All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:12 pm

Post subject: Best Low Model Count Armies?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:46 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi guys,

Pretty much asking whats in the title. I am tossing up on what army I want to build. I would prefer something that is small in size (e.g >30 or even >20 models for a 500pt game). This is so I could take my time painting each model and it would be easier to transport.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the most effective army to meet these requirements? I don't mind playing good or evil.

Cheers.
 Post subject: Re: Best Low Model Count Armies?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:51 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well Ill answer more thoroughly either way, but would you prefer average heros with great troops, or great heros with average troops?

And what style do you prefer?

I know you said doesnt matter but there are plenty of answers for both.

Just answer that, Ill look through my books double check, and give you an answer. I honestly already have several ideas.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:06 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Gosh, not really sure between those two. I think great troops average heroes would be slightly preferred. Thanks for replying so quick.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:41 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

How about money? Are you looking to keep the budget really low or don't mind spending a bit for elite units?

And you seem to care about painting so do you mind painting monsters or wanna stay away from them?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:32 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have a moderate budget, mostly sourcing things from eBay not gw directly, so happy to spend more on a model if I think its worth it. I suppose the main thing I'm looking for is low model count that won't just be completely overwhelmed by moderate to large armies. Yes painting is fundamental, I'll normally spend days on one model even if it is just a grunt. I have no problems at all with painting monsters, obviously though something like a balrog is far too unwieldy for transport.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:43 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Isengard...
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:21 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

nzgolem wrote:
I have a moderate budget, mostly sourcing things from eBay not gw directly, so happy to spend more on a model if I think its worth it. I suppose the main thing I'm looking for is low model count that won't just be completely overwhelmed by moderate to large armies. Yes painting is fundamental, I'll normally spend days on one model even if it is just a grunt. I have no problems at all with painting monsters, obviously though something like a balrog is far too unwieldy for transport.

Ok, I have a few suggestions.
1-Harad- you can use a handful of half trolls. Easy to paint, and over 20 points each. And they tie every basic soldier in the game for fight. Totally worth their points. Then you can fill the army in with some decent heroes like Suladan or a wraith and use some other troops and you wont have to do too many.

2- Isengard as Galanur mentioned....maybe the best choice. You can get a bunch of cheap berserkers on ebay. Crossbowmen are there frequently too and are over 10 pts each. You can also add a troll for over 100 pts, or warg riders for almost 15 with upgrade each too.

3- You can always go Moria and use like 3-4 cave trolls and fill out the rest. Inexpensive, easy to get, and paint

4-All mounted Rohan/Dol Amroth. Dol amroth knights are almost 20 pts each with a lance and on horseback. As for Rohan, if you include a couple sons of Eorl with your riders, youll get to the point total quickly.

5- You can do Mordor, and some strong units like Black Guard although they are expensive, and troll type units.

6-High Elves are always expensive pts wise

7-Allying Elves.....you can take a handful of Mirkwood Rangers. Theyre good troopers and are almost 15 a piece and have 100% bows. Their heros are moderately priced....a lot around 90 pts and its an average total, yet strong fighters.

8-Dwarves! Durins folk. Iron Guard are over 14 pts and you can find them often on ebay and Khazad Guard are over 10 and those are inexpensive and tough fighters. Their heroes are around the same points as elves generally.

And too with all these forces trolls, Eagles, and Ents are your friends.

My suggestion for a strong force that is common and not overly expensive money wise is Isengard, Durins Folk, or Wood Elves.

It depends on your fighting style from there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:26 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I had the idea that it would be cool to do a 500pt Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn (Strider) army backed up by 9 warriors of the dead. This would essentially recreate the scene at Pelennor Fields. However unfortunately the warriors would require The King of the Dead to lead them, so the list wouldn't work. I don't really see how Isengard is that effective or that small. Obviously Saruman is elite, but the rest of the list isn't that effective, once you take into account the Uruk-hai's low courage, causing them to quickly flee if the force is broken, (almost guaranteed to happen). Additionally the warriors don't have amazing defense, so the staying power seems extremely low if Saruman were to die. Still I'm happy to look at any list based around them.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:44 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

nzgolem wrote:
I had the idea that it would be cool to do a 500pt Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn (Strider) army backed up by 9 warriors of the dead. This would essentially recreate the scene at Pelennor Fields. However unfortunately the warriors would require The King of the Dead to lead them, so the list wouldn't work. I don't really see how Isengard is that effective or that small. Obviously Saruman is elite, but the rest of the list isn't that effective, once you take into account the Uruk-hai's low courage, causing them to quickly flee if the force is broken, (almost guaranteed to happen). Additionally the warriors don't have amazing defense, so the staying power seems extremely low if Saruman were to die. Still I'm happy to look at any list based around them.

I went to my first large tournament ever with 750 pt Isengard. I went two and one and only lost to the person who had been to more national tournaments than anyone there and it was a minor defeat I lost in the last two turns.....Isengard is solid.

They have D6 when needed 8 inch Marauders or 10 inch wargs they have crossbows they have ferals berserkers and shaman. They have pikes and various heroes who are very good for their value. They have mini troops like orcs ruffians and men of Dunland if need be. They have everything. Even magic. And monsters!

Anyone who plays this game seriously will tell you they're one of the best armies in terms of versatility their only major flaw is like powerful all around heroes. Guys like the 80-120 pt range who can do combat and have survivability.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

High Elves. Low model count, great troops, the best heroes in the game.

