All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

Post subject: Army list for Army of Thror
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:56 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Be gentle please. I try to be a bit thematic but also appealing to my own aesthetically pleasing side. The new Iron Hill Dwarves(darn them for not having crossbows yet) have caught my eye. But I like the idea of BOFA-type of list. Now I know some of my choices will seem newbish, but I confess that is what I am!

So, here we go!

Army of Thror:

Warband 1
-Young Thorin Oakenshield (The Oakenshield)
-6 Warriors of Erebor (Shields, Spears, and Banner)
-6 Warriors of Erebor (Shields)

Warband 2
-Grim Hammer Captain
-10 Grim Hammers

Warband 3
-Dwalin the Dwarf, Champion of Erebor (War Goat)
-2 Iron Hills Goat Riders (War Spears)

Warband 4
-Balin the Dwarf, Champion of Erebor
-6 Iron Hills Dwarves (Shields, Spears, Banner)
-4 Iron Hills Dwarves (Crossbows and Spears)

Total: NOVA tourney sized

So, my thoughts are all novice based. So bear with me please.

Warband 1, Thorin (which I will be using the armored model since I like it better) has 3s in the all the right places it seems. His Shield is a nice little bonus, and I had the points to add it on. The Warriors of Erebor are pretty nice, and splitting them equally between Shields and Spears and just Shields should serve me fine. Spears can follow up and just provide that nice supporting attack. Should I in the near future consider making room for Thror or Thrain instead though?

Warband 2, 11 total Grim Hammers. They can throw and that +1 on the Wound Chart is ok. Yes I know, I get a -1 to my fight. But hey, for the sake of theme.

Warband 3 is a small semi-mobile but hard hitting group. Dwalin needs little justification for being taken and can mete out punishment. The addition of a pair of Goat Riders I think can ad a little additional threat.

Warband 4, with Balin in it has my solid defense and small ranged crew. Shieldwall is a nice and useful tool for holding ground and staying alive until backup arrives(maybe from Warband 3) while the Crossbows could help out with keeping people moderately honest.
 Post subject: Re: Army list for Army of Thror
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:39 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

How many points was this for ? Personally I prefer to go strong on theme, so would go for either Army of Thor era or Battle of Five Armies. The army bonuses for both are quite nice (Thorin counts as 6" banner for BOFA, Thror counts as 6" banner for AOT).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

So I am a little lost on what exactly you mean. Are you saying I should drop Thorin and go with Thror or Thrain?

I could drop Thorin, replace him(since he dies after the BO5A) with a simple Captain replacement or reduce the size of the Erebor side of things to fit the BOVA-type requirements. It requires that the General have the majority of troops in the army.

Gonna tinker with it some more later. Toss me some ideas maybe?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:49 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok, some revising happened. How about this?

Dwalin's Army (using Champions of Erebor as where the General, Dwalin, is pledged to):
Warband 1
-Dwalin the Dwarf, Champion of Erebor (War Goat)
-2 Iron Hills Goat Riders (War Spears)
-3 Iron Hill Dwarves (Spears, Shields)
-2 Iron Hill Dwarves (Mattocks)

Warband 2
-Iron Hills Captain (Spear, Shield)
-Iron Hills Banner Dwarf (Shield)
-7 Iron Hills Dwarves (Shields, Spears)
-4 Iron Hills Dwarves (Crossbows and Spears)

Warband 3
-Captain of Erebor (Shield)
-5 Warriors of Erebor (Shields, Spears)
-5 Warriors of Erebor (Shields)

Warband 4
-Grim Hammer Captain
-9 Grim Hammers

Total: 800 on the dot

So meets the criteria for allies under the NOVA rules, up to 50% of the force must be from the General's faction (Champions of Erebor).

This army is post BO5A and has a single named hero. I am a none too competitive player in most games I play and I wanted to create a list that might be considered well-rounded. Not sure how I did.

Thoughts on my adjustments?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:02 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Two issues that I see - 1) Grimhammers just aren't very good, especially compared to Iron Hills Dwarves or even Warriors of Erebor. And 2) NOVA this year is 700 points not 800.

If you're going to NOVA, I'd drop the whole Grimhammer warband and add in a few more Iron hills dwarves to get to 700 on the nose

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:16 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

ja33 wrote:
Two issues that I see - 1) Grimhammers just aren't very good, especially compared to Iron Hills Dwarves or even Warriors of Erebor. And 2) NOVA this year is 700 points not 800.

If you're going to NOVA, I'd drop the whole Grimhammer warband and add in a few more Iron hills dwarves to get to 700 on the nose

What about Grimhammers(I already have a box) are exactly bad? I don't push towards full optimization, just something that has a nice balance and can be semi-competitive given time to learn.

Ok I didn't realize the NOVA points limit was dropping to 700, but that's ok because less to buy haha. But I am looking at some more Hill Dwarves (3 more Spears, 3 mattocks, and 3 more Goat Riders). I wish the crossbows would hurry up and make an appearance!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:38 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Armond wrote:

What about Grimhammers(I already have a box) are exactly bad? I don't push towards full optimization, just something that has a nice balance and can be semi-competitive given time to learn.

Grimhammers are just too expensive for what they bring. They have Throwing Weapons and were the only semi-ranged option in the army of Thror but since Iron Hills are an option, they aren't worth their points.
If you want to go 2 handed, the Iron hills have the option for a mattock, come at the same points, and have +1S. If you want ranged options, the Iron Hill can be equipped with crossbow.