All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 pm

Post subject: What is the best dwarf army?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I was inspired to post this after watching this video which i would recommend you watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ilgVbM ... ik&index=8
So my question is what do you guys think the most powerful dwarf army Is it the erebor dwarfs or iron hill or even durin folk please rank them and give them a reason why you think this. Thank you.
 Post subject: Re: What is the best dwarf army?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I suppose that depends on what you mean by powerful really. They are all pretty capable compared to say Isenguard or Gundabad but if it is simple a question of which army can win the most grudge matches against the widest variety of other armies then I will give you this list.

Iron Hills/Erebor Reclaimed - They have good range, situational war machines that can be hard to counter, solid infantry, cavalry, and upper crust bruiser heroes that can be mounted. Very solid army, not unbeatable, but still top tier.

Durin's Folk - They have good range, cheap siege machines, Floi Stonehand, well priced infantry, good mid range heroes, and solid elites. They can make up for what they lack in most areas with some careful planing.

Army of Thror - They have no bows, no strength four troops, no mountable heroes or cavalry, no siege weapons, but good heroes and reliable troops. They have all the problems of strength three armies plus low mobility and no range. Very situational and depended on the opponent.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yup, Iron Hills is top tier but overpriced in real money. I would like to see Durin's Folk higher but the lack of spear support is always the real problem for them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've always found the lack of spear support to be as much a weapon for Durin's Folk as it is their curse. A line of Dwarves with shields isn't going anywhere, and it is so long that it can often feel like a horde. I always have an easy time flanking with my Dwarves. Yes, they take skill to play, but I find it beneficial to not be constrained by the shieldwall
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:29 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I find Durin's Folk as the perfect ally. They have good and reasonably priced elites, nice heroes and most of all Floi. There isn't a single game where is Loremaster Rule wouldn't come in handy. As a army, they have critical flaws, such as lack of spears, low mobility and no defence against magic so they would need support anyway (Galadriel with Wood Elves with spears always did great for me). Also, Gimli is the only dwarf hero who can be protected from magic thanks to his elven cloak.

Erebor dwarves are probably the worst. Before the new army list in "There and Back Again" they had at least access to mounted heroes but now they lost it. They compensate Durin's Folk lack of spears, but do nothing against magic or they lack of movement and have no access to S4 units, ranged units or multi attacks troops.

Iron Hill are really celebrated. They are indeed a strong army of elités, with S4 all over the place, crossbows, cavalry and Erebor Reclaimed offers a great selection of heroes ranging from 60 to 160, some of whom can be mounted. However, they aren't cheap (neither in points or real money), their cavalry is 2" slower than other cavalry and they still need at the very least Galadriel Lady of Light to have some protection against magic because they have none themself. They somewhat compensate for that because, unlike other good armies, even if their heroes are gone the troops should still be able to score some kills do to their S4.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dikey wrote:
I find Durin's Folk as the perfect ally. Galadriel with Wood Elves with spears always did great for me. Also, Gimli is the only dwarf hero who can be protected from magic thanks to his elven cloak.

Khazad Guards have served me so well, but always allied with spears: preferably Wood Elves.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:32 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hands down, Iron Hills. As far as I know, there is no other army in the game which can completely negate a game phase. I speaking specifically of the twirly whirlys and their ability to create archery blocking walls. They also have Def 8 rank and file troops.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:10 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think iron hills will probably OP compared at other dwarf army (and all lotr army). Recent hobbit models are really more cheated than ancient.
Erebor have so poor army choice, and not the best, they just have spears.
Personally, my favourite is Durin's folk, because is THE dwarf army with xtra vintage models :D
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:35 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Malenthal wrote:
I think iron hills will probably OP compared at other dwarf army (and all lotr army). Recent hobbit models are really more cheated than ancient.
Erebor have so poor army choice, and not the best, they just have spears.
Personally, my favourite is Durin's folk, because is THE dwarf army with xtra vintage models :D

I don't think the Iron hills are OP. They are good but also fairly priced.