All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 pm

Post subject: Decisions Decisions...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:10 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi all, I have decided that for the next tournament on the GBHL schedule that I will be using a very fun little army at 750pts.
The decision to use the following is based on how Southern Dunedain and myself are a handful of points apart in the league and seeing how he's the host of this next one, I reckon its unsporting of me to ruin our race to the finish by having an extra tourney to do well in.

My list is...

Gandalf the grey (Leader)
Aragorn - Strider, bow
Boromir of Gondor
Legolas
Gimli, Son of Gloin
Frodo
Samwise Gamgee
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Peregrin Took

I've got 5 pts left so the question is? Who gets the armour, Aragorn or Legolas lol
 Post subject: Re: Decisions Decisions...
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:32 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Aragorn IMO. He will probably be seeing more h2h combat

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I get the fluff....but I would drop merry and pippin in favour of more gear.

Or at least drop the bow off strider and use that + the 5 points to give legolas an elven cloak.

If you would consider it, I understand if you don't...but why not drop all the hobbits and upgrade boromir to captain of the white tower with the same gear? Then use the remaining points for gear on the rest of the fellowship. That would still keep the theme, but would be considerably less weak....

Anyway, those are a few thoughts to consider.....

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I was also going to suggest dropping the Hobbits...but instead of using their points strictly for gear and upgrades, instead I'd suggest that you could add in either Arwen or perhaps Haldir, and then you'd still stay within theme somewhat at least....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Pfft! It's no fellowship without the hobbits! I would give the armour to Aragorn, Leggy won't see the same amount of combat.

Although in all seriousness, it'd be hella more competative sans hobbits, but them where is the fun in that?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:58 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

You can't ally in Haldir... Gandalf the Grey did not get out of Moria!!!

@Gondorian Captain

:frodo: :sam: :merry: :pippin: :gandalf: :aragorn: :boromir :legolas: :gimli:

I addore your theme... stick with it and give the amour to Aragorn... you and your opponent will love your games

If you really wanna get rid of the hobbits, try to get Anduril in... that would still be themed...by the book

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:21 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lol thanks for all the comments.

I do realise that this is not a competitive army, like I said above the idea is to take something fun and at 750 I'll be impressed if I can win a single game.

Looks like aragorn gets the armour then. Just find it a pity that I can't fit in either sting or the mithril coat at this level.

I'm a theme player at heart so it wouldn't feel right without the hobbits. Other options are to take the fellowship after they leave Lothlorien giving them all elven cloaks but losing Gandalf. I don't think this would be that much more effective though as Gandalf's spells do add a lot, especially with the ability to give Boromir extra will points.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:05 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If memory serves me right, a nice fully equipped fellowship is 900pts. So playing with all the characters at 750pts means you're losing a lot of gear. Considering the circumstances and what you're going for just play it out and have fun, I can't offer any more than I've already said.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:40 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I took exactly this to the last East Grinstead tournament.

It was great fun, but, unsurprisingly, I came last...

The only slight tweak that I made to your list was to not take Aragorn's bow and give both Legolas and Aragorn armour, as I thought it would be more beneficial since Aragorn will mostly be needed for swooping in to protect the hobbits!

Looking forward to seeing it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well I decided on the bow as I reckoned that having an extra chance to inflict the odd wound before it all went to hell in combat would be beneficial.

Lol how did you find using them overall? Any tips on getting the most from them ;)
Thus far all I can really think of is to make sure Aragorn is making the most of his free might, that Gandalf gets as much magic in as possible while Boromir and Gimli focus on doing the initial damage.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:20 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I'd actually say take Aragorn's bow. You'd have decent potential as an archery line while the enemy comes to you if you line up Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli and the Hobbits. Heck even Gandalf can contribute at range. With Boromir waiting on the wings to charge in

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:52 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

jumping on the "no bow" train. you'll want to close the gap between your lines as fast as possible, giving Aragorn the bow will slow him down or hold him back entirely. As your main hurt-bringer, he needs to get in there fast or the rest of the company will be swamped. Legolas offers plenty of bow support for the most important things anyway.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

JamesR wrote:
I'd actually say take Aragorn's bow. You'd have decent potential as an archery line while the enemy comes to you if you line up Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli and the Hobbits. Heck even Gandalf can contribute at range. With Boromir waiting on the wings to charge in

This is exactly what I think. And don't forget Aragorn's free might can be handy in the shoot phase.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:36 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Isilduhrr wrote:
jumping on the "no bow" train. you'll want to close the gap between your lines as fast as possible, giving Aragorn the bow will slow him down or hold him back entirely. As your main hurt-bringer, he needs to get in there fast or the rest of the company will be swamped. Legolas offers plenty of bow support for the most important things anyway.

Why would you want to close quickly against a numerically superior force? That's suicide. The best strategy with the complete fellowship is to use terrain to funnel enemies and to pick your fights. Creating a "firing line" to thin as many enemies as you can before the melee begins is your best bet of conquering the larger force

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:44 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I am actually impressed this very slight decision has led to so much discussion :)

It seems to be which is worth more? An additional S2 bow shot or lowering the chances of S3 models from wounding Aragorn (S2 and 4 remain unaffected and 5 is fairly rare to see though not impossible)

Fluff wise I am thinking bow as I love the opening to the Balin's tomb scene.
Competitive wise I'm not sure, the armour should help and will make it less tempting to spend Aragorn's free might on shooting when he should probably be using it to heroic march the fellowship each turn.

The missions are:
Wargonation (special mission where wargs enter the board, each kill is worth a vp)
Domination
Take and Hold
Lords of Battle (fellowship surprisingly weak at this I think, its all the fate they can give away)
To the death (no banner :(...:P)

Any thoughts on making the most of them in these games?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Well tournament is over and I had a lot of fun with the fellowship. If anyone is looking for something a little bit different to use I'd definitely recommend giving it a go. I am pretty happy as I managed to get a win with them too, and some of the games lost were very close as well :)

I went for armour on legolas in the end instead of a bow for Aragorn. The increased defence didn't matter too much in the end, I think it slowed down a couple of wounds on him over the day. More importantly though leaving Aragorn without his bow focuses him on using his free might to move/march and keep the fellowship where they need to be. I think the bow can be a good call as long as your disciplined enough to use it but not to hold Aragorn back when he's needed elsewhere.