All times are UTC

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:48 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Late to the party here :) but I agree with everyone else about the drum at 500 points. You really need max numbers with goblins as you will lose every tied fight roll, so you need to bring more dice into the equation. Max at 500 points is 50 models. At 501-1000 points, max is 75 models. With 2 trolls you might be okay, just make sure they get into the fighting and don't get shot up.

Jamros wrote:
Faramir w/Heavy Armor and Horse, 80 points
Captain of Gondor w/Shield, 55 pts
WoMT, (x27, banner, shield, shield and spear, or bow), 248 pts
KoMT, (x 7, banner), 116
Total: 499 points, 36 models

My Knights of Minas Tirith minis are modeled with shields, but they do not have an option for them in the Rules Manuel I have (MoM). For that reason, based on WYSIWYG, there may be a points discrepancy.

Knights do get a shield option in the Gondor in Flames sourcebook, so they're each worth 14 points each with shields. (All sourcebooks are more recent than the rules, so take precedence.)

IMHO you only need one banner, if any, and 6 KoMT are probably enough. This will let you boost your model count into the 40+ range either with normal WoMT or some elites like Citadel Guard or GoFC.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

forget the troll chains..... i rarely ever see them worth it.... its better getting 2 more goblins to 'bodyguard' your heros

also, you really should have another captian, because if durburz is killed, then your pretty much doomed if you get broken. (and any smart enemy will do their best to do this)
but it still can work if he is protected well.
dont expect to do well even if we give you a good list, its up to you to know how to use it well. so after you have played a few games and are no longer a total noob, then you should really use this website for advice and to help see problems etc
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:40 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The moria list looks good but I'd swap the troll chains for another two prowlers (which I'm guessing you have as they come in blisters of 3) but I can't find anything else to criticise in that army. (darn, lol)

In the Gondor list I would probably swap out the warriors with bows for rangers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Once I get the minis, I'm going to try to play with the final Moria list as is, and see how it works. One of the main reasons I've added the troll chains is to play by wysiwyg; the troll models all come with chains pre-sculpted. The list seems okay to me, its got numbers, theme, and strength, etc, so I'm eager to see if I can use it effectively.

As far as the Gondor list goes, I'm definitely thinking about getting rid of one of the banners, but I'm not sure which one. The Knight would give me a lot of points back, but the warrior is not as effective due to his, by comparison, limited mobility. Either way, because, again, of wysiwyg, I have to add in the points for the shields of the knights, so something's gotta go. I just haven't gotten around to updating the list yet.

Thanks for the comments :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:43 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Okay, well, sorry for the delay in bringing forth a new Tower of Ecthelion army list. I have no quality excuses so I will not attempt to provide one.

I opted to remove the mounted banner so as to secure more points. In keeping with the theme of no new purchases, which has already failed for the Moria list, I have not included the elites everyone has been continuously mentioning. Here it is:

Faramir w/Heavy Armor and Horse, 80 pts
Captain of Gondor w/Shield, 55 pts
Warrior of Minas Tirith, x31, w/spear, shield, bow, banner, 281 pts
Knight of Minas Tirith, x6, 78 pts
Total: 39 models, 494 pts

Was it a smart idea to get rid of the mounted banner as opposed to the foot? Are elites an absolute must for this list? Also, if anyone's picked up the latest issue of White Dwarf, containing the new profile for Faramir, I'd like any comments about that. Technically I guess one would be encouraged to buy that specific model to use that profile, but honestly, all I'd have to do is give my Faramir a shield to meet the wysiwyg requirements as far as equipment. In addition, if anyone has their heart set on adding some rangers to this list, just let me know a precise number so I can get an idea if I would need to purchase either the plastic boxed set or the Faramir's Rangers blister if I should feel so inclined to take your advice. :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Alright, seeing as Gondor and Moria are now effectively good to go, I've got one last list.

Witch king of Angmar w/ Dark Steed, 3M, 17W, 3F, 145 points
Khandish Chieftain w/bow, 55 points
Captain of the Black Guard, 60 points
Black Guard Drummer, 45 points
Khandish Warrior, x9, 63 points
Orc Tracker, x3, 15 points
Black Guard, x5, w/banner, 90 points
Khandish Charioteer w/bow, 26 points
Total: 499 points, 22 models

The theme of this army is inspired by Pelenor Fields. It is meant to be a very powerful army, not a balanced army or a numerous army. I was thinking of replacing the Black Guard with Mordor Orcs to make the army more thematic and to add numbers, but I'm not sure (that route is cheaper anyway). I really don't want to get rid of the Witch King or any of the Khand miniatures. To clarify, this army is not under my ''no new purchases'' theme, but I'd like to keep the purchases at as small of a cost as possible.

