All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:33 pm

Post subject: Hobbit and friends
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:21 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Just for fun I thought about a 700 point Hobbit army (don't have the models :( but maybe will prox them).

Here are two lists:
Warband 1 12/12
Meriadoc, Captain of the Shire with Shield;
10 Hobbit Militia
2 Shirrif
----
Warband 2 12/12
Peregrin, Captain of the Shire
10 Hobbit Militia
2 Shirrif
----
Warband 3 12/12
Paladin Took
12 Hobbit Archer
----
Warband 4 0/0
Lobelia Sackville-Baggins
----
Warband 5 0/0
Fredegar Bolger
----
Warband 6 10/12
Gildor Inglorion
6 Noldorin Exile with Wood Elf spear;
4 Noldorin Exile with Elf Bow; Wood Elf spear;
----
Warband 7 9/12
Elladan and Elrohir with Elf Bow; Heavy armour;
9 Ranger of Arnor with Spear;
----
Warband 8 0/0
Ranger of the North with Spear;
----
Warband 9 0/0

A good model count, many bows, a lot of F4/5 spear support, Elvenblades and transfix (hopefully covered to ringwraiths by his Elvencloak) against Monsters, ranger of the north and Fredegar to deploy first and a few Noldor for speed (11" with a heroic march) . The thing missing is a big hero and therefore I wrote a second list including Aragorn

Warband 1 4/12
Aragorn, Isildur's Heir
4 Ranger of Arnor
----
Warband 2 5/12
Elladan and Elrohir with Elf Bow; Heavy armour;
4 Ranger of Arnor
----
Warband 3 0/0
----
Warband 4 0/0
----
Warband 5 12/12
Meriadoc, Captain of the Shire
10 Hobbit Militia
2 Shirrif
----
Warband 6 12/12
Peregrin, Captain of the Shire
10 Hobbit Militia
2 Shirrif
----
Warband 7 12/12
Paladin Took
12 Hobbit Archer
----
Warband 8 0/0
Lobelia Sackville-Baggins
----
Warband 9 0/0
Fredegar Bolger

A lower model count, but Aragorn with his free might seems that good calling heroic moves, marches, shoots and so on every turn; furthermore he, Elladan and Elrohir and the Rangers are a fast moving (with heroic marches) and difficult terrain ignoring group, too.

So what do you think, which list is stronger and what would you change?
 Post subject: Re: Hobbit and friends
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would drop Bolger and Lobelia to upgrade the militia, in both list. I like the second most, considering that with 54 models you will still outnumber any other army, and you will also have Aragorn. I'm not a fan of Gildor.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Bolger and Lobelia are there to drop them first and therefore be able to deploy the rest of my army after my opponent deployed all of his warbands, so that I get an advantage early, I think this is worth 15 points (besides Lobelias special rule is very good, if she stays alive long enough, especially against orcs or other low courage troops, while my hobbits have courage 4 because of the horn).
I like the second, too. 25 bows and a free might per turn seems evil :)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Frêrin wrote:
Bolger and Lobelia are there to drop them first and therefore be able to deploy the rest of my army after my opponent deployed all of his warbands, so that I get an advantage early, I think this is worth 15 points (besides Lobelias special rule is very good, if she stays alive long enough, especially against orcs or other low courage troops, while my hobbits have courage 4 because of the horn).
I like the second, too. 25 bows and a free might per turn seems evil :)

You have enough warband to force you opponent to deploy first without lobelia (placing one ranger of the north, then the other) and you can use Lobelia's point to powerup the Fight Value of some militia.
Hobbit armies lack spears and banners. A better Fight value is necessary to match, at least, the common foot soldier.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:56 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Battlin Brandybocks have a higher strength not fight value. I thought about the upgrade, but didn't have the points left and I want to upgrade all or no one. Moreover I've got axes to increase my strength.
The problem is that even if I upgrade the archers to F3, most opponents will have F4 and therefore the point is wasted. That is what I like about the first list. It has a lot of F4/5 spear support.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Frêrin wrote:
Battlin Brandybocks have a higher strength not fight value. I thought about the upgrade, but didn't have the points left and I want to upgrade all or no one. Moreover I've got axes to increase my strength.
The problem is that even if I upgrade the archers to F3, most opponents will have F4 and therefore the point is wasted. That is what I like about the first list. It has a lot of F4/5 spear support.

you are right, the Tuc's Fight Upgrade is not for militia but for archers, I remembered it wrong. But I still think Lobelia is a waste of point.
One thing you could do in the first list is replace the elf warband with Arnor. Spears, F4 and D6. All stuff that you could really use.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The problem is Arnor isn't that themed and I do not have the models.
I think Lobelia is really cool! It's only 1,5% of the total points and she can win you the game causing your opponents warriors to flee.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:11 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Frêrin wrote:
The problem is Arnor isn't that themed and I do not have the models.
I think Lobelia is really cool! It's only 1,5% of the total points and she can win you the game causing your opponents warriors to flee.

Actually, the hobbits swore allegiance to the Kings of Arnor and Fought alongside Arnor and Gondor at Fornost.
Problem with Lobelia is that her rule will backfire. No one will benefit from stand fast, and that's including your own models. With a Nazgul near (at 700 pts there will be a lot of them around), Lobelia could make your own army flee.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dikey wrote:
Actually, the hobbits swore allegiance to the Kings of Arnor and Fought alongside Arnor and Gondor at Fornost.

But this was a few years before all the Hobbit heros were born ;) Moreover there is no proof that there actually were Hobbits fighting in Arnor (they just said there were a few archers :D ).

Dikey wrote:
Problem with Lobelia is that her rule will backfire. No one will benefit from stand fast, and that's including your own models. With a Nazgul near (at 700 pts there will be a lot of them around), Lobelia could make your own army flee.

But I want to play Lobelia! Any other thoughts?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:48 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Frêrin wrote:
But this was a few years before all the Hobbit heros were born ;) Moreover there is no proof that there actually were Hobbits fighting in Arnor (they just said there were a few archers :D ).

I've seen armies with way less coherence. At least there's been some connection between them.

Quote:
But I want to play Lobelia! Any other thoughts?

Then you have to be very careful. Lobelia (like any other hobbit) isn't a model who could survive long on a battlefield and requires some real thinking to be used correctly. There are way to many counter to Lobelia that you will find at 700 pts [Shamans and any other spellcaster who can cast compel, to say the most common].

If I'd to deal with Lobelia with a Nazgul (with so many mirkwood elves around, I heard that Lord of Shadow has became a common sight. Good magic and 6 to hit from afar) I'd compel her to go as close as possibile to her own troops, stay at "12 away and let the -1 to courage do the work for me.

But there's only one thing to do.
Play a couple of matches and see. Maybe, after you use her a few times, you will understand more of her than I do.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

New idea: The rings go west:

Warband 1-5: 41 Hobbits like in the other lists

Warband 6:
Galadriel, Lady of Light

Warband 7:
Elrond with heavy armour and horse
5 Knights of Rivendell with shields

Warband 8:
Lindir

Galadriel against ringwraiths and Elrond+Lindir to cast Nature's Wrath every turn. I'd maybe even take a horse for Lindir instead of Lobelia ;)