All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:29 am

Post subject: great beast of gororoth questions about using him
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:13 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

im planning to making a mordor army and thinking of including one of these in my average 500-750 pt games over a mordor troll. i like how it can shoot 9 bows even and still counting as 1 model when calculating bow limits its should be there any reasons i should take a mordor troll over one of these beasts and how to use them (i'm assuming like a troll but shoot at all the squishy targets). also how many would u add to a army for a 750 pts. i also have a few rules with this as well with shooting if the beast moves do the orcs get the -1 to shoot (reason as to why plz) and the most important question are they fun to use.
 Post subject: Re: great beast of gororoth questions about using him
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I played against one in an army of 750 points 2 weeks ago. They are atleast fun to play against! I think 1 is enough. In the rules stays that the archers on a Great beast of Gorgoroth always hit on a 6, even if the beast didn't moved that turn. Because of the 6+ to hit and orc bows, they won't do much damage, in the whole battle they only killed 2 of my minis, they had D5. There is no really reason to take a troll as far as think, because these beast are perfect to break a shieldwall, one of the main goals for trolls, as long as you have priorety...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I can tell you one massive reason to go with trolls over the great beast. Fight Value

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:49 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

KM1301 wrote:
In the rules stays that the archers on a Great beast of Gorgoroth always hit on a 6, even if the beast didn't moved that turn.

This is not true. There is no such rule, neither in the profile in the sourcebook, nor in the FAQ.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:34 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Bronf wrote:
im planning to making a mordor army and thinking of including one of these in my average 500-750 pt games over a mordor troll. i like how it can shoot 9 bows even and still counting as 1 model when calculating bow limits its should be there any reasons i should take a mordor troll over one of these beasts and how to use them (i'm assuming like a troll but shoot at all the squishy targets). also how many would u add to a army for a 750 pts. i also have a few rules with this as well with shooting if the beast moves do the orcs get the -1 to shoot (reason as to why plz) and the most important question are they fun to use.

Id say in 500 put 1. In 750 it depends on what you use in the rest of the army.

If you go cheap with like Gorbag, Grisknakh, captains, etc and massive of orcs, sure....take two. If you go with even one hero thats like 100+ points and elite units then take 1.

Trolls are fun, but all of my luck with Mordor trolls has been poor.

And the shooting and moving value doesnt matter because the profile shows its 6+ to hit with ranged attacks and the rule states this profile is all counted as one model, including the archers....

KM1301 wrote:
I played against one in an army of 750 points 2 weeks ago. They are atleast fun to play against! I think 1 is enough. In the rules stays that the archers on a Great beast of Gorgoroth always hit on a 6, even if the beast didn't moved that turn. Because of the 6+ to hit and orc bows, they won't do much damage, in the whole battle they only killed 2 of my minis, they had D5. There is no really reason to take a troll as far as think, because these beast are perfect to break a shieldwall, one of the main goals for trolls, as long as you have priorety...

Yeah I never saw their rule about continuing to walk through and kill troops with strength 6 hits. Thats brutal with anything with 5 or less D. Even with 6 you only need 4s to kill.

And yeah....Never really studied this things profile till tonight. It looks super fun and probably worth the points. Mathematically your archers alone should get 30-50 pts worth of kills as long as you use your army properly.

JamesR wrote:
I can tell you one massive reason to go with trolls over the great beast. Fight Value

Thats def the one big advantage I see. Otherwise, Id say they both have their cool uses. Thing is I believe more people are bound to know how to deal with a troll and his abilities though. So yeah, hopefully you roll high. But if you get the charge and kill a few guys throughout the game, then get some bow kills, I think he'll be worth his points.

GrashnarTheSecond wrote:
KM1301 wrote:
In the rules stays that the archers on a Great beast of Gorgoroth always hit on a 6, even if the beast didn't moved that turn.

This is not true. There is no such rule, neither in the profile in the sourcebook, nor in the FAQ.