Any further comments on any armies are welcome.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:55 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'd swap out the Goblin Drum for a Shaman and some Prowlers.[quote][/quote] indeed thats my opinion aswell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Your Khand list is very, very, very, very etc. low on numbers. You've probably noticed this already but you will be outnumbered always at least 2-1. The drummer is really not necesarry as your Khand troops won't be able to keep up with the uruks anyhow. I wouldn't take such a powerful nazgul myself, if you really want one then I would just take a normal fully upgraded nazgul or a named, Khamul would be thematic. This leaves you about 60 pts. to play with with which I would probably give the chieftan a chariot and swap the trackers for some khand bowmen. If you are still low on numbers then I would drop the nazgul altogether.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I knew it was low on numbers, very low. But I meant for its power to outway its lack of models . I guess with an average of constantly being outnumbered 2 to 1, power won't help.

The theme of this army is based on this sample army from Games Workshop: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=&section=&pIndex=5&aId=4400008&start=6

I'm not going to write out an army list, but how does the Witch King, Khandish Chieftain, 9 Khandish Warriors, the 3 trackers, an orc captain, a chariot, and Mordor Orcs sound? Better?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:16 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The problem with too many allies at this point cost is you have to take a hero to lead them. Your latest list has three, which is overload, you should go for 2 max.

Your best bet for a chariot is to give one to the chief and surround him with cheap Khandish horses and/or mercenaries. He acts as a banner, which is a help for all those F3 troops. He gets mobility, and he gets to neutralize enemy cavalry. Get rid of the other chariot.

If you wanted to ally with Orcs for numbers, try a low-end named captain like Gorbag, and you might be able to fit in a basic ringwraith, which can help you neutralize enemy heroes and bring those numbers to bear.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:56 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It looks like this list is going to need some serious work. :(
Now, to clarify, the Khandish Charioteer miniature can be used as either a Chieftain or regular charioteer, correct? If not, is the back of the chariot wide enough that I could just plop my foot Chieftain in the back without having to take him of his base? In additon, just to make sure, the army I linked to earlier is illegal LoMe-wise, as it contains no hero to lead the Mordor Orcs, right?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:47 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

New List.

Khandish King w/bow and chariot, 120 points
Khandish Horseman, x5, 55 points
Khandish Warrior, x10, 70 points
Amdur, Lord of Blades, 100 points
Easterling Warrior, x18, 8/spear+shield, 5/bow, 5/shield
Total: 35 models, 497 points

This list is going to cost a lot of money; as it stands, I currently only own the Khandish Warriors. Is it good?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:39 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Much better. :-D You don't have to use Easterlings if you don't have them, allying Mordor is fine, but Easterlings are more thematic IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:58 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I actually don't have either :wink:

I like the latter list better as well, and unless it faces harsh criticism, I'm satisfied with it.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:03 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Better IMHO. If you can keep Amdur safe and chewing through warriors you should be good. You're right about cost though, as you have to buy two boxes of warriors to get those 8 shield and spears... :(
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
Better IMHO. If you can keep Amdur safe and chewing through warriors you should be good. You're right about cost though, as you have to buy two boxes of warriors to get those 8 shield and spears... :(

Meh, I would just swap some of them for archers and then you only have to buy one box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

spuds4ever wrote:
whafrog wrote:

Meh, I would just swap some of them for archers and then you only have to buy one box.

Done.

Khandish King w/bow and chariot, 120 points
Khandish Horseman, x5, 55 points
Khandish Warrior, x10, 70 points
Amdur, Lord of Blades, 100 points
Easterling Warrior, x18, 4/shield+spear, 6/bow, 8/shield, 152 pts
Total: 497 points, 35 models

I couldn't replace all the points with archers as I believe I would have gone over the 33% bow limit.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:24 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I didn't actually say to give all the easterlings bows. Anyway, list looks good like to hear some feed-back from it. :)