All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 pm

Post subject: Goblins 900 pts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:04 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Looking at doing a doubles, with each player getting 450 points each but only picking from one army list so that limits the options a bit. Does this look like a good balance between numbers and the ability to do damage at a 900 point level where there will be strong heroes and magic? Anything worth changing?

Player A - Moria

Shaman
3 Goblins w/shield
3 Goblins w/spear
Gundabad drummers
3 Gundabad warriors
Dweller in the Dark

Shaman
5 Goblins w/shield
5 Goblins w/spear
Cave w/spear

Player B - Goblin Town

Goblin King
12 Goblin Warriors

Grinnah
12 Goblin Warriors

Goblin scribe
12 Goblin warriors

Goblin captain
6 Goblin warriors

Gollum

The total across both forces is 72
 Post subject: Re: Goblins 900 pts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The only suggestions for this list is that you might be worth working in some bows into the moria list or maybe swap one of the shamans for a blackshield one to remove mounts as necessary (also makes up for the weakness of goblin town of no missile weapons.) I'd also suggest to swap the goblin scribe warband with that of the captains because it is more likely to sit at the back so does not require a full warband.

I would suggest to perhaps work in some prowlers to take advantage of two handed back stabbers because of the amount of possible traps but they are expensive so you will lose numbers.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks. Good point about the scribe's warband and I will definitely do that.

The gundabad shaman is a good shout and will definitely give them something to think about.

I am not a fan of goblin bows, 18" range and hitting on a 6 when moving isn't very useful. What about a couple of marauders (if I can get any) instead of the cave troll? They have bows.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What I've learned about Orc and Goblin shooting is that it pays for itself when you least expect it to. I once beat a warband of Mirkwood Rangers in a pure shootout thanks to the numbers advantage (granted it was Orc Trackers, not standard Orcs).

Another time, in a game of Domination, my opponent had one model on an objective that I couldn't reach on the last turn. I had two or three Orc Spearmen with Bows, all I could do was take a shot and pray, lo and behold the model dies and I win the game!

I'm not saying to bank on massed Goblin shooting or getting lucky with pot shots, but a couple of Bows here and there could give you the opportunity to take a shot or two per turn, and you never know what can happen.

Warg Marauders could be an interesting option. They don't wreak quite as much havoc as a Cave Troll, but they are still combat machines and as you said, they have bows
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think a couple of marauders could be a good shout, sure the troll gives a big hard hitting threat but I think marauders are on an equal threat level. It adds two terror causing, multi attack, multi wound cavalry models instead of a single target. It also frees up a couple more points for some more bodies.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:22 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ok here is a suggestion. From list A drop dweller in the dark or cave troll. And from list B drop goblin captain + 6 goblins. Then yet drop another 6 goblins or find another way to get 30 points.

Or just drop both cave troll and dweller... Idk though.

And then, add a cave drake to moria list. This drake would be really good, because it gives mobility. Right now your army is huge but it cannot move over 14cm round... So situationally, this drake would be good in that regard.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:29 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I cannot drop from list B to get the drake as they have to be the same army list for each individual 450 pts. I find the drake really hard to play and I get what you are saying about the movement, but I think with the marauders, dweller and a bat swarm I will have enough. Plus the marauders will benefit from both the fury and the courage and re roll's from the drum.

Thanks for help all though I think this is my final list now.

Shaman
Goblins w/shield
2 Goblins w/spear
Gundabad drummers
2 Gundabad warriors
Gundabad warrior w/spear
Dweller in the Dark
2 Warg Marauders
Bat swarm

Shaman
5 Goblins w/shield
3 Goblins w/spear