Gil-Galad with shield
12 High Elf Warriors

Glorfindel, Lord of the West with Armour of Gondolin and Asfaloth or Elladan and Elrohir with heavy armour
8 High Elf Warriors with Elf Bows
1 High Elf Warrior
1 Kingsguard
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:51 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nzgolem I'll assume your Isengard comments are from a lack of knowledge of the game, please allow me to explain.
Firstly Uruks don't have low courage, courage 3 is the average courage in the game. And when your force is broken they will pass most of their courage tests, especially if they're near a hero.

Secondly defense 6 is pretty high for a standard troop, only Dwarves can top that.

Thirdly all Uruks are Strength 4, most armies have access to some S4 troops but having all of them that strong means you kill more easily than your opponent.

Fourth point, Uruks have access to fury, and this is literally the most terrifying use of it in the game.

And as a final point, none of their heroes are bad, they're all "mid-ranged" like your earlier post asked for. Vrasku is particularly nasty :)

All that being said, if you don't like the army don't play them, I just didnt want you to want to play them but pass on them solely because you underrated their units

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:14 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The Undying on fellbeast
The Knight of Umbar on fellbeast
Witchking 3/2/3 on fellbeast

Low model count (unbreakable), fast, magic and bpa.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:15 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

20 Rangers of the North, go.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:25 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I love how so many suggestions aren't cheap to purchase and that's what the OP asked for.
3 fell beasts are $180 USD.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

he asked for cheap and not hard to package guys... read what he wants and dont post of random plz.. nazguls on feelbeasts are as equal if not harder to transport than the balrog and he already mentioned its hard to get to move a balrog around much less 3 fellbeasts..

JamesR complemented what I said about isengard.... what in paper you actually need to get a 500pts isengard army going?

2x uruk hai captain with heavy armour and shield
1 named uruk captain (or 2 named heroes and 1 captain)
20 warriors box (50/50)
4 berserkers
5 crossbows

you dont have to fantasize much more than this and its a solid list right off the hat...

if you want a more light armoured uruk list following amon hen list types...

lurtz
10 uruk scouts
2 feral uruks (or berserkers)

Mauhur
10 scouts
2 feral uruks (or berserkers)

vrasku
7 uruk scouts
5 crossbows

I dont exactly recall the points of the list, but in sum you need (if you can afford the 24x man box the better, if not)

blister of mauhur
blister of Vrasku
blister of lurtz
3x boxes of uruk scouts
2 blisters of feral uruks (or berserkers)
2 blisters of uruk crossbows
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

my 500 point isengard is thins:

Captain, heavy armour, shield
10 uruks (5 pike, 5 shield)
shaman
10 uruks (5 pike, 5 shield)
Vrasku
5 Berserkers
5 Uruks with crossbows

Bang on 500 points. 20 uruk warriors, a captain and shaman should be VERY cheap to purchase on ebay. I got my berserkers and crossbows on ebay for very cheap too, they just take a little more looking.

On top of that, it's easy to paint, comes to just 33 models and looks great on the table. If you REALLY wanna have a lower number of troops, you could trim the numbers by adding a banner, changing a hero to Thrydan Wolfsbane, or even taking a troll (would not reccomend saruman as you will not get enough troops)

Everything is at least s4, even your shooting, meaning you will wound D6 armies (minas tirith, high elves, morannon orcs, other isengard etc.) on a 5+. In my oppinion they are one of the easiest armies to pick up and play in the game. Do not enderestimate!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:40 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

3 fellbeasts are 110 pound and the on foot ringwraiths are cheap on ebay. And they aren't difficult to transports.
By the way it seems like corssbows (and as everybody knows ferals) are oop?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Only metal Crossbows are oop

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Frêrin wrote:
3 fellbeasts are 110 pound and the on foot ringwraiths are cheap on ebay. And they aren't difficult to transports.
By the way it seems like corssbows (and as everybody knows ferals) are oop?

He said Balrog and such for him are dificult to transport, read what he said on 1st post, fellbeasts are way more fragile than a balrog hence why I said it was hard for him...
instead of quoting answers to what I say, look at 1st post to know im talking about..

anyway if you wanna assemble an isengard army and use models as it is on the boxes I leave you this suggestion, minimal waste gonna be 3 uruk crossbows, ugluk and 1 banner(which you can adjust later on)

Warband 1
Uruk hai captain with heavy armour and shield
5 white hand uruk hai warriors with shield
5 white hand uruk hai warriors with pike
2 white hand uruk hai berserkers

Warband 2
Mauhur
4 white hand uruk hai scouts with shield
4 white hand uruk hai scouts
4 white hand uruk hai scouts with orc bow

Warband 3
Vrasku
5 white hand uruk hai with crossbows
2 white hand uruk hai berserkers

total: 499pts

For this you need

1 blister of uruk hai captains 8.2£
1 blister uruk hai berserkers(4x) 16£
1 white hand warriors box(10x) 15£
1 White hand uruk scouts (10x) 15£
1 Blister Vrasku/ugluk 12.5£
1 blister Mauhur 10£
2 Blisters of uruk hai crossbows(8x) 32£

total: 108.7£
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:40 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

^and that's assuming you don't find deals on eBay, which with Uruks will be easy

MiniWargaming