All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

Post subject: Returning Player needs a spot of guidance
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all,

I first started wargaming back with the LOTR DeAgostini magazine quite some time ago, before progressing into 40K and X-Wing. These days, I have a friend who occasionally likes to play a wargame with me, and we're finding 40K too large/time consuming to setup and play in the timeframe we have available. As such, I thought I'd delve back into my roots, and as I just picked up a large amount of unpainted LOTR, decided it would be a logical choice. At first I feared that LOTR was on the way out, but the seemingly thriving Great British Hobbit League has convinced me that I won't be investing in a dying game.

So, to business. In a nutshell, could someone tell me what current ruleset is used, and which books are valid? I can't seem to find anywhere that tells me precisely which books/supplement are currently canon for tournament use, and contain the most up to profiles. Many thanks.
 Post subject: Re: Returning Player needs a spot of guidance
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The main Hobbit rulebook is the last en correct ruleset along with the 5 lotr sourcebooks. But only 2 are still available.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:38 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

That would be 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' right? And not 'The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug'? And regardless of which one it is, does a smaller paperback version come with the Escape from Goblintown boxset? Or do they literally just provide some cutdown version of the rules with that box?

If it's the first, £50 is a bleeding high price for a rulebook!
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yes, the small paperback rulebook comes with the escape from goblintown boxset. It's the full rules, just the fluff/extra profiles cut out.

Yes, AUJ, not DoS for the rules.
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:31 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Asamu wrote:
Yes, the small paperback rulebook comes with the escape from goblintown boxset. It's the full rules, just the fluff/extra profiles cut out.

Yes, AUJ, not DoS for the rules.

By 'extra profiles', do you mean the stats for various faction models? If so, are those stats in the sourcebooks? Or do you HAVE to get the large rulebook plus the sourcebooks to have the stats for all units?

Also, I'm afraid I have no idea what AUJ or DoS mean.
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:26 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Welcome back to the hobby!

First of, AUJ - An unexpected journey DoS - Desolation of Smaug :)

The main rulebook is the big Hobbit rulebook (AUJ). The smaller paperback version from the "Escape from Goblin Town" boxed set includes all the rules, but (if memory serves me correct) only includes the profiles for Thorin's company, along with the profiles for heroes and warriors from Goblin Town. The big rulebook also contains the profiles for Azog's hunters, Rivendell knights, warriors of Erebor etc. There is also a sourcebook for DoS with the rules for Mirkwood rangers, Tauriel and so on, and a "sourcebook" for BotFA (Battle of the five armies). The BotFA one can be downloaded for free from GW:

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-NO/The ... e-Game-PDF

Profiles for the models in the LOTR range are covered in five sourcebooks, but only two are still available from GW (namely "Mordor" and "Moria and Angmar"). "Free peoples", "Fallen realms" and "Kingdoms of Men" are all out of print. I am afraid you will need all of them if you want all the profiles.

I hope this helps!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This gave me an affordable start at whatever faction I wanted and then I can pick up the source books as I find them.

http://lonelyknight.0fees.net

Also I bought the larger version of the Unexpected Journey book and don't regret it at all. It has great galleries and stats for all models thusfar. Missing special rules and point values but its a nice quick ref. I also have the Escape from Goblin Town book. It has all necessities, nice to bring to tournaments. But I love my big hard cover.
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Many thanks for the welcome and the help gentlemen.
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You can download the profiles from the Hobbit book in the errata section of the GW Website at http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rul ... bit-errata