All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 am

Post subject: Beorn!?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey all, I've been really wanting to use Beorn but I am not sure how to work him into a list. I am kind of leaning towards hobbits with bilbo and gandalf then add beorn at like 700, maybe 800. Any other ideas or tips for using the bear?

P
 Post subject: Re: Beorn!?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

how about mirkwood? or other races that lived in lands bordering the Carrock? I could see that Beorn would have allied with the 'more dangerous & less wise' elves more readily than others ;) alternatively you could use an alliance between him, radagast, & the ents / eagles, to keep a 'nature' theme.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I thought about Mirkwood kinda, mirkwood rangers could be kinda good but you can't ally and take a full warband of them anymore and you'd have a tiny tiny army. Which is why I initially went with the hobbits.

I am not super interested in doing all monsters. I thought about maybe doing an all hero though, Dain, Thorin, Beorn, then a cheaper one or two, I dunno.

P
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You were right. Put him with spam troops and magic support. He's rarely worth his points to me overall because he can only roll three dice max. Hes fun sometimes, but frustrating. Try with Hobbits. Harder to get him surrounded then.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:45 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The man by himself is terrifying. Anyone who's used Bolg can tell you how good S5+burly is on a 3A model. The Bear, when used well, can be devastating. I think too often, people want him to go bear mode as quickly as possible, and that makes him easy to lure away, but Bjorn Beorn is as monstrous as you'd expect.

You can slot him in any kind of army that needs extra punch in combat. LotBR has a point, giving him numbers and magic support can definitely make your life easier, but he's essentially a big beat stick, just slot him anywhere and he'll kill stuff.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeaaah that's kinda what I figured. So I guess maybe I'd put him in at 700 with the shire so I can Gandalf in there too since he can lead now.

Such a bummer. He's such a cool model and character who barely is in the movies and I've never seen anyone use.

P
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:21 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

At 400 I combined him with Raddy on Sleigh and that was super fun and very good since there is almost no magic to stop him at that level.

I am with you though in that it is really hard to fit him in a list. I don't think I can do it until 800 although the shire at 600 looks alright. I do think you really need numbers if you are not going all hero or monster.