All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:57 pm

Post subject: 350 pts tournament armies
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

There will be a tournament with 350 point armies in Germany in a few weeks and I'd like to have a few comments on the armies I'm thinking about.
Starting with this one:

Eomer mounted with shield
10 Riders of Rohan with throwing spears

Ghan-buri-Ghan
9 Woses warrior

please don't say I should take Erkenbrand, because he does not fit the theme and I want to play an army, which is based on a story in the books.

Last edited by Frêrin on Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: 350 pts tournament armies
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

some rohan out riders maybe? least seems themed have 2 or 3 prob and normally if druadan is involved not bad idea if eomer got 1 or 2 royal guard to protect him :P
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Because of the bow limit I could take only one outrider without playing royal guard and I don't have any royal guards.

It's so hard to create an army at 350 points, because you can't handle all things, you may face.
This list would be would be weak against a woodelf force with Legolas and many elvenbows.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Erkenbrand on Horse
11 Westfold Redshields

Ghan Buri Gahn
10 Woses

This could help a bit? a couple more models, fight 4 across the board and +2courage from Erkenbrands Horn. Best way to play would be to skirmish and pick off models with blowpipes and bows, hiding the woses in terrain using their elf-cloak ability.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Basically what you got its an hunting party, like the one I´ve been using lately...

Warband 1
Yazneg on fell warg with lance
3 hunter orcs on fell wargs
6 fell wargs

Warband 2
Fimbul on fell warg
4 hunter orcs on fell wargs
6 fell wargs

345pts
21 models
6 might
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:37 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hands_Hammerhelm wrote:
Erkenbrand on Horse
11 Westfold Redshields

Ghan Buri Gahn
10 Woses

Thank you for reading my post...

Because the first list is to weak against armies with more/better bows I made up an other army:

The Goblinking
10 Goblinwarrior

Moria Goblin Shaman
4 Moria Goblins with shields
3 Moria Goblins with spears
3 Moria Goblins with spears and orcbows

Mordor Orc Taskmaster
3 Orcwarriors with shields
2 Orcwarriors with orcbows and spears

This army represents the orcs of the misty mountains as I imagine it. There are the little, weak orcs (goblin warriors) used as slaves; the orcs, who are strong enough to get themselfe an armour and become warriors (moria goblins). And the bigger orcs who serve as body guards.
I think 28 models is ok, because I have the shamane, who hopefuly will get me a few back. I choosed the Taskmaster because, the shaman will call a heroic channel for sure and I feel like I need the king to do heroic strikes against big heros and heroic combats against lists with a high model count.
I put in some bows, because of the fact if my opponent does not have any, I am the one who decides where the fight will take place.

If you have any ideas about something more effective than the taskmaster warband feel free to answer. I think the Goblin king and the shaman are a must have.

Last edited by Frêrin on Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I prefer the theme of your original list. Maybe, in order to add some variety but keeping with the theme, you could try this:

Eomer with horse and shield
2 Rohan Royal Guard with horse and throwing-spear
2 Rohan Outriders with horse
6 Riders of Rohan with throwing-spear

Ghan-buri-ghan
9 Woses

350pts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:48 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm not so happy with this list. The heros are to weak and I've nothing against monster, or bows. And there are to many armies, who can beat my range weapons. Every elve army will, Isengart, dwarfs even if they take only 4 or 5 bows can be dangerous, too, Harad and Hobbits. It's to dangerous.

An other option would be to play wood elves with maximum bows myselfe like this:

Thranduil with Elvenbow and armour
4 Woodelves with Elvenbows
1 Woodelf
5 Woodelves with Woodelfspears

Legolas with armour
3 Woodelves with Elvenbows
1 Woodelf
6 Woodelves with Woodelfspears
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:45 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Comes down to what you want to do most, win your games or use an army or style you want to play.
Of course there's also a balance to be found between the two.

My limited experience of 350 has shown that a whole range of threats can appear and its hard to counter them all in a list build.
The more warriors the better it seems to be at this level.

Your first list looked fairly solid to me, as long as you can get the cavalry and infantry working together.
The goblin list looks nice and strong, you may struggle against Black riders should anyone field one.
The elf list also looks good, I'm guessing the archers will be Mirkwood guards?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Gondorian Captain wrote:
The elf list also looks good, I'm guessing the archers will be Mirkwood guards?
No, I think 2 points are too expensive.
About what I want:
I want a strongt army, which has a chance against everything I may face, the strategy shouldn't be hiding and shooting (thats what I don't like about the woodelf list) and there should be a theme based on Tolkien's middleearth (and not GW's).
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If its range issues you got

Just get shadowlord and fill the remain army with goblin town goblins lol

And 2 pts for an elf with shooting 2+ its not expensive, many wish their armies could get 2+ to shooting value.. (its 3+ on the move)~
The game is not tolkien on the field so give up on that, you can ressemble something close to it, but thats it... elves are hiding and shooting at most part cause they literally got no armour at all, so they need skirmish tricks in order to survive, they just engage in melee when its needed them to be, but otherwise they should prefer to avoid that.

If its a shooting/melee army you want.. well then use mirkwood rangers

Warband 1

Thranduil, king of mirkwood (non hobbit model)
4 mirkwood elf guards with bow
6 wood elves with spear

Warband 1
Legolas with armour
5 mirkwood rangers

347pts
17 models 6 might

Or instead of Legolas pull Tauriel and add 1more wood elf with spear and will make 350pts exactly
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:53 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Galanur wrote:
If its range issues you got

Just get shadowlord and fill the remain army with goblin town goblins lol

I don't know what you want to say?!

