All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:12 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The toned down red is brilliant. I really like the shading on it as well.

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant - 6/53
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Very nice work Josh, the red looks great! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Did GW sell Sanguinius and Lion 'el johnson?
Or are they made by another person?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:55 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
Whoops....sorry, missed this :oops:

They're not from GW. The commissioner isn't sure, but he thinks they were made by a company called Ronin miniatures (he bought them secondhand off Ebay so like I said, he isn't sure.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
Small update regarding the Templars.

Note to self: Request new camera for birthday.

Everything is grayed in the picture. The tabards are a good deal yellower in color IRL, and the skin is also not anywhere near that pale. Most everything is finished except I need to go over the pauldron insignias with black, and work on the shading of the tabards (recesses are far too dark ATM on some of them.) then add some chipping in the armour.

Also started some Terminators. They're quite WIP. Only thing that's 100% finished is the skin on the middle two, which I'm fairly pleased with.

I'll be updating on the two Primarches soon, as well as some updates on the new Sanguinis, which I am purchasing soon. I'm doing a 1-on-1 headliner challenge with an excellent painter by the name of A Luna on another site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looking good, man. Both the skin and cloth look excellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:05 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Only overall shape we can see (lol, kinda Yoda style :D ).

But seriously, give us some zoom, even on one mini from each squad , cause now I can only say it looks nice ;)

www.independent-painters.blogspot.com/
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sorry but these pictures sucks :(
Minis looks good but we cany say more about painitng :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

They look good Josh but I also join the call for close-ups. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I really like the cloth and the faces look great from what I can see of them. Though, I agree with the others that it'd be nice to have some close ups to help us see the mini's better. Keep up the good work on your painting, Josh! :)

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Close-ups, as requested.

Also got some done on an Empire banner bearer last night, fairly pleased with the banner and VERY pleased with the skin/beard so far.

Banner is still WIP, needs more shading, and a design of some kind. Any ideas?

Quite easy to see the mistakes on the Templars close up....they weren't painted with display in mind, so much as gaming, though ;)

I'm contemplating some very thin red washes on all the Templar's skin, to give it a bit more pinkness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The Empire banner-bearer looks great! As for the design on the banner, it all depeneds. Have you thought of what province of the Empire you're army is from? If so, then you can look up heraldry for that province and then paint on a design free-hand. Nice to see you start work on those, I really like the look of the Empire range. 8)

As for the templars, seeing up close I'd say the cloth needs some work. The blending isn't quite as good as you're capable of. Maybe a few glazes would smooth things out? Still great work though Josh, just not quite to the quality of some of your other work like that Space Marine with the red cloak you painted. Keep the updates coming. :wink:

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Longbottom Leaf wrote:
The Empire banner-bearer looks great! As for the design on the banner, it all depeneds. Have you thought of what province of the Empire you're army is from? If so, then you can look up heraldry for that province and then paint on a design free-hand. Nice to see you start work on those, I really like the look of the Empire range. 8)

As for the templars, seeing up close I'd say the cloth needs some work. The blending isn't quite as good as you're capable of. Maybe a few glazes would smooth things out? Still great work though Josh, just not quite to the quality of some of your other work like that Space Marine with the red cloak you painted. Keep the updates coming. :wink:

Thanks for the comment Josh :)

I'm not really sure what province yet, though right now it looks a little like Talabheim...though I'm not sure I like their banner design...

I'll add a few glazes...they aren't that bad IRL, they're actually quite striking from a short distance IMO. I took them down to the FLGS (the one an hour or so away) and got a lot of ooos and aahs. But they do need some work. I'll definitely be making the shadows lighter, and add a couple more layers of highlights.

I'd love to be able to paint an army to the same standard as that Space Marine, but the cloak alone took me 3+ hours (pic doesn't show the subtle changes in color) I'll be painting the HQ units to at least that standard, though. Will probably start the Techmarine after I finish these Sword Brethren.

Also, everyone, expect some updates on my second army *takes out tower shield, ducks behind it*

Beastmen.

Dunno why, but I love the models...everyone and their uncle seems to think their only use is target practice or being melted down for bottle caps...but I really like the miniatures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I love the Beastmen models too! Look forward to seeing more work from you on both them and the Empire models.

Yes, I thought it looked like you were going for Talabheim. That's the scheme GW uses mostly for their Empire miniatures. Have you thought of buying this book? It could prove very useful to you. Not sure if this link would be helpful, though it does have some information on your chosen theme.

As for the Templars, I'd still suggest just one or two more glazes. That would make them look great IMHO. The stark highlights would look great on the tabletop, and the extra glaze would help improve the blending just a little. :)

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Longbottom Leaf wrote:
I love the Beastmen models too! Look forward to seeing more work from you on both them and the Empire models.

Yes, I thought it looked like you were going for Talabheim. That's the scheme GW uses mostly for their Empire miniatures. Have you thought of buying this book? It could prove very useful to you. Not sure if this link would be helpful, though it does have some information on your chosen theme.

As for the Templars, I'd still suggest just one or two more glazes. That would make them look great IMHO. The stark highlights would look great on the tabletop, and the extra glaze would help improve the blending just a little. :)

Well, not everyone and their uncle hates them I guess ;)

I've contemplated buying that, right now though I'm trying to start slow and get the feel of the Empire, to see if they're really the "good" faction I want to go with. If I do decide to, though, I'll probably grab that.

Thanks for the other link, very useful! Gave me one idea, for sure...I'll have to test it out.

I'll add some glazing. Also need to fix up a couple of the highlights, they're a bit haywire :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Glad to help Josh! :)

Talabheim is a nice scheme, very clean and fresh. I think it'll turn out really well with your painting style. Have you seen this article on GW's site? It could also prove useful. :)

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:03 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Great work on the Empire banner bearer, the skin and beard look excellent and the banner itself is coming along very nicely. :yay:

The cloth on the templars could do with a bit of work, as Josh suggested perhaps try a few glazes.

Can't wait to see more of your Empire and Beastmen forces! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Banner is very good but Templar's clothes could be smoother :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:04 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hey everyone...not gotten any more done on the Banner Bearer, I seem to have this butterfly-like need to flit from one project to another....my desk is strewn with about half a dozen half-completed projects right now.

Tried some glazes on the Templars. Apologies for dark pics, will get some good ones outside later on. Too bright outside right now to get pics, maybe I can get some at dusk.

Also did some terrain in my spare time, using scratch (tree bark and sprue.)

Oh yeah, and a picture of (most) of my backlog for this commission, w/figure for size comparison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:25 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Looks good Josh. The robes look better with the glazes. The terrain looks decent as well, especially considering a lack of resources. Keep up the good work. :wink:

Bilbo
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next