All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:24 am

Post subject: 500 Points Moria
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi Guys,

Trying to expand my Moria Goblins to 500 points and make them a bit more competitive - what do you think?

The wargs I would like to include as the models are nice and they add some mobility.

Warband 1
Durburz, The Goblin King of Moria
6x Moria Goblin Warrior, Shield
6x Moria Goblin Warrior, Spear

Warband 2
Moria Goblin Shaman

Warband 3
Moria Goblin Captain, Shield

Warband 4
Moria Goblin Captain, Shield

Warband 5
6x Fell Warg

Warband 6
6x Fell Warg

Total 503 Points (If an issue with the opponent I can always take a goblin off)
Model Count: 58
Might: 8

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: 500 Points Moria
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:12 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would probably take off a captain and that goblin and use the points to add in groblog, just to make sure you save that point of might on the shaman, not being so limited to 1 channeled fury in which with poor rolling can go bad... also will free the shaman to get the might to spend on something else, even to enhance that poor rolling to make it effective cast.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks - I was looking at taking Groblog but he's no longer on the GW website :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:38 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

For 500pts battle the 58 models make one of the most numerous armies possible. This goblin snowball can be almost an auto-win factor in many scenarios but an auto-lose in others. The advantage is that you have many models with speed and the 8 might is enough in these points (with the correction galanur made, even better). Another possible change is to add a kind of cheap mage like Gundabad Blackshield shaman or Ashrak, making possible to deal with powerful models that is needed in the auto-lose scenarios I am refering to.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'd definitely swap out Durburz for Groblog. The improved Fury save is pretty helpful. I'd also swap out one of the generic captains for a 2nd shaman. Groblog and 2 shamen have good synergy. The Fury saves are useful, but having 2 zones of not having to pass courage tests are extremely helpful, especially if your force breaks.

If you're going to go the horde theme, I'd also swap out some generic goblins for Goblin Prowlers. They're only 7 points, and they're +1 to wound trapped enemies, and +1 for their 2H weapon. That's wounding even defense 7 on 4s. I'd also seriously consider dropping a few models, and mixing in a couple of Warg Marauders. 35 pts for S4, 3 Att, 3 Wnds, gets cavalry bonuses and can still fire 2 shots (albeit not very good ones), when moving, or when already in a fight. Just a tremendous value for a mere 35 points.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I´d take the bat swarm rather than the warg marauders, because they can grab objectives that are far away and make the big heroes like Boromir and Gil-Galad much easier to kill. But still, the marauders are very effective against enemy infantry, so are worth a look and a solid choice.

You could take some 20 goblins with spear and 20 with shield, 6 prowlers, and 2 bat swarms being led by 2 regular shamans, Groblog and a blackshield shaman. This force has some 52 models, not a whole lot of might tho, but it's still highly effective as it can cripple or outright kill enemy heroes and can hold their own against heavy infantry like uruk-hai and dwarves.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Men are weak wrote:
I'd definitely swap out Durburz for Groblog. The improved Fury save is pretty helpful. I'd also swap out one of the generic captains for a 2nd shaman. Groblog and 2 shamen have good synergy. The Fury saves are useful, but having 2 zones of not having to pass courage tests are extremely helpful, especially if your force breaks.

If you're going to go the horde theme, I'd also swap out some generic goblins for Goblin Prowlers. They're only 7 points, and they're +1 to wound trapped enemies, and +1 for their 2H weapon. That's wounding even defense 7 on 4s. I'd also seriously consider dropping a few models, and mixing in a couple of Warg Marauders. 35 pts for S4, 3 Att, 3 Wnds, gets cavalry bonuses and can still fire 2 shots (albeit not very good ones), when moving, or when already in a fight. Just a tremendous value for a mere 35 points.

not to mention + to their F... they can even tie up vs other normal infantry.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Good tips. thank you everyone. I will see what I can pickup

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Do Fell Wargs have some special rule that means they don't need a hero in their warbands?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

yea denizens of mirkwood let you take a combination of various warbands of a specific size.

Warbands can be made of:

Warbands of 6 fell wargs
Warbands of 2 mirkwood spiders
Warbands of both mix but you need 10 models.

Pretty neat to give you choices....