All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:15 pm

Post subject: 700 points of Gondor (my first and favorite army)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I've been a long time LOTR player living sadly isolated from any other players even though I live in a major US city (ATL, GA. I'd be willing to travel a little. PM me if you live nearby and want to have a game). But I vicariously enjoy my hobby through the likes of this forum and others' stories.

Before I share my list, I want to give a little explanation as to my goals in making the list. I really like the Gondor army. Boromir is one of, if not my most favorite, favorite characters. I want it to be themed. I also want it to be somewhat competitive (not meaning top table, just not a pushover army).

My theme for the list is what a defending force in Osgiliath could of looked like during the time Gandalf the Grey was in Minas Tirith researching the ring's origins while the ring rested in the shire. Since that is the case, Citadel Guard and GoTFC don't seem to fit. Please offer advice on how to play the list as is and changes you would make. Without further ado...

Might: 14
Models: 36
Bows: 12
Banners: 1
Break: 18
25%: 9

#1 9 Might, 2 Models
Gandalf the Grey
on horse
Boromir of Gondor
with elven cloak on horse

#2 3 Might, 13 Models
Faramir, Captain of Gondor
with heavy armor and shield
5 Osgiliath Veterans
with shield
6 Osgiliath Veterans
with shield and spear
Banner

#3 0 Might, 13 Models
Denethor Steward of Gondor (Could be replaced with Damrod, and probably will as the steward probably wouldn't be at the front line. If I dropped Denethor and a ranger, then I could mount Faramir)
10 Rangers of Gondor
2 Rangers of Gondor
with spear

#4 2 Might, 8 Models
Captain of Minas Tirith
with shield and horse
4 Knights w/ Shield
1 Osgiliath Veterans
2 Osgiliath Veterans

Strengths:
***Gandalf on horse for mobile casting (G the G is just great at his points cost)
***Big choppy hero on horse
***I think it has plenty of might to go around
*nearly fight 4 across the board
*max bows on units that bows are not a less effective option (Rangers as opposed to WOMT)
*decent cavalry
* I like having a banner, especially when f4 or higher as it helps increase the chance of drawing a fight.

Weaknesses:
*Lower model count
*D 4-6 models, only one D7 model
*nearly half my might is on one hero (who also has no fate and one will)
*no heroes with lances (that's a personal preference. I'm not much for them)
 Post subject: Re: 700 points of Gondor (my first and favorite army)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey first off you should think about coming up to Nova open! It's in DC. Check out the website or the DC hobbit league for more detail!

Also about the list I'd suggest

1. Drop the banner to give Feramir a horse and lance. Also give the captain a lance.
2. I'd mix up the war bands a bit, I'd mix the rangers in.
3. Lastly imo you might look at saving some points by using some vets and some mtw it will still look good, feel fluffy but not cost as much as the vets. Then use the vets for what they are good at. Charging terror causing or lending f4 where it's available.

Hope this helps!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I love seeing a Gondor army and really like this theme with the brothers together. Having said that, I would change a couple things.

1. I would replace the Gondor Captain with Boromir of the White Tower and have him mounted with the Knights. Themeatically it makes more sense and he is a beast.

2. I would drop Denethor and put in Damrod. Again it makes sense.

3. I would trade out some of your Osgiliath Vets for basic WoMT. I think it looks better with a mix of guys like in the movie then just all Vets.

Another thing just for looks I might mix up your Warbands so that there are Rangers, WoMT, and Vets in both warbands to give it that awesome Osgiliath feel. I would also drop the armor and shield for Faramir and just give him his bow to fit more thematically.

Warning: you may have to drop a few more models with the changes I made but overall I think the theme will really pop with them and I don't think you lose that much by doing so.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:46 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thank you both! I'm refiguring my army with what I like from both of your posts. Any tips on strategy?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:42 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You can swith Galdalf with Saruman the white on horse (old white council list). Aside from being 10 pts cheaper and way more effective, Saruman was the one Denethor respected the most, and spent some time in Minas Tirith.
New Saruman (the wise) has lost the option to have a horse, but has aura of command, which will make Denethor pass all his courage tests, thus having full control over him. F5, two attacks, banner and support: is very dangerous.

as for Boromir, i think the elven cloak is wasted: he starts on horseback, which means that the elven cloak has no effect.
That means he will be top priority archery target.
Your opponent will likely shoot with all his archers at the same time, splitting between horse and Boromir himself before the cloak kicks in.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dikey wrote:
You can swith Galdalf with Saruman the white on horse (old white council list). Aside from being 10 pts cheaper and way more effective, Saruman was the one Denethor respected the most, and spent some time in Minas Tirith.
New Saruman (the wise) has lost the option to have a horse, but has aura of command, which will make Denethor pass all his courage tests, thus having full control over him. F5, two attacks, banner and support: is very dangerous. (not to mention hes resistant to magic and got the lord of the Istari special rule, which turn him out to make him a great magic caster and nullifier)

as for Boromir, i think the elven cloak is wasted: he starts on horseback, which means that the elven cloak has no effect.
That means he will be top priority archery target.
Your opponent will likely shoot with all his archers at the same time, splitting between horse and Boromir himself before the cloak kicks in.