All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

Post subject: Mirkwood army ??
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:05 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

gonna leave a list not sure if its legal or not, so clarify this for me anyone who can please, the list includes legolas profile from the free peoples sourcebook and the rest of the profiles are from the BOTFA armies book

Warband 1
Taurial Exile
12 Armoured Mirkwood elves (6 x Shield& Elf Blade, 6X Glaive)

Warband 2
Mirkwood Elf Captain (The Guy with Glaive)
12 Armoured Mirkwood elves (6 x Shield& Elf Blade, 6X Glaive)

Warband 3
Legolas (Elven Cloak)
10 Armoured Mirkwood elves (elf bows)

* As i said this Legolas profile is from free peoples so is he allowed to lead these troops seen as they are not listed in free peoples lothlorian and mirkwood section even though they are mirkwood warriors and are listed in the section on GW page when buying them,

So its a pretty standard list i think, coming in 600 points on the dot assuming ive the points values right,

So is it illegal(because leggy is leading the troops or am i good to run with it), any suggestion or tweeks are appreciated

JUST NEED TO KNOW BEFORE I GO START SPENDING ON IT.

Anyone who can tell me if i can use this profile in the army or do i need the newer one, You are AWESOME
 Post subject: Re: Mirkwood army ??
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The list looks legal to me. One thing I would change, though, is drop the Mirkwood Captain for a Palace Guard captain, who can take a shield. A shield on a hero is more useful then a glaive IMHO.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:04 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

for the life of me i can't see palace guard profiles anywhere, what book are they in?

I shall look at it, thanks for the input, would of kicked myself if i start buying for this list and found out i couldnt take the older legolas profile, nothing wrong with the prince of mirkwood one , just what you get on the older one for the points is a steal..orchrist or not just not a fan of his upgrade
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Battle of the Five Armies booklet has been replaced by the new There and Back Again book, which is where you can find the Palace Guard (previously in the now out of print Desolation of Smaug book).

You are right that the Legolas from the Lothlórien and Mirkwood list cannot lead figures from the Hobbit-era Thranduil's Halls list - however, the There and Back Again removed the stronger Legolas profile in favour of one that is basically the original version, but with armour automatically included (increasing his points cost by 5pts), still with optional Elven cloak and horse (and Orcrist as well).

The old Tauriel Exile would similarly not have been able to lead the Mirkwood Elves (she is both in a different list and an independent hero if I'm not mistaken), but you're in luck as the latest publication combined both profiles: she now has the Exile profile and points, but as a normal hero in the Thranduil's Halls list and with an optional bow for 5pts.

If working from the BotFA booklet, you also won't yet have heard the good news that Mirkood Elves, as befitting their sculpts, now actually have heavy armour (and became a point more expensive for it). They are also automatically equipped with an Elven blade, but trade it in when equipping a glaive or bow I think.

All of the above doesn't change your list too much, and if I'm not mistaken the following would once again get you to exactly 600pts:

Tauriel
5 Mirkwood Elves, shields
5 Mirkwood Elves, glaives

Palace Guard Captain, shield
5 shields
5 glaives

Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood, Elven cloak
10 Elf bows

(So basically, the chosen and recommended heroes - which are indeed great - and 10 of each type of warrior.)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

yeah i heard the fantastic news thanks to one of the guys over in the Irish hobbit league.... im going to upgrade my book list and pick there and back again up,,,, EAARLY CHRISTMAS...YAAAY

thanks for your help and like the list... im looking forward to collecting these guys...
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I really rate the Mirkwood ranger captains and the Palace guard captains too but I'd probably consider getting Thranduil in there. Maybe at 600 it is better to take Legolas and Tauriel and a captain but if you can move up to 700 toss him in.

At 600 points I've been wanting to try something like this. That wants to stick in and get scrappy. Its super low numbers but you hit really hard and you actually have a decent amount of bows.
I dunno if this list is optimal but something like this seems reasonable.

Thranduil, King of the Woodland Realm with Elk; Elf bow;
4 Mirkwood Cavalry with Shield;

Warband 2 8/12
Mirkwood Ranger Captain
3 Mirkwood Elf with Shield; Elven blade;
2 Mirkwood Elf with Elven glaive;
3 Mirkwood Elf with Elf bow;

Warband 3 9/12
Palace Guard Captain with Shield;
3 Mirkwood Elf with Shield; Elven blade;
2 Mirkwood Elf with Elven glaive;
3 Mirkwood Elf with Elf bow;