All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:13 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28
 Post subject: Re: MESBG army building spreadsheet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:38 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey guys, I feel really dumb, but I really want to use this. I made my army its a 500 point Mordor Army with the WK and Troll Cheiftan and a rabble of Orcs. How exactly do I print this? Believe it or not I have NEVER used a Spreadsheet before. I am using Google Sheets - Does this work? When I go to the "printable extras" There is lots of other things there including lots of lines about Black Dragons, and I don't know how to print what I want, or if its supposed to put all the information in an easy to print spot. I tried Highlighting with Control+Left click, all the cells I want, but they were scattered all around - hard to find, and the print preview looks like its missing 90% of what I highlighted. Surely I am missing something here. (Again, never used a spreadsheet in my life - and now I am getting old, so forgive my ignorance)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:48 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Never tried using this on google sheets before, seems to mess up with the legendary legions links for some reason when I try.
Also seems to have some other issues
Messes up the formatting when printing, when I print from my pc in excel the pages are lined, here they start messing for some reason.
also prints the textbox for some reason, guess the option to ignore isn't there in google sheets.
Also doesn't seem to have the option to print only the first pages. In excel you just tell it to print pages 1-6 (and if needed 58-63).
Guess you could just export to pdf directly and then use that pdf to print only the pages you want. Might have to use "Set custom page breaks" to get them to line up.
Can't be sure everything is working on Google Sheets to be honest.

Think many people use Open Office (free opensource alternative to microsoft office) to use this file, not sure how different it is when using Open Office. Maybe someone who uses it can give tips on printing from that one?

I do everything on an old excel version I've had for ages.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:17 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hoplite wrote:
Hey guys, I feel really dumb, but I really want to use this. I made my army its a 500 point Mordor Army with the WK and Troll Cheiftan and a rabble of Orcs. How exactly do I print this? Believe it or not I have NEVER used a Spreadsheet before. I am using Google Sheets - Does this work? When I go to the "printable extras" There is lots of other things there including lots of lines about Black Dragons, and I don't know how to print what I want, or if its supposed to put all the information in an easy to print spot. I tried Highlighting with Control+Left click, all the cells I want, but they were scattered all around - hard to find, and the print preview looks like its missing 90% of what I highlighted. Surely I am missing something here. (Again, never used a spreadsheet in my life - and now I am getting old, so forgive my ignorance)

On the first work sheet (the Index page) there is a link to the Printable Areas - basically you build your lists in the relevant Army worksheets, then go to either the Evil Army List or Good Army List (depending on what you are writing) for a printable version.

On a separate but related note, I've been having problems in the last few versions of the file - as described in a previous post about the pages not being aligned correctly - after the third or 4th page, it splits it over two pages (so the list of special rules will have half a sentence on one page and half a sentence on another).

'm attempting to print to PDF at A4 and using Excel (V2108) - i've tried messing round with margins and things but just can't get it to align correctly. I've been able to print previously without issue, and don't think I changed any of my setup.

Also, on the Mordor army list, if you add Razgush and some critters (bat swarms, spiders etc.) they don't appear as part of the Printable Evill Army list.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:09 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi LonelyKnight! I use your spreadsheet all of the time to construct army lists, it's by far the best method out there! However, I have always struggled opening it in Google sheets. It mostly works, but it never displays the text versions of Warband 2 and down, or the "Total units" / "Total points" at the top. Here's an example import, navigate to the Theodred's guard tab to see an example of what I mean:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ue&sd=true

I know you didn't design it for use with Google sheets, and are making this entirely voluntarily (thank you!!), but wondering if you have any idea what could be causing this problem? I would love to have this available across all my devices for list building on the go, at the moment I can only use it on one device which has an excel license.

Thanks so much for any suggestions.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Found an error with the mumak, the mumak counts as a separate model for army break but doesn't count towards the commander's warband limit, as per the last sentence of the third paragraph on page 80 of the Gandalf rulebook and I couldn't find an faq that said otherwise
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Not getting the notifications again :(

I'm still using the 2013 version, will have to try it out on another pc where I have a more up to date version to check the printing thing, seems fine on this one.

The critters missing was a classic error :P.
Forgot to drag down in the DD to DF columns of the printing sheet to capture the new lines when I added them.