Refering to the list, in my opinion 17 models are not enough you. As soon as it comes to meele the elves will die too fast. Besides monster can be a big problem. I think I won't play woodelves.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Frêrin, I salute you for your thematic choices :) The road may be harder but its twice as rewarding ;)

It does seem atm that you're hopping from one idea to the next. Mayve think about what it is you need to take on or the mix of threats you could face and then work out a good balanced list to counter them.
Which scenarios will you be playing and do you know anything about the likely opposition?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Gondorian Captain wrote:
Frêrin, I salute you for your thematic choices The road may be harder but its twice as rewarding

Gondorian Captain wrote:
Mayve think about what it is you need to take on or the mix of threats you could face and then work out a good balanced list to counter them.

That is exactly my problem. There could be ringwraiths, mosters, all hero armies, range armies, all mounted armies and so on...how shall I deal with all this?!

I changed the Misty Mountain list a little by taking a mounted 2/0/1 ringwraith and one more Moria Goblin with spear and orcbow and one with shield instead of the taskmaster warband. But I loose three models and theme.

Gondorian Captain wrote:
Which scenarios will you be playing and do you know anything about the likely opposition?

There will be 5 games and the scenarios are published on the day of the tournament. So I have to be able to deal with everything.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:29 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sounds awesome I really like blind tournaments.

Right so I would say you need to try and do a little of everything.
You need numbers but not too many, fast moving troops as well as reliable warriors for holding ground. Magic is always difficult at this level, black riders make for good bargain price casters and barrowwights will likely be unexpected.
You need a hero and either some form of bow defence or a good number of bows yourself.
All very generic adivce really isn't it.

Which models/factions do you have available for this?

On a slight side note I really want to try Eorl with a full warband of sons of eorl at this level. Doubt they'd be too balanced but they've got to hit hard lol
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Gondorian Captain wrote:
Which models/factions do you have available for this?

I have Isengart, the old dwarfes and Thorins Company, Wood elves, Goblin Town and Moria, a few Orcs and Morannon orcs (Bhurdur), rangers and a few Warriors of Minas Thirit, riders of rohan, ghan buri ghan and 9 woses, treebeard, the fellowship. This should be it :D

Gondorian Captain wrote:
On a slight side note I really want to try Eorl with a full warband of sons of eorl at this level. Doubt they'd be too balanced but they've got to hit hard lol

If your opponent has bows and wants to win, he just hides in difficult terrain and you aren't able to do anything about it.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:57 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I thought about the weaknes of the woodelf army and ended up with this battle of the five army (ok, the pony is not that themed) list:

Thranduil with armour and elfbow
1 Woodelfwarrior with Elfbow
3 Woodelfwarriors with Elfbows and Woodelfspears
6 Woodelfwarriors with Woodelfspears

Thorin with the Oakenshield on Pony
7 Warrior of Erebor with shields

I have a few bows, but my strategy does not depend on them, Thranduils free spells, Thorin with 8" movement to heroic strike against monsters and a few draws with D7. I'm a bit worried about the model count, but Thranduils Aura of Dismay should do it, if the opponent doesn't field a ringwraith.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:38 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I really like that last list, it not perfect but I think a lot of people think their list has to be the most perfect and multi-faceted creation there has ever been but if you think about tournament winning list their not hugely complex. GBHL Jamie's wood elves are just the two named heroes, a stormcaller (shaman) and the basic troops. Ed's is just three Ringwraiths on fellbeasts and (I'v forgotten's whose) Laketown is just the the named heroes and just a lot of standard troops. You just have to know how to use your list

This list has two great heroes nature's wrath, terrifying aura, lots of high fight and some high defense units so it should do fine, however, if I was to give one critique I might take Dwalin over Thorin, he dishes out just as much pain but would let you take another dwarf
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:57 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

ElfGeneral wrote:
GBHL Jamie's wood elves are just the two named heroes, a stormcaller (shaman) and the basic troops. Ed's is just three Ringwraiths on fellbeasts and (I'v forgotten's whose) Laketown is just the the named heroes and just a lot of standard troops.

And that are exactly the three/four types of armies a want to have a chance against. Maximum range weapons, Monsters big Heros/Magic and armies with high model count but it isn't possible to handle all this perfectly at 350 points.

Just for fun I made this totally cool fluffy but maybe not really competitive Dol Guldur army:

Khamul on fellbeast
The Spiderqueen
Ringwraith with 2 extra might

I'm just thinking about takin a horse instead of the two might points. I think this army could be really funny, but I will not play it, because I don't know the scenarios, which will be played.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:49 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If your opponent has bows and wants to win, he just hides in difficult terrain and you aren't able to do anything about it.[/quote]

Not quite true. Sometimes with all cav you need to know when its time to dismount and win the day on foot. I once had to do this with all mounted rohan to win seize the prize.
No its not easy but it comes with the play style :)
It also assumes that the difficult terrain is exactly where it needs to be for the opponent to win the game, not as helpful for recon or domination if they cav player is placing his objectives where he needs them.

You are right in that its far from an ideal situation, a more balanced list would include say 6 sons with 6 riders of rohan for the bow support or something to that effect.

Yeah one thing that's often forgotten is that its knowing how to use a list to its fullest that makes a great player, not the list itself.

I like the look of your elf/dwarf list should have the tools you need to do well :)