All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:09 pm

Post subject: 350pt Good List For Doubles Tournament
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:52 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi, I am trying to come up with some ideas for a 350pt list for a Doubles Tournament, last year I took a 350pt Rohan force and found that they did not perform particularly well (lost horribly :o ). I would like to take a force that is a bit more competitive and as such have been toying with a few lists show below;

List 1:

Prince Imrahil (Armoured Horse, Lance)
3 x Knights of Dol Amroth (Armoured Horse, Lance)
8 x Knights of Dol Amroth
2 x Men at Arms of Dol Amroth
5 x Rangers (Spear)

List 2:

Aragorn (Horse, Armour)
Elladan and Elrohir (Horses)

List 3:

Gandalf
Legolas
Gimli

What do you think of these lists and do you have any suggestions for other good forces that are generally considered competitive at these point levels?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Unless there's something you're not telling us about the tournament rules or your partner's force, I'm guessing these will fare about as well as your Rohan army. You simply don't have the numbers. The best is the first list, but I think you'd do better with Faramir and a basic assortment of WoMT and squeeze in 3-5 KoMT with shields.

You may think the elite troop's higher Fight will carry the day, but that's not the way the odds work. Number of dice is far more important. Here's a summary of odds assuming your model has the higher fight:

1 to 1: you win 58% of the time
2 to 1: you win 42% of the time
3 to 1: you win 34% of the time

Anybody fielding Orcs will be able to be at 2-1 for most of the fights.

Your heroes have better odds, but if you're surrounded you *have* to win the fight, and all it takes is 1 bad roll to wipe out your might, and a second bad roll to lose.

So unless you're teaming up with someone who does provide the numbers, I think you might be in trouble.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Whafrog has got a point. Numbers mean everything in low point armys, I try to cram as many Goblins as possible into a low point Moria force. Quality only counts in large 1000+ armys where you can afford to have larger numbers of elite warriors, Cavalry and Heroes. Definately field KoMT and WoMT instead, you can get far more numbers that way.

For example, I played the Scenario 'Dol Guldur Awakens' with 200 points worth of Goblins and absoutely killed the elves. I then recently played it with the recomended forces and I lost misarably being outnumbered 2:1 even though all of my warriors had 2 or 4 wounds, the elves could surround the enemy and trap it. Quantity not Quality.

-=100th Post=-

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant - 6/53

Last edited by The_Dragon_of_Moria on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

When i first started, i was building a 300pt army and i was given the advice, MAX out on numbers!

In my first game, my knights of dol amroth were ground down by my opponents massed ranks of haradrim warriors and hasharin.

If i were to choose an army, it would be Gondor and then follow whafrog's advice. I would add in Beregond for a low price hero that stops your troops running.

If you follow the others advice as well, (and i would) you will definitely get a better ranking.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:11 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate that numbers are important in a list, however we found that at the last tournament it was difficult to bring your numbers to bear against a more elite enemy deployed in a shield wall, as lapping round the ends takes time and can be prevented or slowed by terrain.

That being said I have tried to take on board your suggestions so please find two proposed forces below;

Doubles Team 1;

Faramir (Heavy Armour, Horse, Lance) = 90
Beregond = 25
6 x Knight of Minas Tirith (Shields) = 84
11 x Warriors of Minas Tirith (Shields) = 88
7 x Warriors of Minas Tirith (Spears & Bows) = 63

Models = 26
Total = 350

Prince Imrahil (Armoured Horse, Lance) = 155
11 x Knights of Dol Amroth = 99
4 x Men-at-arms of Dol Amroth = 36
4 x Ranger of Gondor (Spears) = 36
3 x Ranger of Gondor = 24

Models = 23
Total = 350

Doubles Team 2;

Faramir (Heavy Armour, Horse, Lance) = 90
Beregond = 25
6 x Knight of Minas Tirith (Shields) = 84
11 x Warriors of Minas Tirith (Shields) = 88
7 x Warriors of Minas Tirith (Spears & Bows) = 63

Models = 26
Total = 350

Balin = 75
8 x Dwarf Warriors (Shields) = 72
6 x Dwarf Warriors (Bows) = 54
1 xDwarf Warrior (Banner) = 38
4 x Khazad Guard = 44
4 x Iron Guard = 60
1 x Dwarf Ranger = 7

Models = 25
Total = 350

What do you think?
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Looks a lot better 8), though I would still be tempted to take some more low point troops (i.e. rangers) to bolster the number of troops. Your Dwarf force seems very solid and makes a good ally to your Gondorians. Numbers are much better with the second force.

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant - 6/53
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:40 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like the flavour of Team 1 better :) There's something about Balin and Dwarves allied with Gondor that doesn't seem right to me.

The only thing I'd consider is if you need to have Imrahil mounted. He's more of a target, and the horse and lance are worth 2 more warriors. I'd suggest 1 more MoDA, plus 1 more Ranger with spear, which would help give support to those 11 KoDA, and max your bows).
I can't imagine you'll want him far from the DA troops anyway, since he's a banner to them.