All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 pm

Post subject: eBob Miniatures
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Quick supplier review - Ebob Miniatures, Rebellion Range, http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/rebellion.htm

One word, fantastic! Ebob has a great selection of miniatures available and I was keen to get my hands on some to expand my Southern Fiefdoms. I was a little hesitant with regards to scale, not being able to compare first hand can leave you feeling silly after receiving items (Mithril models are for example 32mm tall on average). But I am pleased to report most of the items I bought from Ebob are to scale with Games Workshops LOTR plastic ranges and many of the metal models. Indeed they are so close I have been able to give some models headswaps and they look proportionally correct.

The ordering process was a smooth one, we discussed order details and available stock before I ordered direct from the site. Ebob kept me up to date with my order which was posted within 2 days and arrived before the end of the week! He also very kindly included a Mounted Metal King Edward I. Photos below of items I ordered and how they fit in.

One thing to note, items are finely sculpted and so beginners may struggle to achieve good painting results. Also the generic warriors are slightly smaller than GW plastics. I simply added milliput to the bases to add height to the models.

Rebellion
William Wallace, Guardian of Scotland (2 miniatures) £8.00

Henry de Bohun mtd £6.00
Henry de Bohun £3.00

Scots Clansmen (9) £12.00

English foot (9) x2 £24.00

English Longbowmen (16) £18.00

English Knights (3) x 2 £24.00

I also bought some assorted weapons and shields, lots of conversion possibilities now! Check out my Southern Fiefdoms thread for conversion ideas. Size comparison shots below. As you can see in the final image, Wallace is tall by LOTR standards, perfect for use as Lord Hurin the Tall, Warden of the Keys. I hope this inspires some of you to take the plunge and buy some very reasonably priced metal miniatures with plenty of details and charisma. Ebob comes highly recommended! :)

Post subject: Re: eBob Miniatures
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:42 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Absolutely love eBob Miniatures, especially the Western the Rebellion ranges. I couldn't really get interested in the Rebellion game itself, but I may visit it again sometime soon. The models, however, are some of the best medieval 28mm miniatures out there, especially since there doesn't seem to be a lot of companies concerned with the High Middle Ages (Perry, for example, has ranges dealing with the Early and Late Middle Ages only). Rebellion models really have that "classic" medieval look, for sure. I've been watching Recon 28, his forthcoming Vietnam range, closely.

For those interested in using eBob Miniatures as LotR proxies, you might be interested in eBob's Towns Folk and Pony blisters (Fantasy page, scroll down). The Towns Folk strongly resemble (wink, wink) Barliman Butterbur, Bill Ferny, and Harry Goatleaf from the film version of FotR. The pony looks more like Bill the Pony than GW's model does. I own all of those models and can recommend them. Sculptors might also find the dwarf and halfling puppets useful (Products Sold With Commercial License page). On the components and spares page, eBob has some Swan Knight helms which are ideal for converting plastic (and plastic only) Warriors or Knights of Minas Tirith into Knights or Men-at-Arms of Dol Amroth, though they are currently out of stock. I have a pack of the heads and can also recommend them if they come back in stock.

Once upon a time, eBob made numerous figures that were clearly based on LotR, including the likenesses of Aragorn and Boromir sitting down, Frodo in the clutches of the Watcher's tentacle, and a Dunedain Ranger. Due to a copyright claim, he no longer sells those models, but its pretty clear that our friend eBob has taken a lot of inspiration from film (The Fellowship of the Ring, Braveheart, The Great Escape, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, A Fistful of Dollars, etc) ;)

eBob is great with customer service, too. I once ordered the Western Gunfighter from him, only to be told it was out of stock. When I received the email notifying me that it had shipped, I waited over a month with no sign of the model; after contacting eBob with fears it had been lost in the mail, he unhesitatingly mailed out another one! He's also a member of this forum, though I've not seen him on in a very long time. He's very busy, I think.

Really great guy, really marvelous miniatures. Just wish I had the means to support him more! :) Excellent review by the way, great shots of some of the models. If you end up using them for Rebellion instead of LotR, let me know your honest opinion of the game.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:35 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

just found me my fiefdoms! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:40 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

chang1701 wrote:
just found me my fiefdoms! :)

ditto :wink:

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:25 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The Giant Spiders from ebob look cool. The Rebellion range isn't evil enough looking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ooh, I like, very, very much... I may have to get some stuff from this place. Thanks for posting the pictures!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I placed a large order and received everything quickly and in good order. Ebob is a really nice guy to deal with. I bought Scots (for Axmen) Mongols (for Southerns) 100 of the Swan Knight heads (for conversions) and several weapons packs. Great stuff. I'll be placing another order shortly.

