All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:04 pm

Post subject: Elven army featuring new Mirkwood Elves.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello all.

So I've been allowed a sneak at what I'm being blessed with by the Valar on Christmas day.

I have a box of Rivendell Knights, six mirkwood glaives, three swords and three bows for a complete warband. Plus Thranduil the King himself.

I hope to have an all mounted Rivendell Knight army at some point but I figure the best way for me to learn how to use them effectively is start with them as an added flavour to a force rather than the force itself.

So I was hoping to put a list together like this:

Thranduil KotWR (Four attacks)
3 Mirkwood Armoured Swordsmen
6 Mirkwood Armoured Glaives
3 Mirkwood Armoured Bows.

Rivendell Knight Captain (Lance, shield etc)
5 Rivendell Knights with shields.

This is it how it stands. I hope to make a list that I can just add and remove warbands so it works in most point limits. In my box I also have Galadriel protectress of Lothlorien, Glorfindel Lord of the West, Erestor, High Elven Captain, Twins on foot (armoured), five spears and shields, two banners, about twenty two handed swords and twenty bows.

I know it's a very rough list but if you think I'm missing any problems, please critique.
 Post subject: Re: Elven army featuring new Mirkwood Elves.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Galadriel works for of like the shadowlord but a bunch more powerfull on magic, also a nice anti wraith model in magic.

I would highly advice taking her, she is aowrth every points, even to help your squishy armoured elves and make them into combat, yes crossbows gonna hurt you and all forms of shooting (for example a dragon´s breath weapon *wink*)

I still dunno to where you wanna aim this force, 500pts?

I would suggest the following:

5 Mirkwood Armoured Glaives

3 Rivendell Knights with shields.

White Council
Galadriel, lady of Light

499pts

Or instead of her use a palace guard captain and add more elves (yes he will get fight 7 nearby thranduil)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Galanur wrote:
Galadriel works for of like the shadowlord but a bunch more powerfull on magic, also a nice anti wraith model in magic.

I would highly advice taking her, she is aowrth every points, even to help your squishy armoured elves and make them into combat, yes crossbows gonna hurt you and all forms of shooting (for example a dragon´s breath weapon *wink*)

I still dunno to where you wanna aim this force, 500pts?

I would suggest the following:

5 Mirkwood Armoured Glaives

3 Rivendell Knights with shields.

White Council
Galadriel, lady of Light

499pts

Or instead of her use a palace guard captain and add more elves (yes he will get fight 7 nearby thranduil)

I don't actually intend to get anymore Mirkwood Elves as I intended that warband to be just a select few so I could also get Thranduil in my list. I have plenty of Noldor/High Elves. Galadriel seems useful for a very specific match up, but you're right the elves are vunerable. Is four mounted Knights enough? (Including captain.) It seems maybe two few to do the job.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Galadriel is very usefull for several reasons:

- extra defence to resist magic with fortify spirit, can turn out extremely usefull to resist transfix (which is the most annoying thing you can get on a melee chop chop thranduil, you cannot afford him being transfixed 2 often...
- nearby enemies suffer -1 on courage, get around when the force is broken and you get plenty chances to get enemies to rout.
- she cant be disarmed which is usefull
- shooting vs her and those nearby 6" only hit on a score of a 6 (increasing drastically your warband survivability before hitting into combat.
- 1 well placed banishment can put up dead to any nazgul you face.

Thranduil is that list seems more of a chop horde than hero fighting, for that elrond or legolas fit better the role..
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Galanur wrote:
Galadriel is very usefull for several reasons:

- extra defence to resist magic with fortify spirit, can turn out extremely usefull to resist transfix (which is the most annoying thing you can get on a melee chop chop thranduil, you cannot afford him being transfixed 2 often...
- nearby enemies suffer -1 on courage, get around when the force is broken and you get plenty chances to get enemies to rout.
- she cant be disarmed which is usefull
- shooting vs her and those nearby 6" only hit on a score of a 6 (increasing drastically your warband survivability before hitting into combat.
- 1 well placed banishment can put up dead to any nazgul you face.

Thranduil is that list seems more of a chop horde than hero fighting, for that elrond or legolas fit better the role..

Yeah I suppose I could have Legolas with Orcrist and Thranduil as the interchangeable leaders of the army. One being for horde fighting, another for hero slaying. There's one strategy that screams out to me with this revised list. Advance within range of Galadriel (or shields on flanks), Knights behind, open and flank with the knights when I get close. I think the Knights can fire over the heads of the Mirkwood Elves, but I'm not certain. I appreciate the help!

Though I'm curious about this anti-Nazgul Galadriel.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:28 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Palace Guard won't benefit from new Thranduil. They are very specific in the wording of which character gives which bonuses.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:35 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

SouthernDunedain wrote:
Palace Guard won't benefit from new Thranduil. They are very specific in the wording of which character gives which bonuses.

