All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:02 pm

Post subject: Dol amroth help
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:13 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So I have the chance to make the starts to a dol amroth. I understand the Imrahil will be my mainstay and i also have Angbor but waht else is useful? Axemen, clansmen? Any advice for a reasonable sozed force would be appreciated, thank you
 Post subject: Re: Dol amroth help
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You will defiantly want to expand to include the other fiefs, particularity Morthond, the blackroot vale, since they are your only in-house bowmen. The other two have troops that can be used to support or replace your Dol Amroth units in an infantry formation but they only offer versatility. Each of the four types of infantry (clansmen, axemen, knights, and men-at-arms) can fill the role you'd expect from their gear but which will be the most useful depends on what you are fighting and what sort of options you want to have available. In terms of heroes, Forlong and Duinhir are worth it almost every time, even in the absents of their home fief troops. Forlong on a horse is a good cavalry commander or general at lower point. Angbor is okay for that he costs but he and his clansmen are somewhat driven into a niche by their reliance on two-handed swords and light armor. The fearless Angbor gives could be good for Morthond bowmen and in the main line though. I would recommend getting the named heroes and then about 12 of each type of unit for a collection (perhaps fewer clansmen). That way you can build up some differnt sorts of armies out of what you have to see what you like or change things up.
I would outline a list (I don't have the book to hand just now) as being something like this.

Imrahil with mount
6-8 knights with mounts and lances

Forlong with mount
6 foot knights
6 axemen

Angbor
12 men at arms

Duinhir
12 Morthond bowmen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the advice! Are men at arms essential? They are really a pain to get? Also can axemen act as supports in combat?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:35 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Imrahil with mount and lance. He is just Ellasar without migty hero and Anduril, but he gets a lance and is much cheaper.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:37 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Also note axemen count as spears and axes, but blackroot vale will be a necessity otherwise you will be pounded by armies such as the serpent horde, easterlings, etc who have proficient bow skills.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The men at arms are one of only four troops in the game that can get a pike, however, they are arguably the worst of the four. Since Imrahil's banner buff can extend to all the fiefs (with the army bonus in play) I suppose the men at arms are not really objectively better then the axemen (since they cost the same) if you do not want to bother trying to make use of the pike's double up support feature. I would still consider them as being worth the trouble or at least worth looking for proxies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If you want to smash any enemy line then I would recommend taking a front row of axemen (going 2-handed piercing strike) backed up by 2 rows of pikemen. On either side of that you put Imrahil and forlong. You can take out Iron hills formations in 2 turns with this (using some might of course). That is usually what I like to base my armies off of, then (points providing) Duinhir with as many archers as possible, then Angbor with some clansmen.

Everyone on the internet seems to dislike the clansmen, but honestly I think they are great and even better than they used to be! My personal use for them is to plonk them on a flank to hold the enemy in place while the other formation takes down the enemy or as an independent group that can go anywhere on the battlefield. The clansmen can also be used as a monster assasination squad, they will always get the charge off thanks to being fearless near Angbor and the 2 handed weapons are a great help for doing damage, not to mention Angbor can heroic strike!

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I would say...1/3 blackroot vale, get the bows in there. Good archery, and can attack monsters.
1/3 knights of Dol Amroth, good defense, fight, etc. Imrahil as banner.
1/3 axe men of Lossanarch, spear support, good armour, and two handed axes for when you need to take down that monster up close.
Imrahil-Banner, enough said. Basically an Aragorn without Anduril and mighty hero.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

WhoelsebutHaldir wrote:
If you want to smash any enemy line then I would recommend taking a front row of axemen (going 2-handed piercing strike) backed up by 2 rows of pikemen. On either side of that you put Imrahil and forlong. You can take out Iron hills formations in 2 turns with this (using some might of course). That is usually what I like to base my armies off of, then (points providing) Duinhir with as many archers as possible, then Angbor with some clansmen.

Everyone on the internet seems to dislike the clansmen, but honestly I think they are great and even better than they used to be! My personal use for them is to plonk them on a flank to hold the enemy in place while the other formation takes down the enemy or as an independent group that can go anywhere on the battlefield. The clansmen can also be used as a monster assasination squad, they will always get the charge off thanks to being fearless near Angbor and the 2 handed weapons are a great help for doing damage, not to mention Angbor can heroic strike!

But what about enemy archers?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Do you mean against the clansmen? Honestly I have never had troubles with archers targeting them. You can use terrain to hide behind if it is a problem for you, but honestly if the enemy is targeting your cheap clansmen with their bowfirebit means your bows will be unimpeded and your axemen pikeblock will be getting into combat at full strength. This is a good thing, those are your damage dealers.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:26 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Haradrim armies could smoke you, though. 50% archers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I admittedly have 0 experience, but couldn't all Dol Amroth work? Foot Knights backed up by men-at-arms with some cav, plus Imrahil and a Captain. Full banner on Fight 4-5 troops, some killing power concentrated in your mounted knights and heroes. Plus it would look pretty amazing. I think you can get about 32 models at 600 pts, not too shabby.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I’ve played these guys a few times. I would like to point out that you need to make sure you get the army bonus. Then, the named heros’ special rules apply to the WHOLE army rather than just their own troops. So Angbor for instance, provides fearless to anyone within range. There is a lot of synergy that can happen if the named heros stay near each other. I’m not very good at managing these sorts of things in the game, but it should be a factor in building and playing your force.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:15 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Except for Duinhir, as he and rangers are the only ones with bows, unfortunately.