All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:51 am

Post subject: 700p Minas Tirith with Elessar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi. As I was unable to get my hands on a Boromir, I had to look to the substitutes bench for alternatives, and this Aragorn lad looks like he could have something in him.

I therefore created a list with him as a leader supported by Hurin and Ingold. The opposition I am going to play against is most likely Rohan, Kingdom of Moria, Rivendell and Mordor. It is very likely all of these will be pure lists so I am expecting limited magic and a lot of other beatsticks.

But here is the list

Aragorn Elessar 373p
- Armoured horse

1x Knight of Minas Tirith
5x Rangers with spear
2x WOMT with spear
7x WOMT

Hurin the tall 134p
- Horse

2x Knight of Minas Tirith
2x Ranger

Ingold 193p

1x Knight of Minas Tirith
3x Ranger with spear
1x WOMT with banner
2x WOMT with spear
5x WOMT

700 points, 9 Might, 34 models, 10 bows

This being almost a one trick pony list, the plan is to stall the enemy with the D7 steel block lead by Ingold while Aragorn and Hurin decimate the enemy.

The weaknesses of the list are clearly magic and relative lack of numbers. What do you guys think?

Edit: added point values.
 Post subject: Re: 700p Minas Tirith with Elessar
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:23 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Btw, i couldn't find "Ingold" or "Hurin tall", åre they normål gondor heroes? Sorry i think i åm ågåine noobing something up, but i would glådly help!

Ånywåys from whåt i cån såy so får, Årågorn is å veryyy strong hero nowådåys, so definitely ån interesting choice! Then u ålso håve some cåvålry ånd some good årchers, so overåll quite å solid list for 700p. Perhåps cåvålry could be more påcked together so it would work ås å shock force? Bolt thrower is op i would ådd it if possible, it fires å lot high strenght bullets ånd if u tåke it u could dominåte rånged båttle for sure!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:53 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Salattu wrote:
Btw, i couldn't find "Ingold" or "Hurin tall", åre they normål gondor heroes? Sorry i think i åm ågåine noobing something up, but i would glådly help!

Ånywåys from whåt i cån såy so får, Årågorn is å veryyy strong hero nowådåys, so definitely ån interesting choice! Then u ålso håve some cåvålry ånd some good årchers, so overåll quite å solid list for 700p. Perhåps cåvålry could be more påcked together so it would work ås å shock force? Bolt thrower is op i would ådd it if possible, it fires å lot high strenght bullets ånd if u tåke it u could dominåte rånged båttle for sure!

Thanks for the feedback. Ingold and Hurin are heroes from the Gondor at War supplement. On your point about cavalry, their purpose in the list is mainly to run for objectives and counter charge enemy cavalry which is why they are not packed together. And while I really like the bolt thrower, I think including one would leave me a bit too low on numbers.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've played a list rather like this at 800pts. I think Elessar and Hurin are a solid duo for Minis Tirith. They have performed well for me so far. I wouldn't underestimate Elessar's heroic resolve against spell casters. If you get transfixed it's not like you will be spending that free might on combats anyhow.

I've also see a good result from both Ingold and the rangers and warriors combo. It can make your line a bit slower then normal if you want to get some shooting done but I think it pays off most of the time.

The only thing I find a bit odd is the inclusion of the banner bearer when you've already got Elessar, the living banner, cruising around. I guess it could be useful for scenarios and to make sure Ingold always gets a reroll. On the other hand, you could also have another knight and ranger with Hurin instead. I would just be less inclined to spend points on a banner since Elessar already has a large range for providing rerolls.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:47 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Wan Shi Tong wrote:
I've played a list rather like this at 800pts. I think Elessar and Hurin are a solid duo for Minis Tirith. They have performed well for me so far. I wouldn't underestimate Elessar's heroic resolve against spell casters. If you get transfixed it's not like you will be spending that free might on combats anyhow.

I've also see a good result from both Ingold and the rangers and warriors combo. It can make your line a bit slower then normal if you want to get some shooting done but I think it pays off most of the time.

The only thing I find a bit odd is the inclusion of the banner bearer when you've already got Elessar, the living banner, cruising around. I guess it could be useful for scenarios and to make sure Ingold always gets a reroll. On the other hand, you could also have another knight and ranger with Hurin instead. I would just be less inclined to spend points on a banner since Elessar already has a large range for providing rerolls.

Thanks, reassuring to hear that people have had success with a similar list.

The banner is the question I wondered the most as well, and it is there mainly for scenarios. But I think it also allows for greater tactical flexibility when you do not have to count on having Aragorn next to your battle line. Or if you want to make a cavalry charge to a flank, I often find I have to choose whether to support the center or the flank with the banner. Of course the 6' range of Aragorn makes this much less of a problem.

I might exchange it for 3 more rangers though.