All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:58 am

Post subject: Evil Cavalry
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:53 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Good evening everyone. Everybody knows about good cavalry, riders 'n all but how about the evil cavalry? Which are the best? For instance:
-Are simple Wargs better than Warg Riders as far as points value is concerned?
-About Morgul Knights, are they as indominable as they show?
-Can trolls or mumaks/other monsters be considered anti-cavalry?
-What about evil mounted heroes? Is Sharku any good?
-How important is cavalry for evil factions and how do you play cavalry in your evil forces?

Post subject: Re: Evil Cavalry
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:06 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Warg riders-they are decent for their points and str 4 is really good for cavalry, so yes they come handy in a mordor army but i would not suggest them to an isengard army.

wild wargs-they are better than warg riders when it comes to their points but only moria army list has them (if i am not mistaken) and yes it is a must for their army in my opinion

Haradrim raiders-They are handy for their cost for low point matches but serpent riders take the cake here, always pick them over hte raiders unless you want a cheap decoy cavalry.

Morgul knights-Yes they live for their reputation, amazing cavalry and their terror makes them all unique and gives them a chance to charge even when you dont have priority

Kataphrakts-They are not the best but still good to have as cavalry option and varaity to your army, always upgrade them to black dragons.

All monsters/monstrus mounts are anti cavalry but khandish chariot beeing the cheapest, a khandish chieftain/king on chariot can make useless an entrire warband of enemy cavalry.

In conclusion, it is not so much the cavalry you use but HOW you use it along with the rest of your army, all times are good when used right :)

Armies:Fiefdoms, Eastern Kingdoms
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:27 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Haradrim cavalry is a great addition to harad. They make up for the lightly armored warriors.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:40 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks a lot for your answers :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I swear by hunter orcs on fell wargs in my hunter orc army. They are darn useful for flanking and grabbing objectives. Plus the fell sight rule means no-one, not even those pesky elven cloak wearers, are safe. I wouldnt go with wild wargs/ fell wargs on their own unless there is no other choice. They are basically a faster infantry model. If they got cav bonuses then yes they'd be amazing.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Not sure if it has been stated yet, but loose wargs are NOT cavalry!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

indeed :( i was mistaken to that, never player wtih moria or against it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If wild wargs are not cavalry then are they concidered beasts?
Also can somenone comment on Sharku? Is he worth his points?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They are fast infantry models. No other special rules hence why they don't get taken that often. Can't help you with sharku, never used him.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:51 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hello again m8.

People gave you nice advice, I will explain things too, from my point of view.

-Warg Riders: Cheap, fast, S4 and in fact 2 models in one, if your warg passes the courage test when its rider dies. I will doubt with halauas' opinion for using em in Isengard. Isengard offers you a superb option named Sharku, but I will give details later.

-Wargs(no they don't have monster entry): Moria's only cheap solution for speed. You can still keep high numbers if you use em instead of spiders or other monsters. If playing moria you need 100000% speed. I think they can't have the knockdown rule, but you will not attack with them like having heavy cavalry. You need em to reach objectives, or for anticavalry purposes. If enemy's cavalry charge you you need same base size to avoid knockdowns etc. Don't think about trolls as anti-cavalry. Having 1 or 2 trolls wont help defendng a 6+ enemy's cavalry charge. You need numbers. And wargs are cheap and effective.
Tip: in a cavalry warband never use more than 6 mounted models, cause the warband wont have maneurability. Thing like what Alexander the Great did XD

-Sharku: Yes sir! He is cheap and has 3 Might. You need might for cavalry, cause there are cases that you need heroic action to charge again, or avoid an enemy's flank attempt. Although you may have troumble finding that model.. Otherwise convert a warg captain. No more interesting cavlary choices for the evil side. (maybe suladan and some easterlings too)

-Haradrim raiders/serpent guard: I like em but I dont have em... I ve seen them making great work. Especially serpent guard mounted. If you find em just take em, dont even think of it.

-Morgul knights: they are not as good as they seem cause they are expensive while havin poor statline. They are a bit tricky to use cause you must always take advantage of their fear, so if you use em be careful.

-Kataphrakts: nerfed a bit imo. Your only solution if you play only easterling armies. Only working if you use em with a superhero easterling captain.

- Mumak: just wonna add that if you use one, the rest of your army must be on the mumak or riding a horse. otherwise you gonna have prob with the beast..

As a conclusion, yeah practise with your cavalry, it is a powerful tool that can easily betray you. Thing very well before moving those models and they will never dissapoint you :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks m8! This was really helpfull :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Iluminatos13 wrote:
Good evening everyone. Everybody knows about good cavalry, riders 'n all but how about the evil cavalry? Which are the best? For instance:
1-Are simple Wargs better than Warg Riders as far as points value is concerned?
2-About Morgul Knights, are they as indominable as they show?
3-Can trolls or mumaks/other monsters be considered anti-cavalry?
4-What about evil mounted heroes? Is Sharku any good?
5-How important is cavalry for evil factions and how do you play cavalry in your evil forces?

