All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:51 am

Post subject: Easterlings 650pts
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello, I'm preparing for a league game where we play with the same army for a month. I'm struggling with the Easterlings list. I have a few ideas, but I'm looking for some opinions. Games pool we will be playing (random selection): Fog of War, Clash by Moonlight, Assassination

Currently, here is a list I prepared. I'll list it as heroes and warriors separately for the sake of clarity, although I have warbands in mind already.

AH - Armoured Horse
EW - Easterling Warriors
BD - Black Dragon
Kata - Kataphrakt
OPT: Optional

Dragon Fury
34 units, 645 points

Heroes
  • Amdur Lord of Blades + AH
  • Easterling Dragon Knight + AH (OPT: swap swords for axes for piercing strike)
  • Easterling Warpriest + AH
  • Easterling Captain

Warriors
  • 11 EW + Shield
  • 4 EW + Pike and Shield
  • 4 BD + Pike and Shield
  • 8 EW + Bow
  • 2 BD Kata
  • BD Kata + war drum

How this plays:

I like this list because the warpriest allows me to punch through anything heavily armoured, as channelled Blade Wrath guarantees S10 hits (if I win the duel of course). This shouldn't be too difficult with Amdur who can call a heroic strike, and his friend Dragon Knight to back him up. Let's remember they also regain might when they kill an enemy hero. This trio rides together with a war drum next to them and backed up by two kataphrakts, chasing any threatening heroes.

A pike block is formed with a captain in the front. The pike block can be seen in the following image. Assume one of the "S" in the image is actually a captain. Assume every unit here has pikes, unless it's "S". Legend:

S - Sword and shield
Triangle - Shielding unit
Line - Pike support
Black circle - zone of control (ZOC) of middle line
Red arrow - possible charge direction

This formation allows me to create a longer line than the traditional 3x3 setup, which can only be charged from the front or the flanks. This image is slightly flawed, as the bases would be somewhat tighter together, making sure the middle unit cannot be charged, therefore retaining his ZOC at all times. Should the shielding unit die, they can be replaced, and the wall tightened. A captain in the middle will try to eat through the enemy formation, with his S5 (S4 + Piercing strike) + 1 to wound from two-handed.

Archers are around the flanks, working as warriors if possible. Otherwise, they are preoccupied shooting down enemy horses.

Amdur with his warband, if free, will try and help to smash through the enemy troops.

My biggest concern is the number of units. 34 is not a high body count, and I could, in theory, get rid off the warpriest and replace him with a bunch of warriors. That would cost me hard-hitting opportunities though, which this army really lacks.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by zkajo on Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Easterlings 650pts
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

34 is high enough at 650. Your list can weather a lot but I fear they lack some puch. The priest is great for giving fearless and fury save, but then you can't use bladewrath a lot; Even with Bladewrath though I fear you won't kill enough unit to break your opponent reliably. Maybe you could ally something ? If you can't I would at least remove the captain and add another dragon knight.
Hope you will be doing well.
 Post subject: Re: Easterlings 650pts
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:31 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks!

Manadar wrote:
Maybe you could ally something ? If you can't I would at least remove the captain and add another dragon knight.
Hope you will be doing well.

I really want to run pure, which I'm fully aware could be my undoing :)
I think a captain is necessary as he gives heroic march, allowing the troops to march across the board faster. However, perhaps indeed I could swap him for a DK on foot to lead the phalanx... OR just take another DK and ride with Amdur, so that the four guys can do some killing.