All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:57 pm

Post subject: RC's Non-LOTR Thread (Fallout Minis)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:14 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I know I had a previous thread from a year or two ago but I want to start afresh with my non-LOTR stuff. I wasn't happy with the painting I produced with my old stuff, the majority of them were rush jobs to try and get a gaming army together for 40K, but as I have no time for 40K gaming anymore I've decided to take a step out of Games Workshop with my painting.

As a result I have been looking around lots of different companies to see what minis take my fancy as painting projects. The first that really caught my eye was the 'Chicken Hunter' 54mm miniature from Scibor Miniatures (there are tonnes more minis I have in mind to buy as well, Andrea minis, Hasslefree, Hell Dorado, Enigma, Reaper to name but a few - however as I have sworn an oath in Jonathans Backlog Reduction Oath thread, I have to control myself :oops: ).

Anyway, this lovely mini turned up today and I thought I'd share with you some pictures. I haven't started prepping it for painting yet (cleaning and preperation is tonight and tomorrows job).

Here is a picture of it straight out of the box, followed by a size comparison picture of the Dwarf next to an Aragorn mini:

I just love the detail on this mini, and the quality of the cast is much higher than expected, so I can't wait to get the painting underway.

PS - As I am really looking to improve in my painting now, harsh constructive criticism will be much appreciated when progress pics start popping up 8)

Post subject: Re: RC's Non-LOTR Thread (Scibor Chicken Hunter)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:15 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Scibor does some nice stuff, I keep meaning to buy a few more of the larger models I do have some yet to see a paint brush though.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:41 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

tidoco wrote:
Scibor does some nice stuff, I keep meaning to buy a few more of the larger models I do have some yet to see a paint brush though.

They sure do. There are several more of their minis I'd like to buy, but the backlog is big enough as it is at the moment, so I will paint some of what I already have first. I'd love to see you paint a Scibor mini Tim!

I've now cleaned, assembled, filled and sprayed the mini ready for painting. I'll hopefully get started on the painting tonight and will post pics of it as it is later once I've taken some :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Here it is ready for painting :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

That is a huge gun. I can't imagine the kick it would have when fired, or the chickens you would hunt with it!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeees... Big fried chickens...
Nice mini 8)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:21 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It is a big gun isn't it?

I've started work on painting the skin. All that's been done so far is a dwarf flesh basecoat and a wash watered down Brown Ink and PVA glue. I'm worried I may not have watered down the wash enough as it's kept some of its glossy sheen, however after my first highlights on the main area of the torso and the face (which you can also see in the following picture as I wanted to check the shine wasn't noticeable in the recesses) I don't think it will be too much of a problem, especially after a matt dullcote finish at the end.

Please let me know what you think so far after my first highlight (of the highlighted areas, I haven't finished the rest of the skin yet)

Post subject: Re: RC's Non-LOTR Thread (Fallout Minis)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Just recieved these Fallout minis through the post from Brother Vinnis Miniatures, a Brotherhood of Steel Knight and an Enclave Soldier:

Will get to painting them after my current LOTR stuff. I recommend them to anyone (especially those who are fans of the video game).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:28 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Absolutely loved Fallout 3 and am now buried deep in Skyrim too - love Bethesda's games!

These two packs look pretty good - the Brotherhood of Steel guys are pretty close to the game, but I don't recall the Enclave guys looking so Ant-like.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:32 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The Enclave mini is actually more true to the original Fallout Enclave as Fallout 3 changed their look slightly, whereas the Brotherhood armour has been consistent throughout all the games. Here is an image of the original Enclave to show you what I mean:

That said, I really liked Bethesda's redesigned Enclave so it would be cool if he could sculpt one of those too. He's also got a couple more Fallout minis including a Super Mutant, just look under the "Nuclear Sandlot " series on the following link - http://www.brother-vinni.com/gallery/28_sci-fi.htm