1-No. Theyre seperate. Warg riders are pretty decent for their points. Two attacks on the charge so 4 strength four hits to wound if you win the fight is good....
2-They are over costed and pointless. I took them down with Isengard Scouts the only time I ever played them and that was against a good opponent. When I have used them, theyve failed me.
3-YES. Trolls can win a fight, and throw them through other cavalry, knocking them all off their horses. Furthermore, they always have 3 attacks even when cavalry get their charge bonuses.

The Mumak, is anti everything.
4-Yes he is. And mounting heros is always a good idea.
5-It depends on the army.....having mounted Harad is great-raiders and serpents, and even mahud in some armies, though they are expensive. Isengard no. Moria no. Mordor...yeah I guess some wargs thrown in for good measure but no all mounted forces that for sure.

halauas wrote:
Morgul knights-Yes they live for their reputation, amazing cavalry and their terror makes them all unique and gives them a chance to charge even when you dont have priority
:)

If youre playing the right elven army or Dwarfs, the Morgul Knights are dead. Their terror means nothing, or theyll be shot off their horses before they do much. If you play against Thranduil, theyre worthless.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:21 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Including at least some cavalry is generally a good idea, as speed can be an important factor in many games. Fast models can leave the table quickly (Reconnoitre), arrive at the objective before others get there (Hold Ground) or make a run for objectives late in the game (Domination). Fast warbands can also catch up with the rest of your army more easily (all scenarios, but especially important in Hold Ground).
When you take Morgul Knights, be sure to have them led by a Ringwraith, if possible the Dark Marshal. -1 Courage for enemy models nearby will protect your expensive cavalry from being (counter-)charged, and the latter's banner effect also helps out a great deal.

As for other cavalry, I've just started getting some experience with an all-mounted Harad force (about 1/4th Serpent Riders and as many bows as fit in). Mounted archers (Trackers, Khandish, Haradrim Raiders) are pretty awesome, the movement penalty to shooting is annoying, but not that important if you can get many rounds of shooting off by simply running away as quickly as the enemy tries to catch up with you. Raiders can of course be equipped with warspears (lances) at the same time, so are able to pack a more than decent punch in melee too. Serpent Riders are great, with that important F4 to win combats (which even on the charge is hardly guaranteed), while poisoned lances are able to finish off most things. Had one kill Faramir in a single turn last game... (granted, a Heroic Striking Suladân on foot in the same combat helped win the duel, but the Rider then proceeded to actually kill the Gondorian all by himself, rolling 3 5's and a 1, which was then re-rolled to become a 6!)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:39 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Quote:
If youre playing the right elven army or Dwarfs, the Morgul Knights are dead. Their terror means nothing, or theyll be shot off their horses before they do much. If you play against Thranduil, theyre worthless.

I will not agree to this completely, yes elves are a pain for heavy cavalry as they can easily shoot down horses, even armored + their high courage makes the morgul knights terror loose most of its value.

However as mentioned above take a nazgul leading your morgul knights for the -1 courage. Now terror starts to get more effective.
Morgul knights are heavy cavlary, so in cases of rohan/gondor their horses are killed on a 6 by bows, terror gives them a good chance of counter charging and have lances, lances! :D witch are dwarf killers.
For last you need cavalry to have as high fight as possible, so in the case of mordor warg riders could be good in numbers but morgul knights are a lot better for their points.
Heavy cavalry is like a gamble, it can ruin your own game on a single mistake but it can also save you big time, depends on your opponent, your dice and decision of the moment during the game.
I play Fiefdoms all the time and knights of dol amroth are almost same profile as morgul knights with different special rules, they never let me down tho.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

halauas wrote:
Quote:

I will not agree to this completely, yes elves are a pain for heavy cavalry as they can easily shoot down horses, even armored + their high courage makes the morgul knights terror loose most of its value.

However as mentioned above take a nazgul leading your morgul knights for the -1 courage. Now terror starts to get more effective.
Morgul knights are heavy cavlary, so in cases of rohan/gondor their horses are killed on a 6 by bows, terror gives them a good chance of counter charging and have lances, lances! :D witch are dwarf killers.
For last you need cavalry to have as high fight as possible, so in the case of mordor warg riders could be good in numbers but morgul knights are a lot better for their points.
Heavy cavalry is like a gamble, it can ruin your own game on a single mistake but it can also save you big time, depends on your opponent, your dice and decision of the moment during the game.
I play Fiefdoms all the time and knights of dol amroth are almost same profile as morgul knights with different special rules, they never let me down tho.

