return of the King)

And are they really getting rid of the SBG? A couple weeks ago, I visited a local GamesWorkshop store-they still looked like they had the supplements... :roll:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:34 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

War of the Ring isn't a skirmish battle game, it's a tray-formation battle game. Not my cup of tea, personally. Thankfully I've already bought every sourcebook, and

The SBG books are still available online, and the individual stores will probably carry them until they sell out.

IMHO, based on nothing at all :) is that SBG is going to get a refresh. If GW gets the license for the Hobbit, it will probably go a long way to regenerating interest in SBG. The story lends itself to SBG-style games, with WotR games only being useful at the very end.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Whafrog, did you mean you download the books? :O
Or online in the stores?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
IMHO, based on nothing at all :) is that SBG is going to get a refresh. If GW gets the license for the Hobbit, it will probably go a long way to regenerating interest in SBG. The story lends itself to SBG-style games, with WotR games only being useful at the very end.

That seems logical...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wait, they're trying to get The Hobbit? Perhaps it is just a refresh then. Does that mean they'll come out with a new rule book and have all the source book profiles in it too?

WotR is for the bigger games, and maybe not for the end, I'd have to read the book again. The Hobbit scenarios won't work with the WotR system. If you try playing a 2000 point SBG game, it would take a few days to finish. Play a 2000 point WotR game and the time will vary, usually 2+ hours. I think both are fun in my opinion, being two different styles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Because I'm just beginning, I think I will stick with the SBG for now. I am stopping by the store today and will try to pickup a copy of Fellowship. (And maybe some figures) I don't know enough about the other armies yet to start collecting, so following through the books would at least get me exposed to all the different types eventually!

I hope GamesWorkshop does refresh SBG-and if they do, that could only mean good things for the rest of us "longer term" players!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

drwonga wrote:
I am stopping by the store today and will try to pickup a copy of Fellowship.

Why are you getting another Fellowship? Haven't you got the Fellowship from the Mines of Moria set?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

General Elessar wrote:
Why are you getting another Fellowship? Haven't you got the Fellowship from the Mines of Moria set?

I believe he means the Supplement.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I believe, based nothing more than half-memory of some online discussions at the time, that the Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers and Return of the King journeybooks were written to accommodate new players who had bought The Mines of Moria supplement. Rules missing in MoM were reprinted (apparently) in FOTR.

So, get those. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:45 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Lord Hurin wrote:
General Elessar wrote:

I believe he means the Supplement.

My bad... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Sorry about that-I did mean the supplements! So there ARE missing rules in the Fellowship of the Ring eh? Good to know! I noticed the mini manual I have does not have all the stats for some of the different armies-elves for instance. Will those stats be found in their associated supplements (Two Towers/Return of the King) or do I have to get the LOTR book?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:41 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The giant lotr book has many of the basic profiles, although you'll have to spend extra money to buy other supplements.