All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:52 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

the elves are good. not only do they look great (if painted decently) but also with a score of 3+ to use your bow what could go wrong. also their fighting skill is good. but say if you were to have an army of rohirim riders as a sort of "battering ram" if you will then have about 40 elf bowmen to hail volleys of death to whatever force is remaining or poses a thrat to either units. the uruks are good with strength but when it comes to using shooting they arent the bestest of choice in my oppinion. i mean 4+ :/..my rohirim have that unfortunately but then again...the riders are fun and you get more rohirim warriors due to their low points. but in overall answer to your question it is entirely up to you. but myself i would pick elves.

Post subject: Re: satrting elves/uruk-hai
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:03 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

spuds4ever wrote:
rrrdgames wrote:
Hi i am sort of new to lotr battle game i have been playing warhammer for 2 years but have always liked lotr now i want to start playing it by starting with elves or uruk-hai i do not know which one to start with so could anyone tell me there advantages and disadvantages so i could finally make up my mind.

Thanks. :?

These are the good and evil equivilents the supreme race of each side. They both cost lots in troops, uruk-hai have very tough troops with high, fight, strength, and defence so you'll be superior to almost every enemy. Dis advantages are that Isengard don't get any really epic fighting heroes like Gothmog, Boromir etc.. Which elves do you mean by the way.

I think he meant the high elves, he bought a box of high elves, as stated in a post somewhere.. up there.

I'm no expert with elves, I never really liked them, nor the uruk hai, so I can't help you that much rrrdgames.
But I can say that elves are very annoying to fight against, and the high elves don't have that much choise in their armies.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
But I can say that elves are very annoying to fight against, and the high elves don't have that much choise in their armies.

yeah i agree high elves dont have much choice. there armys can be a bit boring having only normal warriors and some horsmen (if you can be botherd converting them) but they do have some awsome heros and they look pretty cool :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

High elves, I agree, do not have any troop choice really. Though they do have arguably the best heroes in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:25 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Glorfindel for a start. hes the most insane out of all the elves. he kamikaze'd a BALROG then simply walked away. not to mention he looks great. its a pity they didnt ecorporate him into the film, would have been nice :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Actually he died fighting the balrog if I recall but was ressurcted by the valar.

But I digress.

Both armies are limited in their range of soldiers when compared to a Gondorian or Mordor force, but what they lack in options they more than make up for in power.

Someone mentioned firepower above and it being a tough choice between elven bows and crossbows, and it;s not only the weapon that matters but the guy that's firing it. Elves are blessed with a high shoot value so as well as hitting more often with the bow, you're doing mroe damage when compared to a normal bow (although we're seeing weapons get stronger as new books are released). On the other hand, if you keep uruk-hair crossbowmen near your main force, once they're in range you most likely have stronger firepower to play with against your enemy (unless they're using a bolt thrower!).

Speed and manuverability is also important and once again this is a close battle. Elves can freely move through wooded areas and on some boards this can be a very useful tactic, for example placing your archers on the edge of the wood, and then when they're about to be engaged, moving them through the woodland and leaving your enemy having to stumble through. On the other hand High Elves have no cavalry models to form a unit with, whereas the White Hand can bring warg riders to the battle, useful for flanking, and sometimes dealing with archers that are raining steel-tipped death on your troops.

And in close combat, despite High Elves being more talented fighters with a higher weapon skill, the Uruk-Hai can wield pikes and have just as good odds at winning a fight.

Finally, High Elves definitely have superior heroes with the likes of Elrond and Glorfindel to lead them, whereas Saruman is the only uber-strong hero that Isengard has to offer. But you pay for what you get, with High Elf heroes being very costly as opposed to the numerous named captains in Isengard with nice little special rules. And don't forget, although High Elf heroes are good, they can only be in one place at one time.

Personally I'd go for High Elves for their staying power as well as good defence making them a solid force with high courage values but also able to dish out damage with the use of their elven blades and elven longbows. If you, however, think that the fighting Uruk-Hai are more up your street however with higher strengths and mroe powerful weapons, then good luck fighting for the White Hand.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gwaryan wrote:
Actually he died fighting the balrog if I recall but was ressurcted by the valar.

I think that was a different Glorfindel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

It was the same Glorfy-he came back at the same time as when the Wizards were sent in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:37 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Didn't Tolkien left that option open, for the readers to fantasize about?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

ShadowMaster26 wrote:
It was the same Glorfy-he came back at the same time as when the Wizards were sent in.

Maybe you're right. In my humble opinion they're still two different Glorfindels though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

either way he kamikaze'd a balrog. and this is an elf were talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You guys need to read the Simlarilion. Elf vs. Balrog wasn't that uncommon. Unfortunately the SBG game can't adequately represent a Noldor of the First Age.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

akûl-ak wrote:
either way he kamikaze'd a balrog. and this is an elf were talking about.

He was one of the greatest Elf lords. Ever.