All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:22 pm

Post subject: Building 1st army - help
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:36 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello all, I have really only collected a few miniatures of late to paint as a hobby. I decided to buy the Hobbit/Smaug rule books to help me on my way to taking the plunge into the game side of things. After going of the book, I seem to have had an information overload and am sort of lost now.

The models I have at the moment are...
Good - Radagast on the sleigh, Beorn Man and Bear and one set of Great eagles.

Evil - One set of Mirkwood Spiders, one set of Fel Wargs.

With the good side army list I do like the nature sort of element and with the Evil side I like the Spider element.

I just can't seem to build a list. Not sure how many of what type I can have and all that sort of thing. Any help would be great.

Thx
 Post subject: Re: Building 1st army - help
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:17 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well you can build a list from most anything. The main things about what you have already are:

All your good models are very points heavy meaning that you'll be fielding small armies

You will also need Radagast on foot in case his sleigh is killed during the game.

You need a hero for your evil army. Mirkwood Spiders and Fell Wargs are good in that you can ignore the warband rules with them, but you still need a leader. Also if you're looking to have your two forces fight it out then you will need far more evil units as it would be a very imbalanced fight in Good's favor.

Hope that helps

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

If you like a good guy nature force then you could try out putting your Radagast with some Mirkwood or Galadrim elves. Keep Beorn and the eagles. Get Gwaihir to lead the eagles and it could be quite thematic! You could try to field just spiders and wargs but the heroes are so limited that I wouldn't try. And as an after thought you could add some ents with treebeard leading them. And all hobbits have a love of things that grow!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Your good models all come from the "Wanderers in the Wild" list, which is rather nice.

500 points is a good number to aim for. I don't have the books with me, but I have a feeling that your good models add up to something close to that, although I don't remember any more than roughly how much Beorn or Radagast on Sleigh cost.

On the evil side you're WAAAAY off. About 100 points I think (it's prohibited on this forum to talk about exact points costs).

I would suggest the Spider Queen would be a great addition to your force, and if spiders are the line you want to go down then it might be a good idea to look at the Moria sourcebook, where you have access to giant spiders (which are a lot smaller than the mirkwood verity!) as well as a goblin shaman called Ashrak the Spiderkin, and some other cool beasties. A fair few people create nasty lists of Moria creatures such as bats and spiders, and I'm told they can be pretty effective.
There's also a "Wild Warg Chieftain" which is a great model too.

However, if you don't want to go down the Moria route, and would rather stick to Hobbit releases in the Hobbit rules books, you could always pick up a few boxes of Hunter Orcs to go with your wargs and spiders, which are great models as well as being pretty effective in the game.

Hope that helps a bit.

Check out my blog: http://yggdrasilpainting.wix.com/yggdrasilpainting
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:49 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

So maybe to start out with the basics of army building, usual you would pick a faction and the sourcebook to go along with it. You would pick troops and then heros to lead warbands of troops but fro good at least you pretty much only have heros, so if you were to play good they could, all be fielded by themselves, and Beorn is a bit of an army to himself. For evil all of those models can also be independent, they don't require a hero to lead them but you would need one to be your general, or leader.

My best advice is to just scroll through GW website and find which models you like the most, character wise or just looks and then build them up from there. Because the models you have now could be great additions to any army but aren't really the meat of an army, except maybe for Beorn, by themselves. A couple spiders or wargs could be sprinkled into pretty much any evil army but to make an army entirely of out of spiders and wargs might not be the most fun to play.

P
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:53 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

No, they're from Radagast's alliance, not the Wanderers in the Wild.