All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 pm

Post subject: Journeys in Middle Earth
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:05 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Fantasy Flight Games is about to release their new Lord of the Rings game: Journeys in Middle Earth. It is supposed to be similar to Gloomhaven and Mansions of Madness, and is played with a computer app that will guide each game in a new direction based on the decisions that you make in the game. It's what is known as a cooperative game (the players play against evil instead of against themselves), for up to five players, and can even be played solo.

It has different cardboard terrain pieces that make up the board, or map. The computer app tells you which new terrain piece to add (like puzzle pieces) that take you on your journey. It comes with miniatures with unique abilities and cards depicting various events that can happen.

I'm looking forward to this one, it should be out sometime this month. I assume that there will eventually be some expansions that will come out if it is successful (which I expect it to be). Seems like this format has a lot of possibilities for a variety of different kinds of game maps: Moria, forests, fields, etc. I get excited just typing about it.
 Post subject: Re: Journeys in Middle Earth
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:44 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Here's the link, by the way. Click on "Read more" to get more detail:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/the-lord-of-the-rings-journeys-in-middle-earth/#
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:48 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

An interesting version of the game. I read reviews about it from the first players) I don't want to buy right away
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Mario wrote:
An interesting version of the game. I read reviews about it from the first players) I don't want to buy right away

I've read/watched numerous reviews. They're mostly positive, but some seem to like it, some don't. I have my copy, but haven't played it yet. I just read through the rulebook and I'm looking forward to it. First I'm going to put all the cards in protective sleeves though.
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:19 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've played four adventures so far (the game comes with nine, which make up a campaign. If you want more, you'll have to wait for the expansions to come out). I find it highly enjoyable so far, and it seems like the replay value would be high, considering you can run different characters, who have different abilities, and because the app changes the map and other details around.

I was dubious about the card based mechanics, but it turns out I really like it. Each character's skills are represented (at least in part) by his deck, and as you advance through the campaign you pick up better equipment and better skills, which are reflected in your deck.

The app acts as dungeon master. The game is kind of like a video game that you play on the table.

Some people paint the minis, I feel no need to. I think of them more as game pieces. But you could very easily use GW minis in their place if you wanted to.
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm interested in this game but I think I would prefer to use the GW minis with it. I tried painting some of the Imperial Assault minis from Fantasy Flight Games and the quality was noticeably lower -- specifically the material used was much "bendier".

How would you say the game pieces for this game are compared to GW minis?

My WIP: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=21545&start=40
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

draked wrote:
How would you say the game pieces for this game are compared to GW minis?

I would definitely say the GW minis are superior. The Fantasy Flight minis are more "bendy" as you say, and they are larger than the GW minis, but not as detailed.

However, as I said, there is no reason that I can think of why you couldn't use GW minis to play the game. The only ones that might be a little tricky are the orcs. There are different categories of orcs, and sometimes these different types are on the board at the same time. The app shows the shape of the orc attacking (or whatever) to help you select the right orc. So you would have to remember which orc model you are using as a proxy. For groups of orcs there are banners so you can keep the groups separate.

For instance, there are orcs with bows, who are called hunters. They would be easy to replace, just use an orc with a bow. A few of the others might take a little more imagination. Here's a link, if you scroll down to the fifth post, there is a picture of the evil minis:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/294200-monster-types/