If you don't know about it, Back Tree Design is another source for non GW LOTR figures. They just had a 50% off sale, and boy did I load up. I got all kinds of knights and footmen that I can do some head swaps on to make various Fifedom units. BTD carries the old Harliquen range of LOTR figures and there are plenty to choose from. I also stocked up on Crusaders which will fill in my Fifedom cavalry units. They also sell weapons packs and shields of every sort.
I suggest that you go to the BTD site and sign up for their newsletter, it's free. The members get special deals and discounts and it comes out about once a week. If you are a smart shopper, you can save a bundle and build up a nice Fifedoms army without mortgaging your house to buy GW products.

One note of caution. I deal with John of the US branch of BTD. His service is outstanding and I usually get my order within a week. I can absolutely vouch for his integrity.
I have read and heard some not so good things about BTD in the UK. Orders never shipped, long delays and other such headaches. Most of this comes from TMP (The Miniatures Page). I guess that if you're in the UK, you should ask around before ordering.

Lord Erk and I have gone back and forth with Fiefdom conversion ideas. Right now, I am using Conquest Games Knights, the fantastic Tuetonic Knights from Fireforge and parts and pieces from both plastic KODA and Minas Titith plastics. I am mixing and matching arms and heads and having a great time doing it. Maybe Lord Erk will post the photos that I sent him here. I don' t know how to do it and I think the results are pretty good.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Glad to see so many here enjoying Ebobs Miniatures :)

Jamros - great review! I completely agree with your post and especially the bit concerning periods of the Middle Ages. I forgot to mention because the models are generally thinner than GW metals they are much quicker to paint, especially if you like using washes! Also 9 different poses for the clansmen (not the same old GW 3). The English Knights vary too.

Nevinsrip - so that's where ALL the Swan Knight Heads went! :P Yep as we've discussed in detail previous there are so many fantastic replicas out there, all it takes is a bit of imagination, research and the guts to lop a few heads off! :rofl:

Here are the pics mate, fantastic work, please post some more

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow, nice guys nevinsrip. (I'm assuming those pics erky posted are of your guys...)
The freehand trees look awesome. The two things I could see that need improving are the horses: get rid of the mold lines, or fill the joins or whatever it is, also, give them another highlight, and improve the bases. (Just plain flock does not look good imho.)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:39 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I have several hundred Ebob minis - none painted and most of them still in component pieces, but I will get around to them in due time. He is a great sculptor and the service is top class. Good painter also - check out his website!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:46 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yes, those are my figures. They are Works in Progress shots. The "mold lines" on the horses are mot mold lines they are straps that extend to the horses rear end. As for the terraining, those are just the beginnings of what will eventually be a fully terrained model.

I am sad to reply that I am not good with computers. Perhaps some kind soul knows how to move these pix to the Conversions board where they should go. Thanks in advance....Bill
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

EBob has been a member of the site since our earliest days and has contributed a number of magnificent articles to the library here. He's a great bloke and has built himself a business making some of the best 28mm figures on the market. Many of the figures in his range were done with a 'tip of the hat' to the LOTR range and can be easily incorporated into it - the Feifdoms and Easterlings especially. But individual models such as the Wallace figure and Lady Greensleeves have made it into my collection (as a Dunland Captain and Eowyn respectively).

I am glad to see that he has been rediscovered by our more recent members and hope it encourages him to extend his fantasy range even further. Oh, and the giant spiders are probably the most creepy model spiders on the market today - my wife refuses to come in the room when I have two of these guys on my display shelf.

Another great sculptor and One Ring member is UKFreddyBear - http://www.majesticbear.net - maker of the BEST Ents in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:34 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Dagorlad wrote:

Another great sculptor and One Ring member is UKFreddyBear - http://www.majesticbear.net - maker of the BEST Ents in the world.

I second that ..... Outstanding work!

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:10 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dagorlad wrote:
Oh, and the giant spiders are probably the most creepy model spiders on the market today - my wife refuses to come in the room when I have two of these guys on my display shelf.

Good to know, a couple of packs of 3 would be cheaper than GW and they look cooler.

Yes, ukfreedybear (and natarn) are in similar positions.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Threadromancy--

There's been a handful of releases since this thread died down, but eBob is now set for a major release with his 28mm Normans. They will be shipping the first week in January--but if you order them now, you get free shipping.

http://ebobminiatures.com/products/darkages.htm
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:22 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ooooh they look a bargain! Details look splendid, maybe only negative would be they all have similar poses. Thanks for pointing them out! :-D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

eBob is a great supplier. Has someone used his Swan Knight heads to convert the GW Swan Knights?

I noticed how the helmets of the new plastics and the older metals look different - really irritates me.