Yeah technically, that is not written, but the profile says 6+ to hit, so he is indeed correct.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:39 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

ok read all of it and i will be using it on a fight when i can use my mordor army but still with the shooting part there is a part it shows were the orc's profile so that's why i was asking about it because there shoot is 5+ so it seems like its something to talk to your opponent about before you play if u plan on using it. def needs a faq though how often does GW does those?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:12 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If they haven't done one by now they probably never will.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:45 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok ill explain how to use beast of gorgoroth.
This beast is a monstrus mount in all their due respects, its like a mini mumakill which the exceptions there is no crew ropes to dismount. The beast profile for shooting is dicarted regardless since the model composition its: 1 beast + 1 rider + 9 orcs with armour and bow, should the rider be killed 1 bow guy replace it instead(placea counter marker next to it to remind how many orcs dies from it...

Crew on the beast count as being behind a barrier for shooting purposes(the platform count in the way) so you hav eot randomize just like a mumakil, shooting hitting beast or crew, then if its crew see if it hits the platform or the crew itself.

The beast can move full speed and crew still shoot ( we assume in here orcs hit on 5+ cause its mentioned on mumakill you can shoot provided you havent moved more than half the distance or climbed(assuming moving half distance means -1 to shooting value from the haradrim, means the haradrim hit on 4+ if they stay still on the howdah, so same apply here, the orcs are still they havent moved so no penalty on shooting phase)

The beast just count as 1 model for the purposes calculating warband and bow limit.

When fighting on foot, attackers just hit the beast, crew are ignored for all purposes.

The crew is free to shoot at other targets even if the beast is locked in combat, if you shoot at the same you got a risk hitting the beast itself

The fighting platform according to rule seems it counts as in the way for shooting purposes but got no defence nor wounds which means it actually better than the mumak´s howdah :P

Other than this the beast of gorgoroth its considered a monstrous mount(so gain all benefits from it) and its a monster, so it can use also the special attacks...

As profile compared to a mordor troll:
-3 fight value
-1 strength
+1 wound
-1 courage

Might not be as skilled as a troll but its definetely more worth taking for a couple things:

1st it slams targets with S6 hits with a rule more or so like the mahud camels, go charge sons of eorl and watch em die chop to pieces 1 by 1 on a 4+ or squishier targets like goblins on 3+ (its a free hit on the charge to every model until his charge range is complete) so by itself its a really great boon to get rid of targets before stuck into melee..
2nd you got 9 bows S2 that hit on 5+ regardless how far the beast has moved, so basically you got raw 27" bows (almost the same range as crossbows) this combination itself in a volley should be enough to have 50% changes to pop a D6+ model a turn, or 2 horses a turn. Its also extra bow to take account, the more you shoot the better the chances for you to be effective at doing something...
Combine beast + orc trackers in the same warband and you will actually get a fearsome warband with bows :P
if the actually beast dies your passengers are quite safer than those on a mumak as they suffer in that case 1 S3 every 2" fall, in here its a S6(which should wound on 3+ vs the crew) and actually instead wound on 4+... so it means out of 9 crew, 5 will likely to stay alive rather than 2/3 if was like the same rules of the mumakill crew falling...
All this means you can go suicidal if you wish let beast die in the midddle of a big hard to kill enemy battle line (12 tower guards or 12 dwarf khazad or 12 warriors with shield or nasty black uruk) and you will kill more models of that nasty warband with a dead beast than an alive beast.

A trick I´ve applied its this....
Beast charge an hard to kill battle line (defence 7 stuff, on 5+ to wound stuff it kills as it crashes) if it get stuck with 2 models at most, you got a good chance to win fight with 4A on the charge) then barge and dig yourself deep into the enemy line, then (without tellling your oponent) let him surround you and kill you, he just literally committed is hardest to kill warband to hold line to 1 beast of gorgoroth...and you will still have some free orcs around for the next turn to run suicidal and stuck in as many oponents you can, pinning key models in the warband...or those who survived the dead weight....
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wow I never saw the tactical advantage of this thing but now you have pointed all this out, it makes me want to really buy one and wreak havock on everything

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

the beast of gorgoroth its like a mini mumak :P

its an awesome model to deal with enemy captains, rohan cav, eomer knight of pellenor cause you got insane advantages from it...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:20 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

thank you i was was looking into the mumak and was looking at thier rule on shooting from it and was thinking then why cant my orc's do the same thing. and ya that wat i was planning on doing clearing in shooting and charging down my foes :) thank u for clearing that up. now to paint my beast pink