All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:02 pm

Post subject: Fiefdom woes...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:59 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Been looking over the Fiefdom list... noticed a few problems (doubt I am the first!)... it looks set up to support other list as allied warbands rather than a force in itself due to the limited hero choices to lead warbands... the only generic captain is from Dol Amroth...

The Dead
You don't seem able to create an 'Army' of the dead as there's only the King of the Dead to lead them... I can see how you would have to use DA caps to lead extra warbands but that doesnt feel right... I guess you could proxy a dead warrior model for 'the look'... but it still feels a little half done...

Any thoughts on a stat line and points cost for a Captain of the Dead?

Clansmen of Lamedon
Similar Issue to the dead, no generic captain... only Angbor to lead them...

Lossarnach
Similar again only Forlong to lead them... but they at least wouldnt look out of place with DA Captains...

Blackroot vale
Double problem - no captains, AND Bow limit to consider... I thought about simply including a captain based on Damrod, but that still leaves bow limit problem...

Any thoughts on this - if its already be discussed, please advise link to discussion thread.

Cheers
Scott

Post subject: Re: Fiefdom woes...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:08 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Army of the dead profiles are being dicussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29613

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You are right about the topic being discussed before. I have seen it quite a few times. There are also many people who have added to this list of fiefdoms to extend it to include places like lebinnin, tolfolos, pinath gelin etc.

Regarding the current ones I agree they should all hav a generic captain for each army.

Army of the dead
There is a topic put up recently expanding this with house rules.
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29613

Clansman of lamedon
Need a captain model

Lossarnach
Need a Captain model

Blackroot vale
They do have a leader Duinhir (pg 26 kingdoms of men book)
It would be nice if there were warriors of the vale also to control the bow limit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:45 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You nailed it in your first post. None of the fiefdoms, besides DA are designed to be fielded as a full force. In the LOTR books these are small towns/cities with very limited fighting strength and GW has stayed true to that (one of the few things they've done really well IMO). I like limiting groups like these and the woses to keep it true to fluff over game mechanics.

Even if you solve the "hero problems" you have 1 troop type for each (again aside from DA) except for the AOTD who has a whopping two.

All that aside if you're playing friendly games just use a generic captain of men profile and outfit him accordingly for each fiefdom.

4/4+ 4 4 2 2 4 2/1/1 (40 points)

Wargear
armor 5pts
heavy armor 10 pts
shield 5pts
bow 5pts
spear 5pts
Horse 10pts
armored horse 15pts

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:36 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Except army of the dead has its own feel to it. If you are fielding an army, with dead warriors in it it feels wrong be using a Dol Amroth captain to lead them. Its like leading a bunch of elves with a orc captain it has the very opposite end of the spectrum of theme to it.

Army of the dead need a captain so you can play a themed army. Of course you can always house rule it and convert a dead captain from a metal warrior or plastic.

The interesting part of an fiefdoms army is you take your warriors from all the different fiefs instead of one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:51 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

True but AOTD appear in two fights in the movies and nothing in the books. So a limitation on them is fine IMO because they played almost no part in LOTR.
And my point wasn't "throw a DA captain in" it was that you will be limited if you run pure Warbands which is a good thing IMO.
But I do think you're overly concerned about who is leading the Warband
if you are playing a mixed fiefdoms army then use the DA captains to get your other fiefdoms units on the table and then ignore who brought them there. Warband leaders don't impact the game beyond that.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:21 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I think the fix for AotD is simply to allow Aragorn to lead a warband of them as well. Another alternative is to allow warbands without a Captain to lead them. The precedent has been set for this with the Mirkwood lists in the DoS book.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:35 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It actually reflects the books rather nice I think, with respect to everyone but the dead. The only fief that was consider a power on its own account was Dol Amroth while the other fiefs just provided support to Minus Tirith when needed. So any fiefdom force will have to be centered on the Dol Amroth while the other heroes bring war bands of support troops i.e. skirmishers from Lamadon, archers from Morthond, second rank fights from Lossanach.

As for the dead you have to keep in mind that before the war band rules the dead were a viable army to at least some extent and they are really the only once who got had thematically by the change. House rules could fix the dead right up though without the need to add new stat lines, just have Halbarad, the twins and the three hunters be able to lead dead and you'd be able to bring more troops than you could reasonably field.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Angbor can thematically lead warriors of the dead and he the king and 24 Warriors are already about 600. Then you add Aragorn, Halbarad, Legolas, Gimli, Elladan and Elrohir and other Grey Company models.