All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

Post subject: Your best 500pt force?!?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:56 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've been looking at 500pt battles and there are so many forces to try and take and it got me thinking, what is the best 500pt list in your opinion. For context there would be say a tournament with one of each of the six scenarios in the lotr sourcebooks, what list would you take to try and win and how would you play it? (justification for models and a plan of action would be fantastic :-D )
 Post subject: Re: Your best 500pt force?!?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That's a huge field. The best 500 Point team from any army. I'd have to really think about it

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:00 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

it is as much about the player as it is about the army. There is plenty of skill involved and even the 'worst' army can win when played well.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:05 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

re: James R - Yeah it's quite a puzzle isn't it, there's loads of choice and i'm struggling to narrow down my choices too.

re: Southern Dunedain - As ever yes, player skill always comes into question but what would be the list you would take, I guess it would be easier to try and discount other players skill and pick the list that you would be most confident in playing.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'd say search for "500" in amryhelp and you'll find many armies, which are written to be the best. The only other option would be tournament's winners post their list here.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Frêrin wrote:
I'd say search for "500" in amryhelp and you'll find many armies, which are written to be the best. The only other option would be tournament's winners post their list here.

Frêrin, I understand your point a lot of these lists are people trying new things and I'm interested in what people would feel most confident in playing. As a side note I do thoroughly enjoy reading all the army lists put together on here.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I don't think you understood what I was saying lol I'm saying that's like throwing a stone into the ocean is how broad your topic is. I have lots of 500 Point lists I run for different teams, all of which are superb

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

JamesR wrote:
I don't think you understood what I was saying lol I'm saying that's like throwing a stone into the ocean is how broad your topic is. I have lots of 500 Point lists I run for different teams, all of which are superb

Aah I see, well I apologise I obviously didn't consider all the angles before asking the question. But does that mean you don't have a favourite list of those to run, not one you've run more than any of the others, one with the most victories?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:12 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

My favorite is whomever I feel like lol. I try and change things up to keep it from getting Dull. My greatest success is with my Dwarves. Somewhere around 32-0, I'm currently running Harad primarily which I lost my first ever game of SBG being outnumbered 2-1 so I guess technically they're my least successful lol

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:15 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Haha okay I guess you must have a fair few armies in your collection then? and 32-0 is amazing!?!? Don't suppose you'd have that list to hand or maybe a few tips for a fellow dwarf player :P
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:27 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Gshaw wrote:
Haha okay I guess you must have a fair few armies in your Colection then? and 32-0 is amazing!?!? Don't suppose you'd have that list to hand or maybe a few tips for a fellow dwarf player :P

I do have several. I've been collecting and playing the gave since it's initial release back around 2001.

I do have some tips but I will warn you that my record would be far worse in a GBHL style tourney. I've played something like 20 different ppl but in a tourney you won't win every game every time (probably).

But I'll PM you some stuff in a bit, but the best advice I can give is Sun Tzu. "Know your enemy and know yourself. And in 1000 battles you will never be in danger. "
So study your army, study everyone else's even better and memorize the odds of strength v defense wounding so you can maximize your effectiveness.

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:33 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

JamesR wrote:
Gshaw wrote:
Haha okay I guess you must have a fair few armies in your Colection then? and 32-0 is amazing!?!? Don't suppose you'd have that list to hand or maybe a few tips for a fellow dwarf player :P

I do have several. I've been collecting and playing the gave since it's initial release back around 2001.

I do have some tips but I will warn you that my record would be far worse in a GBHL style tourney. I've played something like 20 different ppl but in a tourney you won't win every game every time (probably).

But I'll PM you some stuff in a bit, but the best advice I can give is Sun Tzu. "Know your enemy and know yourself. And in 1000 battles you will never be in danger. "
So study your army, study everyone else's even better and memorize the odds of strength v defense wounding so you can maximize your effectiveness.

Wow that's a long time collecting! I guess you can't win them all but still 32-0 is still pretty impressive even if not in a tournament scene. Thanks a million and I might have to push for some 1000pt battles among my friendship group :twisted: I'll be sure to start looking more in depth at the games mechanics, just as soon as exams are over... :sad:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

No, not "1000pt battles". just 1000 different battles. it's part of the quote. ;)

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Isilduhrr wrote:
No, not "1000pt battles". just 1000 different battles. it's part of the quote. ;)

Oh of course, sorry i think i'm on one of those slow days :?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:28 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Idk about best but an always competitive 500 pt army will be 3 hunter or captains 3 war bands of hunter orcs and various weapon add one. 36 units 9 might at 500 pts.

You have a lot of troops who can kill. The idea is kill a lot of them to secure/complete objectives and if they're a small force break them quickly, medium they can break you as long as you control objectives, and if its a large force even if you probably have better killing power and can still out dice them lol.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My 'Best' Army at 500pts for this year (so far) has been my all mounted Rohan cavalry force.

Eomer, knight of the Pelanor
Erkenbrand
4 Rohan royal guards with throwing spears
3 Outriders
3 Redsheilds with throwing spears
7 Redshields
One rider of rohan with banner

Out of all of the tournaments I have been to this year it has got me the most wins, was also really fun and flexible able to adapt to a number of oppoents (including fighting woses on foot in a forest!)

I'd say that my next best are my armoured Uruk-hai, they haven't done so well this year but my 600pt list helped get me second place at a tourney last year :)

I have tried to use a different list at every tourney so far this year. With any luck I'll get a few more onto the field and see if another faction can overtake my rohan in victories :)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:49 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

my best list this year is my hunter orc mordor list. 5th/20 at Mansfield in Feb.

Fimbul on warg
2 mtd hunter orcs
10 hunter orcs (2/ 2H weapon)

Narzug on warg
2 mtd hunter orcs
10 hunter orcs (8w/ bow)

Mordor Orc Shaman
6 Morannons w/ Shield
6 Morannons w/ spear.

@LotBR: Someone took a list very similar to that at Stockport and got smashed. Low defence, low courage and appalling FV. Also your list would only have 6 might as hunter orc captains have 2 each.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:12 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Any of the top 10 armies from stockport should be contenders really.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

so by that theory, with 2 of the top 10 armies fielding Gwahir and 2 eagles they are the most effective and broken warband in the game :p Although still not as good as lake town

or only tactical geniuses use them :D
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for all the responses guys, these are some really cool lists!