All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

Post subject: Serpent Guard vs Elites
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey folks!

I am anxiously waiting for Mcgarnacles to update his haradhrim guide and was wondering how folks will be running their harad lists in this edition?

I have 6 abrakhan merchant guard and 6 watchers of karna and loads of normal spear and bowmen. Should I continue to conver maybe another 6 to watchers and another 6 to serpent guard?

My first train of thought is as long as I have some form of fight 4 in a combat it doesn't really matter who it is. But with the betrayer buff to rerolling wounds I think it might be best to have more serpent guard this time round and just keep my 6 watchers and 6 abrakhan to help out on the flanks.
 Post subject: Re: Serpent Guard vs Elites
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would reckon that the abrakhan guard are going to be better damage deals that the serpent guard with or without the betrayer. I have not faced any infantry focused Harad armies yet but from what I recall their options have not changed much aside from loosing the corsairs. I would advise a good mix all around in any event.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:27 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Tbh I never really used Serpent guard, but from what I heard the Abrakhan guard are still really good. Watchers seem solid, probably better with swords.

Glad you liked the guide! My army book is coming next week, and as I start playing with the new stuff I'll try to start updating the guide.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Serpent Guard's F4 is still relevant if you want to feint with the Watcher/Merchant Guard F4 frontline, all of whom typically have swords, but no poison. Of course, the feint re-rolls are unaffected by the Betrayer - to really benefit from the latter, I might well consider normal warriors supported by Serpent Guard in the centre (if your force gets the army bonus, normal warriors will benefit from poison too), with the elites at the flanks where they may be out of reach of the Betrayer anyway.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:49 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

McGarnacle wrote:
Tbh I never really used Serpent guard, but from what I heard the Abrakhan guard are still really good. Watchers seem solid, probably better with swords.

Glad you liked the guide! My army book is coming next week, and as I start playing with the new stuff I'll try to start updating the guide.

Sounds great, thank you!

I was thinking that too. Maybe take ~6-8 serpent guard pikes backing a line of archers with the betrayer and then just keep a squad of abrakhan and a squad of watchers on either side of them and boom - we got ourselves a fight!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think Serpent guard are really good now. With the Betrayer, who I think is a must, you can re-roll all wounds. I think vanilla warriors with spears and bows backed up by Serpent Guard is a solid way to go.