1. The Nazgul thing helps, but the fact of the matter is lets say you even use the Shadow lord......thats a warband and 5 knights for 220 points...if hes on horse, 230 minimum. Thats way too much of a points sink unless youre playing 850+ They'll never be worth their points back. Also think about this....the whole idea is to get the charge off......if you need to call a heroic to counter the priority win, youre wasting some of a Nazguls usually small amount of might....when his might is gone, its easier to surround and decimate that unit.
2- Knights of DA I would have more faith in especially with Imrahil.....that rule is much better than terror imo. Ive had a lot more trouble against them than morguls.

Basically.....Im speaking from personal perspective....this is something we'd never agree on.

Every time I see someone take morgul knights, Im thinking hell yes easy point sink. If Im going to play good, its going to be one of the following armies-Erebor Dwarves, Mirkwood/Wood Elves, a combination of those two, or Rohan or possibly Rohan mixed with something. Or a battle of the five armies, army.

I dont use Gondor or Rohan much at all.

Mainly Elves and Dwarves. I use Thranduil, and a lot of Mirkwood Rangers. Even if you get into contact with me, were rolling 2 dice to 2 dice. And youre going to likely have to take a terror test. Even if you dont, I win on a tie roll by fight, and Ill have more foot soldiers there. More often than not also, Beorn is waiting near by and during deployment Id probably put a warband of Thranduil and Rangers, and Beorn across from your knights.

If I had even just dwarves, theyre gonna be D 7 with spear support and shielding when you charge. Maybe a banner too. I run them like that and often have 4 attacks per model. Furthemore, Ill have Thorin or someone near by. I always run these armies where I have two heros near each other for support. If you use magic to trap thorin(if he doesnt resist) Ill have a shield wall of tough to kill troops, Beorn near by, and God forbid you come close enough to Thranduil hes going to Natures wrath. If by some means you resist it, the next turn, I have way too much might for you to continue to do well. You might kill a handful of my guys the first turn, but next turn youre counter charged unless you blow a ton of might. If you do, youre going to die. Almost your whole warband within a few turns.

As for Rohan and Gondor....like I said I dont use Rohan much and if I had Gondor I would ONLY ever take Boromir and he'd might you until your Knights were trapped and annihilated.

Sure rolls might go bad....i might call heroics and lose.....but with an army like yours with all those points tied up in the Knights and the lack of might because of a wraith, eventually Id win the might battle and the Knights would die, without killing their worth in points.

I imagine every tactic in this game as if I was playing against and elite played. And if you use Morgul Knights against even an above average player, theyre going to figure it out. Theyre a one trick pony.....everyone knows how theyre supposed to work.

IDK why the Dwarf player wouldnt counter charge you with might to at the very least burn yours. Also, piercing strike would murder those knights. The new strikes make heavy armor useless unless you cant win the fight.

At 750 a basic list by me if I knew I was playing evil would be:

Beorn
Thranduil
10 Mirkwood Rangers
Thorin
6 Erebor with axe and shield
6 Erebor with spear 1 with banner
Alfrid 6 laketown spearmen.

10 units with multi attacks, magic, a huge leader in Thorin, plenty of might, 12 spear supports, a banner, and a gigantic bear to be a pain in everyones side.

I used that army and it held Sauron and a Ringwraith at bay. And I only used the Dwarves, Thranduil, Alfrid and the laketown guys. Throw in some Rangers to shoot it up a bit first or have Legolas to auto hit the wraith and youre talking trouble. Not to mention Beorn. I mean.....IDK what the rest of your army would be like.....But I think the Rangers and Beorn alone could handle most of the rest of that army themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

:gandalf: Iluminatos13, I'll throw in my two cents worth:

I don't think anybody has mentioned anything about warg marauders, or the orc tracker.

The marauder is only available w/ Moria and cost 35 points. This unit provides a good option for a mobile shooting platform, with two shots and a 10" base movement but with a shoot value of 5+ and a shoot strength of 2 they don't have very much "take down" ability. Add in it's terror ablity and they make a viable option, IMHO.
Another option is the orc tracker; available w/ an Angmar force for 11 points ( 5 + 6 for warg option). This model will provide a slightly better shooting value of 3+ but still only strength 2. Compare this to the warg rider w/ orc bow (13 points ) but w/ a shoot value of 5+.
Using your calvery to effect will depend upon the objective of your match but more importantly: what your opponent is fielding. Mr. Brown Ring's above army list is a good example of what you should theorize playing against. Once you learn to defeat it in ALL OF THE SCENARIOS then you will have your answers. First Ager Smith, signing off- :gandalf:

ps. Sun Tzu, ch.3 "know your ememy and know yourself" yadda, yadda, yadda
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Or for example going back to what I was saying earlier....if you play against Isengard for example, at 750 pts, I have 18 x-bow bolts per round.....at 4+ to hit, and 5+ to wound on the Morguls, that means realistically if they get in range thats at least 3 hits on the average roll.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:48 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
The Mumak, is anti everything.

Ι laughed so hard at this one :rofl:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:34 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

True though. Did you read his whole profile? Lol. He does Strength 9 hits....3 I think just by walking past people.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Then there is the Great Beast of Gorgoroth...