All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:54 pm

Post subject: WHY ARE THERE NO LOTRs PLAYERS IN OR VERY NEAR EASTBOURNE!!?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

i am very annoyed that there are so many players everywhere but eastbourne east sussex and no i cannot go to any club in east grinstead. i just wish there were players in my local area.
 Post subject: Re: WHY ARE THERE NO LOTRs PLAYERS IN OR VERY NEAR EASTBOURN
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:26 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I envy all of you in the UK lol there are far fewer players in the US (especially in terms of proximity to each other)

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:27 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Can't remember if we discussed before but I'll ask again.

Do you drive?
Do you have space to game in Eastbourne?

You have to be willing to travel for games and people (like myself) will be willing to travel back. Shouting about it will get you nowhere. Provided you can make a return trip, I could probably drive down to Eastbourne one weekend. My boards don't fit in my car though so you would need to provide those.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

When I first went to east Grinstead no body played SBG, but I still went and took loads of figures for people to try.... Wrote battle reports, started a blog... And now look at our club 8-10 players for SBG with loads of painted figures and hosting 2 GBHL tourneys per year!!!

If you want it, you got to work at it.

Go to an Eastbourne wargaming club (there are 2 I think) and take a starter set or 2 small armies to get someone to play. The club will want you to join (helps support their club) and will probably have someone willing to play. all my first posts were battles with Craig, the only one who would pull away from 40K. But with time more people came and we do have 2+ tables running SBG and it's growing all the time!

So in short, find a club, go to club, get someone to play.... A little effort goes a long way :-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yes i remember talkign about playing sometime SouthernDunedain, but i am so annoyed that there are so many 40k and fantasy players but very few LOTRs players. Go into any GW store and 95% of the people in there are playing 40k or fantasy. Just wished there were people who go to the shop in eastbourne and play LOTRs. That east grinstead club sounds great and i would love to play on helms deep but it is simply too far away.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:35 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

*copied from another post about a similar topic*

You have to make the manager interested and you have to get the other local players interested. Support your local store, buy some stuff in there and sit down and build, paint it etc. People will soon ask you about what you're building etc and then that is your chance to hook them in and get them gaming. Plus, if the manager sees a decent amount of interest (and money) in the game then he/ she will become more involved and start pushing it more.

I'm guessing nobody plays SBG as they see it pointless to push a 'dead' system if there is more chance of a sale with 40k.

My local never used to have many lotr players, now we have 6/7 and the manager joins in our games if he has time. Between myself and the manager, we have converted several 40k/ WHFB players into LotR players.

It's all about DA MONIEZ!

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:36 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think that 40k is good enough and it does not need to be pushed. The Hobbit section of the shelfs in Eastbourne has halved to make room for tons of new 40k stuff. 40 already takes 70% of the store.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:39 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

A fact which amazes me. 40k is the second worst table-top game I've ever seen/played. Only WHF is worse lol

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

As I suggested earlier in this post, find a gaming club in Eastbourne... (Not games workshop)
Dear google, "wargaming clubs Eastbourne", email them, go along, take some figures, play, join club, get others to play... Simples init!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

http://www.eastbourneelemental.net/club_charter.aspx

Players on there state they play LotR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:03 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

JamesR wrote:
A fact which amazes me. 40k is the second worst table-top game I've ever seen/played. Only WHF is worse lol

Just wondering why you think those 2 are so bad? I agree that LOTR is better but 40k isn't that bad and I really enjoy fantasy too.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:13 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

40K's decent, but it suffers from terrible stat creep. You think watchers of Karna are bad? The 40K system of points to stats is running on no logic at all.

And whereas LOTR has been mostly ignored, 40K has had targeted depredations inflicted on the fanbase that have wrecked everything.

40K coulda been a contender, even on terms of lore if you don't mind dystopia (the Horus Heresy novels are quite nice). Sigh.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:36 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

40k is terribly imbalanced to the point of being a joke. And WHF is move my infantry block forward, now you. Roll off, remove formation casualties, repeat.
I much prefer 40k of the two, there are some fun things about it, like crazy monsters like the Doom (who doesn't exist anymore). But there's very little in the way of tactics in either, by nature of the rule systems.
I much prefer X-wing, infinity, Bolt Action, flames of war, and especially Dreadball! To the "other two" GW games. I think they are terribly written systems

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

JamesR wrote:
40k is terribly imbalanced to the point of being a joke. And WHF is move my infantry block forward, now you. Roll off, remove formation casualties, repeat.
I much prefer 40k of the two, there are some fun things about it, like crazy monsters like the Doom (who doesn't exist anymore). But there's very little in the way of tactics in either, by nature of the rule systems.
I much prefer X-wing, infinity, Bolt Action, flames of war, and especially Dreadball! To the "other two" GW games. I think they are terribly written systems

I'd agree that 40k doesn't require that much tactics but I'd argue that fantasy requires a fair amount of tactics (e.g positioning of units). I haven't had the privilege to play those other systems so I can't comment on them :(

VandalCabbage wrote:
40K's decent, but it suffers from terrible stat creep. You think watchers of Karna are bad? The 40K system of points to stats is running on no logic at all.

And whereas LOTR has been mostly ignored, 40K has had targeted depredations inflicted on the fanbase that have wrecked everything.

40K coulda been a contender, even on terms of lore if you don't mind dystopia (the Horus Heresy novels are quite nice). Sigh.

I'm not trying to say that some of the units aren't ridiculously OP lol, and I agree that LOTR is better but I don't think they are terrible systems, just certain units imbalance them. I agree with you about that Horus Heresy stuff by the way, the novels and especially the FW sculpts (if only they weren't so expensive..)

To be honest though I'm kinda inexperienced at all 3 of these systems and only play against a limited player base, who tend not to play cheap - so take this with a pinch of salt. :)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:16 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Alex in Middle earth wrote:
JamesR wrote:

Just wondering why you think those 2 are so bad? I agree that LOTR is better but 40k isn't that bad and I really enjoy fantasy too.

I don't know what playing fantasy is like and 40k is fun but I do agree that it is not the best. Too many stupid rules, too complex, too unbalanced etc.

LORTs WH has rules that make sense. you don't get either an armour save (or in this case defence) or a cover save. if the arrow misses the obstacle, it penetrates the models armour or they are ok. Like in real life.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I live in Bexhill