All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:47 am

Post subject: Heroic March + War Drum
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I was just reading the FAQ, a model can benefit from both in the same turn. This brings about the frightening prospect of cavalry moving 20" in a turn and an infantry blob advancing 12".

I haven't really thought of what this means. In the previous edition, though every hero could call a Heroic March, there wasn't any reason to do so because you always started directly in your opponent's face. In this edition, that's not the case.

This could be used offensively, defensively, or both. Defensively by speeding an army along so it's not getting shot as much, offensively by flanking and maneuvering, both by... doing both. I'll be building some theoretical lists and trying it (against myself) over the next few days to see what's what, but yeah I'd love input about this.
 Post subject: Re: Heroic March + War Drum
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:04 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think it should be interesting to try out ... I've had a couple of games with an Uruk Hai drum so far.

I think the bit that makes it a bit fairer on your opponent is that I don't think you can use heroic march or the drum to charge into an attack, so you can't storm straight across the board into combat on turn one in this way, if I remember correctly. (Rule book not to hand!)
 Post subject: Re: Heroic March + War Drum
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:04 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That's right, you can't charge the turn that you drum or march (although Warbeasts can still trample), but it means you could be in the position you want to be in much earlier than your opponent is ready for.

Before the Hobbit rules, there was a brief period where a Troll Drummer had the same effect as a Goblin Drum. I immediately bought one, then it was changed to a movement bonus, which I thought was pointless since every hero had access to a movement bonus. Now I see it as one of the most powerful tools again.