All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:31 am

Post subject: Miniatures Supply on Ebay Drying Up?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:36 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Is it me, but have people noticed that there aren't many miniatures available on ebay anymore? It could be the case that those who bought miniatures and decided to get out of the game have sold what they had and those of us who still play have bought them up.

It appears that there may not be a golden horde in someone's closet that we all want to get our hand on. I still need Corsair arlbalesters and Harad Warriors with blowpipe. :sad:
 Post subject: Re: Miniatures Supply on Ebay Drying Up?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:06 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I disagree. I find the supply on ebay to be pretty ample. Certain figures are insanely over-priced or hard to come by, admittedly. However, I find the supply to be pretty cyclical; a certain fig will disappear for a few weeks and then be in overabundance a month later. These are just my experiences, though, so take them at face value. I must also say that I've never looked for the minis you mentioned...

Edit: Here's an arbalester for you, being sold by a German seller (of which there are a few that peddle OOP figs).

Last edited by Monotone_Matt on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I Have noticed thinks drying up as well. Not only has the quantity been going down but lately when I come across something I actually want the price is just rediculously high.

I have noticed this change in the last year because last year about this time I was ordering models online on a weekly basis and still getting some good deals in my book.

It makes me nervous about the future of the game which I know will not be supported forever...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:19 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I find that it is cyclical.
It took me a little over three years to complete my collection once I got back into the game. Be patient. Everything ends up on eBay eventually.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:53 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

This is something I have been noticing myself lately.
There are pieces I am still looking for to complete my modest collection.
The quality and availability have been diminishing over the past few months.

I actively watch Ebay and GW's site every day to review the offerings.
I see the same things... Cyclical. Overpriced OOP.
Some nicely painted stuff and horribly painted stuff.
Understandably some don't want painted models, or want to hassle stripping plastic.

I feel (IMHO) that our collective is very tuned into what is happening.
My speculation is as interest wanes, availability and prices will increase.
The desire for LOTR collectibles is still strong, even among non-SBG'ers.
Do all you can to shore up your existing collection now.

For myself, the One-Ring has an excellent Forum for trading.
Get on board and start trading your excess.
I used this with great success over the last year-and-a-half.
For this I thank all the members and Ringwraiths!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:15 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

In general, the price has been going up. Still, many of the models included in BGiME are much cheaper than from GW itself. Armies that are popular have always gone for outrageous prices. (Easterlings, I'm looking at you!) Dwarves are hot right now and finding metal dwarf models for cheap will not happen.

Also, watch that exchange rate! I find that British Pound doesn't fluxuate against the Canadian $ like the US $ does. The Euro is relatively low right now, so buying from Ireland and Europe has strong pros for me. Also, I find UK shipping has really gone up this year. Ebay has a built-in currency converter, which I love.

Hobbit Trilogy models can be had marginally cheaper than from GW, but I find with the shipping it's better to save up and buy direct.

I find N. America to have little selection and be very expensive. I use the UK site, most are willing to ship to Canada. I also have favorite sellers I've bought from for several years and know that I like to pay once a month to save on shipping. Most of the big sellers are pretty good about this, especially if you have a big order, have bought lots or have been reliably paying when asked.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I agree that there is a cycle to it. It is usually for a period of weeks that the market is good, and then for a couple months the market is bad. I experience the same problems you all have, but being in the US makes some of them worse. The rally behind the game is not as large here, so there are not as many buyers/sellers. And when they are, they gouge you for prices. I have seen as stupidly ridiculous as 40 dollars for the newer 12 pack of WoMT. Total foolishness. I do get some good deals at time. Just recently I got a spider queen with swarm for 12 USD cheaper than what GW is asking for. So no complaints there.

Of course the largest problem in the US is that many people start the hobby, and then give it up rather quickly because it is a costly investment. So many of the pieces I see are terribly painted or ill taken care of and broken or the seller is lying about it with false pictures(I somehow ended up with Sharku ridding a three legged warg despite the pic showing all four limbs there, hmmmm, curious). I am no pro, but I DO take value of my pieces and prefer to be able to get them new on sprue. I have purchased a few put together and painted pieces before though because I wanted to increase my collection in that faction and they were cheap(best deal ever was 36 haradrim warriors for 20 USD with a half dozen badly painted that I stripped and redid).

Overall, I do prefer to try and purchase from overseas, because even though the shipping goes up, you good people in the UK, AUS, NZ, and Europe have a much better idea of how to price.

I think it is all just a matter of patience and having to be a good searcher for what you want.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:26 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It depends on what you're looking for. Plastic troops can be had for super cheap. I got the old RotK box for $25 dollars, 48 minis and some terrain for that price is insane. I also got a box of about 60 Moria goblins, a couple heroes, a cave troll, a warg chieftain, some old wargs, 9 Prowlers and 6 spiders for $70.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:56 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It makes sense that it goes in a cycle, doesn't it? A few sell in high dollar auctions, and then after some time, people see the prices and sell off what they either don't need or simply don't like more than the cash. I'd consider myself an avid collector and fan (though I definitely don't have everything) but after seeing the going rate for some things like Arathorn and Halbarad, even I'm tempted to sell.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

i could never sell a figure i only have one of, it would make the collection incomplete. Crazy prices on some figures recenlty, a Halbarad sold for £170 on ebay last week, UK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Harfoot wrote:
i could never sell a figure i only have one of, it would make the collection incomplete. Crazy prices on some figures recenlty, a Halbarad sold for £170 on ebay last week, UK

Mine is nowhere near complete. Mostly because as the line got on, there were more and more things I absolutely detested in my core. Now, those are some of the things that cost the most money so I'm even more unlikely to get them and will almost certainly never have "one of everything."

Especially considering the fact that I would consider things like Thorongil, Beruthiel, etc to be necessities to completing the entire range.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:51 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Lord Hurin wrote:

Especially considering the fact that I would consider things like Thorongil, Beruthiel, etc to be necessities to completing the entire range.

I know what you mean, there is always one more figure to get isn't there, be it a rare, an unreleased, etc. I guess that what makes it a great hobby.

Good luck with you collection

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Harfoot wrote:
I know what you mean, there is always one more figure to get isn't there, be it a rare, an unreleased, etc. I guess that what makes it a great hobby.

Good luck with you collection

Thanks mate! As it stands now, there are only a couple of things I'm kicking myself over missing. Most of the rest of my wants are army fillers that I can still get, so I'm pretty happy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I wanted to buy a Shade model on eBay and waited for weeks for one to show up - and then it went for £55! For one model!
I can't even!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:12 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I use the Warhammer Spirit Hosts as proxies. They actually look really good and are very different to paint, as they are so 3D. I had lots of fun with these guys.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:33 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I like the Warhammer Spirit Hosts more than the old Shade model.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

PeterOfDale wrote:
I wanted to buy a Shade model on eBay and waited for weeks for one to show up - and then it went for £55! For one model!
I can't even!

Every time I see these items going for silly money I am so tempted to sell my collection. I have resisted as I think I would regret it later on.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It is definitely a sellers market right now. Especially if you have the oop metals. I have also thought about cashing in on some of the metals that I have multiples of, but then I slap myself for being so ridiculous and remind myself that multiples are neccessary for any army. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:54 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Just sold "Fate of the Witch King" and the Tainted as i had spares