All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:34 am

Post subject: Re: What is the most you have ever paid for a blister?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:32 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The most i ever paid was 22 euro for the Finecast dwarf commanders box from my local Art and Hobby. The worst part? they said there was a half price clearance sale - they actually had the cheek the scale up GW prices. Then the models, being early finecast, fell apart when i opened the box. they were actually part of my first purchase and the second batch of miniatures i ever painted.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That reminds me how the sword from my mounted Elrond (most expensive blister before my latest order) broke off for no apparent reason when assembling it. And it took me ages to get it glued on again.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Probably just €25 for Gandalf the Grey foot/mounted. Which isn't bad, considering it was already OOP for a good while at the time.
Just pre-ordered two Mirkwood cavalry for the same price.

Don't think I actually paid more than than the original RRP on anything else - mostly lucky enough to buy everything I wanted when it was generally available in stores, and lucky enough not to desperately want that 4th Mordor Uruk-hai or something like that. :wink:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The first purchase I ever made for LOTR figures was for 1,000.00 USD. I bought an entire collection on Bartertown from a guy getting out of the hobby. I paid about 30 cents on the dollar. It had everything ever released up until the point of purchase. In today's market, it would probably fetch triple the price. The guy was a hobby store employee and he kept at least one box/blister of each release for himself. This was my introduction into GW LOTR and the first figures I ever bought. Talk about jumping right in!!!

About 5 years ago I responded to an ad where a guy wanted to trade a box of GW LOTR stuff for a American Civil War plastic playset. I had the set (I am also a toy soldier collector) and I had paid 8 bucks for it at a flea market. He said he had a box full of unopened blisters that he had kept in his barn. He bought them at a hobby store closing and never got around to using them.

So, I sent him the Civil War set and in return came 73 unopened blisters. Some of which were ridiculously hard to find. He was satisfied with the plastic set and boy was I happy!! I've since made many, many deals with toy soldier collectors who come across GW stuff cheap. They are a great source.

Final story. I placed an ad on a site wanting to trade Perry AWI figures for GW LOTR
related stuff. A gent in the UK traded a complete set of BGIME (up to issue 57) with the figures, for the Perry AWI figures. Historical wargamers are another excellent source.

If my wife sees this, I'm dead.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:23 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nevinsrip wrote:
If my wife sees this, I'm dead.

Ha ha. I can relate to that. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:22 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

~£19 for a nice metal Balrog. Still one of my fave models

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I got a great deal this week, BGIME magazines + models, nr. 5 till 31, for the great price of only 20,-!! Also had some extra's Aragon king mt. and Gandalf the White mt and the Tomb of Balin.

So this was a total bargin! But still wanted to share this with you guys;)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think the most I have spent on a single blister (not counting the new finecast prices of £27 for a foot and mounted) was around the 10-15 mark. I have been tending to try and scrounge ready put together models at the least currently. greatest ebay coups so far were the Balrog and Gandalf box set new for £11 and a neat little lot of War Leader Shagrat and 12 Black Guard for £33 including postage
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

There is a Faramir, Captain of Ithilien blister going for £55 on eBay right now. I've been sorely tempted to buy it but it is a bit much as I am travelling to China next week.

Shame, as it is a miniature I REALLY like, and (apart from the trebuchet) the only Gondor mini I don't have.

The most expensive blister I've bought was probably...... hmm.... I guess Thranduil foot and mounted for £27. I have to say I did not like the Finecast at first but I think I prefer the weight to the metal figures... it's the only consolation about the price I guess... I remember when GW metal miniatures went for £5 for four per blister...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:36 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I paid £35 for a named Nazgul, can't remember which one now as i couldn't find him in my collection. Then after it arrived i found my original one in my display cabinet, doooh!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Dr Grant wrote:
I reckon the Mauhur's Command blister is one of the dependable rarities that consistently generates the most obscene prices.

I got 2 NIB sets of those for £25 combined :lol:

Most I have spent on a single model...probably the £37 worth of models for a Gandalf the grey mtd. Been quite lucky in that regard, managed to pick up most things before they went oop.

This past summer I paid $90.00 for this blister. I'm not proud, but I am happy that I have collected 1 of every sculpt for the metal scouts.
Well... except for that hard to find Captain with the two-handed axe. I hope I never see him on eBay. :(

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Da Great MC wrote:
Gandalf The Grey ft & mtd, Isildur ft & mtd, Mahud King ft & mtd, Mauhurs Marauders Command and Kardush The Firecaller all sold for over £40 when I put them on Ebay in May.

Damn, guess I shouldn't have chopped up my second mounted Isildur, eh? :o

As for my highest-priced blister, I guess it would be the Dwarf 3-packs from The Hobbit line at $50Cdn a pop. Before that and in metal, it would have been $35Cdn for Shadowlord or Khamul ft & mtd.

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Recently I spent ~$40 for a finecast OOP Thranduil model.
Silly thing is that other OOP metals remain a certain value. If you would ever decide to sell them they're still worth atleast 50% after stripping them... Sadly that is not the case with finecast since it's impossible to strip those without damaging the model...

Anyways.... I got him, and I'm proud!... Altough it feels like I commited a sin. ;)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:13 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think i paid nearly a £100 for a OOP Mithril Miniature

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I don't pay anything because I cannot bring myself to do it. I either convert it or look for pieces in ebay lots. The price efficiency, from a frugal standpoint, is a lot lower than going with the other sets like the plastic boxes. Maybe I would buy 4 uruk-hai berserkers for 15 bucks or 4 hobbit archers for 10, but...

(CE) Battle Companies 2016 Edition