All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:59 pm

Post subject: The Riders of Barad-dur 499 points (Part 1 of 2?)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I absolutely adore two lines of models: Warg Riders and Uruk-hai Berserkers, so I am going to be asking for your gracious assistance by giving some feedback on this list here to represent Warg-Riders everywhere! I desire the list to be Warg-Rider heavy, as you can see below, yet I would like opinions on if this would be a good force to use.

Mordor:
Gothmog w/ Warg, shield -150
12 warg riders w/ shields -156
(sub:306)

Orc Captain w/ Warg, Shield -55
9 Orc Trackers w/ wargs -99
3 Warg Riders w/ shields -39
(sub:193)

General grouping of the army is:
Gothmog w/ 8 Warg Riders
Orc Captain w/ 7 Warg Riders
9 Orc Trackers flank

I chose Mordor so that I could get access to Orc Trackers who in turn will serve as my mobile-firing platforms that can harass enemy lines with thwip-thwip 5+ arrows.

Gothmog was chosen to eat up points so that I do not have to buy another 8 Warg Riders, even though that may be more effective in the long run. What Gothmog does offer, however, is potential free heroic-actions which would help make up for the lack of might.

I believe that as long as I keep in line with the tactics that GBHL offers on Calvary, as well as the tactics in one of my old White Dwarf issues, I can utilize all 26 calvary models that this army wields.

(CE) Battle Companies 2016 Edition
 Post subject: Re: The Riders of Barad-dur 499 points (Part 1 of 2?)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:03 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Commissariat wrote:
I absolutely adore two lines of models: Warg Riders and Uruk-hai Berserkers, so I am going to be asking for your gracious assistance by giving some feedback on this list here to represent Warg-Riders everywhere! I desire the list to be Warg-Rider heavy, as you can see below, yet I would like opinions on if this would be a good force to use.

Mordor:
Gothmog w/ Warg, shield -150
12 warg riders w/ shields -156
(sub:306)

Orc Captain w/ Warg, Shield -55
9 Orc Trackers w/ wargs -99
3 Warg Riders w/ shields -39
(sub:193)

General grouping of the army is:
Gothmog w/ 8 Warg Riders
Orc Captain w/ 7 Warg Riders
9 Orc Trackers flank

I chose Mordor so that I could get access to Orc Trackers who in turn will serve as my mobile-firing platforms that can harass enemy lines with thwip-thwip 5+ arrows.

Gothmog was chosen to eat up points so that I do not have to buy another 8 Warg Riders, even though that may be more effective in the long run. What Gothmog does offer, however, is potential free heroic-actions which would help make up for the lack of might.

I believe that as long as I keep in line with the tactics that GBHL offers on Calvary, as well as the tactics in one of my old White Dwarf issues, I can utilize all 26 calvary models that this army wields.

Its definitely not a bad list. You can win with it. Just keep those trackers out of combat till absolutely necessary.

Furthermore you don't have to move and shoot with them. Just keep them in range of the combat.
And I see why you want to use Gothmog but he's an over costed hero if I've ever seen one.

But then Idk what other Mordor mounted hero you might want so yes not bad. He's a tough tough model just not worth the points. Your army looks fun though. Personally, I'd rather just form another warband with another captain for more might which you need for heroic charges.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:09 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thank you for your response good sir!

I figured that taking another orc captain and few warg riders would be better. If I did that I could squeeze in even more trackers for more ranged support to follow my riders.

I looked at the other heroes, everything from Shelob to Witch-King, so there are some decent options in there. I also opted for Gothmog due to his Warginess.

Orc Trackers definitely do not want combat, but they won't be slouches either due to being cavalry. In an emergency they can be what gets my riders out of terrible odds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

For sure. And yeah there are good options in the Mordor List but Got mog is the only on warg I believe.

I just prefer more captains more might and more mobility. Others definitely will disagree with me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:08 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It does look like a fun army, if you can find one for a sensible price it might be worth including an Orc shaman on Warg.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Yeah, fury would be a great tool to use, good idea.

Anything that is "Orc", aside from named characters, I can easily make from the orc sprue. My Captain on Warg will be made from one of the "Orc with Shield" models, thus making him larger and unique from the crowd. So, Shaman is no big deal to make!