All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:55 am

Post subject: Ramshackle dockland buildings
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:27 am 
Administrator
Administrator

A few friends and I are planning a weekend of 1930s Pulp Action adventure gaming, where we would all provide some figures and terrain and tell a story over a number of games - set in the steamy jungles of the Amazon basin, the smoke-filled back alleys of Shanghai, the seedy docklands of New York and a hidden Nazi submarine base in the frozen wastelands of Antarctica - and other places in between.

I am working on the terrain for the docklands scene and here is my first building - it's a small shipping office that will sit outside a warehouse on the wharf.

Image Image Image Image

The gangster figure and truck are part of an experiment I did to see how well they would paint up using only shades of grey (as if they were in a B+W movie).

Post subject: Re: Ramshackle dockland buildings
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Very good work, the weathering has come out extremely well. Perhaps you might want to add some old lettering on the building that has over the years rubbed off, I'll pop an example underneath (check the large door). What material is the corrugated iron effect? Comes out a treat. Looks like a perfect place for gangster/mafia activity! Look forward to your next update on this. 8) I'll take the picture down once you've seen it as I realize it's quite large, cheers.

Drum

Last edited by Drumstick on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks Drum, that is an amazing piece of work. I've seen it before, it's by a Frenchman called Emmanuel Nouaillier and it's one of the most amazingly detailed examples of modeling I have ever seen. He is a grand master! And, even more astounding, he does this level of detail at 1:72 scale.

If you can shrink the image, I suggest you leave it in your post as an inspiration for others.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Awesome buildings Dagorlad!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:30 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I've finished the small building now and have begun planning the next piece to go in the dockyard - a run-down old warehouse, where Frankie and his gang are running bootleg whiskey. Or something. Here's some photos of the finished building:

Image Image Image

The clock inside the building is a magnet that I'll use to stick a sign on the outside to - that way, I'll be able to change the sign to French or German if I want to set the dockyard in Europe for a WWII game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whisky eh? Sounds good. You've got a clever idea using the magnet to be able to change the model to fit different environments - great work. I never realized you were going to do the interior, what kind of game is this for? As always your work is top notch - look forward to another update on the Markarth project too. 8)

Drum
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The rules are Savage Worlds Showdown. It's a tabletop wargame adaptation of the Savage Worlds RPG ruleset which is heavily into the story-telling side of gaming. That suits Pulp gaming perfectly.

They are a free download too, which makes them even more attractive. They can be found here: http://highnoonstudios.com/Downloads/Sh ... owdown.pdf