All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:45 am

Post subject: Wargames Factory....would you recommend it?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

^what the title says........just curious as i have been looking at several of their products namely the Saxons/Vikings/Celts/Ancient Germans who i would substitute for Wildmen of Dunlend. I know the figures are taller (closer to Warhammer Fantasy i believe), but would anyone recommend the actual company?

one more thing..... can the figures components be swapped out with each other? Example- Saxon torso with Celt legs .... or even just weapon swaps?
 Post subject: Re: Wargames Factory....would you recommend it?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

All their older ranges, including all those you mention are very, very poor figures. Try Gripping Beast plastics instead. In fact try anything else including cut up plastic hair rollers instead :rofl:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:37 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

thanks for the input :) ......yeah, they are not the greatest quality however i was focusing on the price and i would prefer the location to be in the US (trying to keep the shipping costs down).....

i was really wondering if anyone had problems when purchasing from Wargames Factory.....as in poor customer service
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think they are well on top of the customer service issues they may have suffered in the past 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:25 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

alright, thanks :)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I ordered a bunch of persians from them. Them came quickly and were packed well. Their shipping is also pretty reasonable. 8)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

thanks!!! oh, and it was on your WIP that i first heard of Wargames Factory :)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I also ordered some Persians (and bases) after seeing them in avenger's thread. The proportions are a bit chunky on those models. I don't know if I would call them heroic 28mm but they aren't exactly true scale. Whether this was a stylistic choice or just cheap sculpting, I don't know.

Everything arrived in a reasonable time period and was well packed. I've never seen 28mm get any cheaper than those Persians. Nothing on the site is at a bad price.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Jamros wrote:
I also ordered some Persians (and bases) after seeing them in avenger's thread. The proportions are a bit chunky on those models. I don't know if I would call them heroic 28mm but they aren't exactly true scale. Whether this was a stylistic choice or just cheap sculpting, I don't know.

Everything arrived in a reasonable time period and was well packed. I've never seen 28mm get any cheaper than those Persians. Nothing on the site is at a bad price.

Indeed, the heads are a bit large, and the figures don't have a ton of definition and detial as compared to GW figures (especially the hyper detailed haradrim raiders...). But, they're cheap as...really cheap figures, and on the table they look fine.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Gripping Beast appear at first glance to have the same wonkey sculpt style as wargames. I'm really happy with Perry, and Fireforge miniatures right now. Interchangeable and same scale as SBG
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:41 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have my complaints, but I'm not knocking Wargames Factory, btw. I would recommend them. They fill a lot of market gaps and are cheap. Their WWII models look really great.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Of the sets you mentioned, the Saxons and Vikings are considerably better IMO than the Celts, and while I don't own any of the Germanic barbarians they look somewhere in between to me. The details are just shallower on the Celts, and having some of both I think I would get Warlord's plastic Celts before getting the WGF models. The Warlord Germanic Tribesmen come with several bodies wearing fur cloaks, too, which would fit in with the LotR wild men of Dunland.

Gripping Beast and WGF armored Vikings and Saxons are pretty compatible, check out this article for a comparison. When done up by the same painter, they're not terribly different.

In terms of interchangeable parts, the legs and torso on WGF Vikings and Saxons are a single piece, so you won't be able to swap Viking/Saxon legs or torsos with Germanic/Celt legs or torsos. The Celt command figures' legs and torsos are also a single piece, and I think one of the Germans is a single piece legs/torso. All of the Celts' left arms are part of the torso, so only the right arms are separate. Any other heads, arms, and weapons should be completely interchangeable, though, and torsos should be interchangeable between the Celts and Germans.

Also, while taller than GW LotR models, if you remove the integrated base then obviously that will bring them down a bit, so they'll be closer in size.

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:24 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sorry for such a late reply :oops:

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Yes Hirumith, that was extremely helpful (and thanks for link......on that site i discovered how i will make osgiliath ruins :-D )

Hirumith, the Grey Knight wrote:
In terms of interchangeable parts, the legs and torso on WGF Vikings and Saxons are a single piece, so you won't be able to swap Viking/Saxon legs or torsos with Germanic/Celt legs or torsos. The Celt command figures' legs and torsos are also a single piece, and I think one of the Germans is a single piece legs/torso. All of the Celts' left arms are part of the torso, so only the right arms are separate. Any other heads, arms, and weapons should be completely interchangeable, though, and torsos should be interchangeable between the Celts and Germans

Lol....my bad. All in all i would say i had given very poor choices regarding interchangeable body parts :oops:

I have yet to purchase any warriors from Wargames Factory (though i very much intend to) however i did order 3 sets of the Horse Bundle...a total of 36 horses. It was a pleasure to do business with the company. The items were well packed and arrival time was ideal (for me at least :-D ). I was surprisingly impressed with the quality of the horses. Though perhaps not official GW quality, the numerous poses available makes up for it imho (as long as you don't mind sculpting on saddles, bridles, reins...). Anyway.... i hope to acquire the box sets of Vikings/Saxons/etc very soon :)

And one final question....do the Wargames Factory Orcs scale well? i have seen samoht's WIP where he uses them as Mordor Uruk-Hai.....but how about placing them in an Isengard Force to be used as regular orcs? Would they make the fighting Uruk-Hai look like midgets? Just curious (as always).
Thanks again :)