It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

Post subject: Dragon 750p wolves spiders orcs
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:29 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

*Dragon
- 5 wild warg

*Orc Taskmaster
- 8 orc warrior (1 with only hand weapon)
- 4 giant spider

*Orc Shaman
- 7 orc warrior
- 2 giant spider
- 4 warg rider

*Barrowwight
-9 orc warrior
-3 warg rider

Overall: 750p, 45 units, 6 might. Is this competitive army?
 Post subject: Re: Dragon 750p wolves spiders orcs
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Interesting. First off, all the orcs should be Morannons. They are just so much better. I'd maybe drop the wargs to build up your numbers and take a Nazgul, probably the Dwimmerlaik. What upgrades do you have for the Dragon? Hope that helps and good luck!

As for whether it is competitive or not, I don't play competitively, so I don't know. It does look cool, though!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:10 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

In my opinion the dragon needs upgrades, and I find tough hide and fly by far the best. You have enough warriors but I do not think the barrow-wight is the right choice. The barrow-wight needs a wraith to sap will first and so he will be unlikely to get many paralyses off and he has no might. If I was making a team with a dragon, I would probably do something like this

Dragon with fly
12 Wild Wargs

Shadow Lord horse
6 Orc shield
5 Orc spear
1 Black numenorean war horn (or orc with banner)

Orc Shaman
6 Orc spear
6 Orc shield

The shadow lord protects you from shooting until combat and gives a lot of magic to deal with any threats to the dragon. The black numenorean with war horn gives a very important courage boost to the dragon which is huge, but if you did not want to convert one you could add a banner instead. Of course your warriors are not amazing, but that is what happens when you use almost half your points on a dragon.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I wanted to make an army that has all units i like: wargs, warg riders, orcs, spiders, barrow-wight, and ofc dragon... Background themic is that a young dragon awakens nearby misty mountains and starts to gather nearby creatures... This Barrowwight could be any dark spirit dwelling in some old grave or inside the Mirkwood.

So, you ask why not morannons? Because they look bulky and crude compared to normal orcs. xD

The dragon has no upgrades. The downside is that it is easier for enemy to tie it or bewitch it... But the good side is that there is plenty of other powerful units in army... This barrow-wight should also be an excellent budget choice to paralize any annoying non-priority enemy hero, or maybe in a very serious situation, aid the dragon to kill some rlyyy tough enemy hero like treebeard, aragorn, gil-galad...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:11 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Well if you like your theme go for it as see how it works.

I get what you are saying about the no upgrades on the dragon but at the moment it would be very easy for your opponent to use magic on it and score some fairly easy wounds on it in one turn which could cause it to run. For the amount of points you need it to be the focus and centre of your army.

Yes the barrow-wight seems good with its paralyse, but most decent heroes get 3 will and the barrow-wight only has 5. Chances are you will get 2 maybe 3 successful casts and these can be easily defended by a hero with 3 will and some might. In my opinion the barrow-wight would be a waste of points in this list even if he has a good back story like you have said.

Have you considered Druzhag instead? He is really nice with wargs and spiders.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Look. Both the enemy and the defender must reveal the amount of will-points before rolls are cast. If barrow-wight uses just 1 dice per turn, it should be able to pull out a couple of paralyzes, and those will last probably several turns.

Wyrmtongue would be actually a good spell, insta-kill nazguls and "paralyze" the enemy mages. But I have no idea how to get it into this point-size. :|
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:14 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Pretty sure that is not how spells work. The defender can choose how many to use to resist AFTER the spell is cast. The Attack must decide BEFORE hand.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:59 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yep McGarncle is right, if you roll a 5 on your paralyse with one dice, they could use all their 3 will to defend, hence your barrow-wight will have a tough time doing anything
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Look. Might be. Sometimes my rules plop out from Ring Edition. I'm 80% sure that in Ring Edition spells work in the way I descriped, but I believe u if u say they have changed... Even with these new rules, ehm... It has 5 attempts, 1/3 chance each attempt = 1/3 * 5 = more likely 2 than 1 will succeed which is still ok... enemies would need to at least beware

But what about wyrmtongue? WOuld this army list work in 800 points army, dragon having wyrmtongue?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think Wyrmtongue might actually be the best option here.