All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 am

Post subject: High Elves at low points
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 6:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Does anyone have any good list ideas for high elves at low points values (350 and 500). For snatch and grab type scenarios too. I was thinking either a block of infantry with Erestor and then a group of knights under a captain or Gildor with exiles but I have doubts about either path. Would it be smarter to look for allies with cheaper cavalry or something? Open to suggestions and advice.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: High Elves at low points
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think at low points a single giga chad warband could be an excellent idea. Glorfindel is the most reliable character in the game. Him on a horse with some knights and foot troops. You could absolutely play Elrond or Gil gachad if you wished instead.

Also. I think small point games are where the twins excel. You don't need 2 warbands to make up the points and having 2 bodies with their stats is fantastic, but you can't get away with it over 400 pts

The twins
heavy armour
horses

4 knights with shields
7 warriors w shields x2 spears

350pts

Elrond w heavy armour and horsey

7 knights w shields
banner

1 warriors w shields
11 warriors w spear and shield

You could play Gil Galad and jimmy the points around a bit here too. Lose a cav boi pick up some kings guard and the like.

500pts.

OR, here's a spicy boi

Cirdan 80
4 warriors w bows and shields
4 warriors w shields
2 warriors w shields and spears

Gwahir
Great eagle

You lose s7 on the charge (Overkill) and re rolls to hit if standing still with the 4 archers, but that's no great loss. You now have flying monster infantry who act as your cav and can also snatch and grab!!!
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Interesting idea just running one big hero flat out with a full warband. I thought about that some but considered it would be to risky depending on the sort of objective game. I think Glorfindel, with the 12'in moving horse or the twins might be good for it though. Elrond is needed to run all cav but he has done so poorly for me in the past that I'd rather not bring him if I could help it.

I like the eagle at 500pts though. I had not considered that as an ally since I was thinking about getting more bodies but a flying monster that could jump all over the field would be great! Especially since Gwahir has more might now. I think I will experiment with that some. Maybe without the second eagle since I only have the one. Maybe add a captain and a few more guys with the points so the elves could get a march in at some point too.

Thanks for the reply!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:48 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It's totally up to how you want to play.

It's quite straightforward to run all mounted rivendell knights with Elrond, that can take you up to 600 but does fit nicely at 500 pts. Really it's just a matter of wanting to run the army and pay for the models.

With a regular army, you basically always need to roll Erestor, Gildor or Arwen at 500 points or under just because you really need to be getting as many troops as you can into the warbands or you will be severely outnumbered.

Gildor is probably a better choice at 350 pts, just run with another minor hero and some troops. I actually like running the twins with him at 350-400 pts. It's a small but specialized army and is definitely relying on the twins to do a lot of damage but Gildor works very well with them.
They also work well at 500pts - just using regular warriors and mounting the twins.

It can look like an ok force with erestor, twins, 18 warriors (6 shield, 6 spear, 6 bow) +1 banner. However, that's only 6 bows, so at 500 points you will be outclassed with archery by virtually anyone that bothers to take ranged weapons. You will break quite quickly too.

I think high elves work a little bit better at 550+ points, but they can certainly be good below that, just very restricted in list choice.