I think the Palace guard have changed kit and are basically the cavalry, but that's just an assumption.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SouthernDunedain wrote:

Go read the rules SD, the rules say Thranduil, not just Thranduil, King of Mirkwood from the desolation of Smaug supplement, so any Thranduil will do.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:00 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

So it seems. I stand corrected.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

its a nice benefit, least you can lead mirkwood elves with a defence 7 guy that get even better nearby thranduil over a D5 guy which got a fancy weapon
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Galanur wrote:
its a nice benefit, least you can lead mirkwood elves with a defence 7 guy that get even better nearby thranduil over a D5 guy which got a fancy weapon

I'm confused sorry. I'm not actually sure what the D rating for Palace guard is.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Defence value, Palace guard captain got heavy armour and shield = D7, the mirkwood captains from this hobbit got D5, seems alot weaker despite the fancy weapon (spear/elven blade/ can shield all in a go) and both cost the same in points

As part if you wanna take the hobbit elven mirk cav, I dont think there worth it...an elf that can re-roll in fight if thranduil is nearby but with defence 4 and costing 16pts a piece, im not sure, galadhrim knights o nthe same step there a bit more expensive but alot alot more options to field and gear up, also horses are better at charging through terrain with fleetfot...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Galanur wrote:
Defence value, Palace guard captain got heavy armour and shield = D7, the mirkwood captains from this hobbit got D5, seems alot weaker despite the fancy weapon (spear/elven blade/ can shield all in a go) and both cost the same in points

As part if you wanna take the hobbit elven mirk cav, I dont think there worth it...an elf that can re-roll in fight if thranduil is nearby but with defence 4 and costing 16pts a piece, im not sure, galadhrim knights o nthe same step there a bit more expensive but alot alot more options to field and gear up, also horses are better at charging through terrain with fleetfot...

Couldn't agree more. I will use Rivendell Knights as I have five of those and one captain. I could use Erestor as a captain but I do really want to get some use out of this warband I purchased. I'm not sure I'll get anymore because.. well, they are good support/light infantry, but against as many S4 enemies there are these days, best to stick with High Elves Defence 5 and 6.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

mirwood infantry can be complicated in a way, prob best way for you is to use them like wood elves (of a sort) most of em just with glaive and/or bow

they are armoured elves but still defence 4, only good thing is that S4 kill em on 4+ rather than 3+ compared to wood elves, but these cost 10pts a pop, they are expensive...

I would prob take the following 4/4/4 Palace guard with shield/mirk elves with glaive/bow

Then you say why not elves with shield if its to die vs S4 either D5 or 6 gonna die at same value... well

For 2 things, if its thran in the mix,
- you get front rank fight 6 value nearby thran
- bodyguard, go charge head on terror kind of foes there all good

They do cost 2 palace guard with shield for 3 elves with shield(in comparison), but vs S2 or 3, the defence 6 makes a considerable diference.

To use mirk armoured elves in most cases its just a matter of taste if you like em or not more than anything...
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Galanur wrote:
mirwood infantry can be complicated in a way, prob best way for you is to use them like wood elves (of a sort) most of em just with glaive and/or bow

they are armoured elves but still defence 4, only good thing is that S4 kill em on 4+ rather than 3+ compared to wood elves, but these cost 10pts a pop, they are expensive...

I would prob take the following 4/4/4 Palace guard with shield/mirk elves with glaive/bow

Then you say why not elves with shield if its to die vs S4 either D5 or 6 gonna die at same value... well

For 2 things, if its thran in the mix,
- you get front rank fight 6 value nearby thran
- bodyguard, go charge head on terror kind of foes there all good

They do cost 2 palace guard with shield for 3 elves with shield(in comparison), but vs S2 or 3, the defence 6 makes a considerable diference.

To use mirk armoured elves in most cases its just a matter of taste if you like em or not more than anything...

Really not a huge fan of the Mirkwood palace guards. Great stats or not, but I am looking for a way to include High Elves, other than the Knights I mean. Perhaps in a third warband.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

500pts of these aint easy unless oyu drop galadriel and fill up with an high elf warband
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Galanur wrote:
500pts of these aint easy unless oyu drop galadriel and fill up with an high elf warband

That's true, depends on what the enemy is fielding though. If it's say, an Uruk force or a heavy infantry force, the extra High elf warband + Standard bearer might be a good idea.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

standart bearer not sure but can work.. i hardly use em anyway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well when you consider the Elves advantage usually is found in the duel roll, I find it's best to capitalize on that. It's brilliant for bolstering a flank against monsters or superior forces. Gives more opportunities to kill too.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

if that happens I do then highly advice you getting gil galad and upgrade some elves to king´s guard for fight 6, you will be able to give a big headache to aragorns and those big meta heroes in melee