As for the google sheets thing, I'd probably have to redo some formulas to make everything work properly. Only really worked with google sheets for simple stuff like grading sheets (makes it considerably easier to have all the teachers grading in the same place).
Edited in the link you sent a bit, for the links that don't work you need to reset them by selecting the proper page, and change the name to match the page number (changed 2 LLs).
Go to column DE in the LL you mentioned to see what else I edited, namely:
DE4: Added the IFERROR(...,"")
DE8: Added the IFERROR(...,"")
Copied DE8 and pasted over DE9 till DE25.
Then Copied the DE3 till DE26 interval, and pasted it over DE27 till DE482
Same idea would have to be replicated over every sheet, although some are slightly different (especially the hero only ones).
No clue if everything else works properly btw

For the Mûmak, which one is the Gandalf rulebook?
In all honesty the book I have says nothing about mumak counting for the warband, and FAQs don't mention it, and it's kinda obvious that the 12 guys warband was prolly meant to fill the 12 spaces of the howdah.
Think it turned out that way cause the place where I add extra units to heroes usually, well... fills out spaces in the warband. Will have to hammer the unit count to add the extra in without filling the warband.

Will upload as soon as I fix the Mûmak thing.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Just looking at a Ruffians list. Harry Goatleaf doesn't appear in the Forces of Evil page. He is on the first page but does not appear anywhere else.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hadn't properly copied his info onto the printable list for the evil side.
Fixed, Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:42 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Sorry found another error.
In the Rangers list its not showing the Dunedain om the Forces of Good page

Windy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

That one was funny, there's a step in that sheet where it's turning the entry you picked into its parts (like Aragorn on Horse into Aragorn and Horse). For some reason I hadn't copy pasted Dúnedain so it was turning Dúnedain into.... nothing.

Cheers, fixed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:37 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

In the Moria list if you select a dragon and give it Breathe Fire & Fly the Breathe Fire doesn't appear in the special rules section, but if you remove Fly it does.

Regards Windy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sorry it took so long, work has been.. tiring.
For some reason I hadn't added the special rules to the profiles for literally any combination of upgrades.

Will go upload the fix now.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Doing a great job as usual, keep up the good work.

Merry Christmas

Windy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:50 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Heya LK, been using your sheets for years, love em

I had a question and a feature request (if such a thing is possible).

When I try to print a sheet with a lot of special rules it extends over the edge of the page and doesn't fully print. With the army list you mention it prints on page 39; is there a similar spillover page for special rules and equipment?

edit: just realised i could find it out myself - it prints to page 98.

And also is it possible to have a button that clears filled boxes and resets the sheet?

Thanks

Art
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:47 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi LK, thank you very much for your work. In Chile we love your excel and we use it a lot. Using it I've noticed some few things (details really) that can lead to confusion:

- When you choose Boromir, Captain of the White Tower, you can pay the Banner of Minas Tirith and the Lance without a warning, even tho this is not possible.
- You can buy Heartguards for Durin's warband but also for any other warband, even if Durin is not in the list and even if you are playing with Balin and the Kingdom of Moria. I think that taking de Heartguards should be restricted to only Durin's warband.

Thank you again for your work and dedication!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:35 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Didn't get the notification for that last one :/

Just updated for the FAQ.

It is possible to add clear functionality, but it would require macros. And it's best not to have macros on a random file you get off the web :P.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Guess the message wasn't visible when I dropped by cause it was the first post (got the notification for it today)

elrond_elf wrote:
- When you choose Boromir, Captain of the White Tower, you can pay the Banner of Minas Tirith and the Lance without a warning, even tho this is not possible.

Likely to not be the only collision that isn't accounted for. Added a visual thing for that one ;).

elrond_elf wrote:
- You can buy Heartguards for Durin's warband but also for any other warband, even if Durin is not in the list and even if you are playing with Balin and the Kingdom of Moria. I think that taking de Heartguards should be restricted to only Durin's warband.

Not sure why that wasn't there. Fixed!

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:54 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

When creating a Rivendell army when a High Elf Captain is given a horse the High Elf Captain does not appear in the army list.

Regards Windy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

huh, was missing a . in the name to make it recognize it was the guy with horse.

Cheers, fixed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28