All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:49 pm

Post subject: Dwarves at 500pts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:53 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I wanted to make a dwarves list that I could play with at the most common points value I usually play. However the dwarves I own are usually just for allying in a war band so I have a bit of a weird hero to warriors ratio. With that said what I own is: Throrins Company, Gimli, 1 bow of warriors of Erebor, 1 (old) box of Dwarf warriors, and 4 iron guard.

With those restrictions I came up with this list:

Gimli
-4 Dwarf Warriors with bow
-5 dwarf Warriors with shield
-2 Iron Guard
Dwalin
-6 warriors of Erebor with shield
-6 warriors of Erebor with shield and spear
Ori
Dori

I choose Dwalin over Thorin because I love his ability to chew through troops which is really what this army is for (with 3 combat heroes). Ori is there for cheeky wounds and to hopefully restore some might. The warriors with bow are there so I won't have to chase the game (much) if they have a high bow count (probably not, knowing the guys I play with), plus I find some bow fire (especially at str3) is always nice to have around.

Anyway C&C welcome!

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
 Post subject: Re: Dwarves at 500pts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:49 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

In short terms Gimli replaces Thorin anyway... thorin just gets better at some stats and its very situational with orcrist.

Dwalin is a great choice, S5 + burly, pitty its just D6 and 2 might but then aint that bad at all for the cost.

Still a bit relutant about Ironguard but could work... would prefer khazad for being durable and less likely to test terror in compensation for lacking of 1A. Although cheaper 4pts a piece.

More than Relutant im kinda concerned about those dwarf bows.... why? laid back in the army 4 models to shoot at stuff where they could shieldwall to deliver an heroe payload to an oponent. Can still be effective, but 4 bows are meh with so few around for this game point wise where the range is so short mostly you have 1 option to shoot once and do something before line crashes or there is alot block line of sight.

You could make this:

Gimli
3 dwarf warriors with shield

Floi
3 dwarf warriors with shield

Dwalin
5 erebor with shield
5 erebor with spear

Bombur
Dori

Total: 499

bit less numbers BUT

Floi its more reliable with Bombur around.
also good sort to work out against magic and the heroes you got dont have many, a dwarf that restores that can be usefull.... and its o na 3 wound dwarf anyway...

If you want to remove Floi, then get alot warriors for it.

You have to get Floi though.....

If you dont have him, get a company member that uses will so you can use bombur effectively along the way...
 Post subject: Re: Dwarves at 500pts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:18 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Galanur's list isn't bad at all but one issue I can see is in scenarios where your army deployment is split. A warband of only 3 warriors and a hero is going to get swamped immediately should your opponent moves a warband up behind it. This will certainly be the case for Floi's warband and probably for Gimli's as well, although he can handle combat a bit better. This will leave you one hero down in either case, both if you're unlucky, meaning that Gimli's might and combat ability and Floi's useful ability are nullified for no real gain very early on. If I were you I would drop one of the two heroes and their warbands; my choice would be Gimli's as there isn't much he can do that Dwalin isn't better at. Then give Floi a decent warband so that it isn't a calamity if him and his group get separated from the main force. My variation of the list would look something like this:
W1: Gimli with 4 Dwarf Warriors with Shield, 1 Dwarf Warrior with Two-Handed Axe (two handed piercing strike is handy occasionally) and 4 Iron Guard, for a solid, hard hitting warband that can hold its own
W2: Dwalin with 5 Warriors of Erebor with Shield and 5 Warriors of Erebor with Spear and Shield
W3: Dori and Nori (two decent combat heroes that can survive a few rounds on their own, Ori was a weak link in the original)
Doesn't require any new models, similar to the original but with a few alterations. Hope this helps!