All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:07 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi, did you ever manage to find lotr players in the GW Dublin branch in the end?

I used to play & collect the lotr sbg. I started when it was 1st released in 2001 & stopped about 4 years ago due to real life stuff. However, i've recently been getting back into to whole tabletop miniatures scene. When I used to play at GW Dublin, we had a small but regular group of players meeting up once or twice a week for afew games. The old store manager, Paul Hickey, was a sound guy too! What people did back then when they lacked players, was to use the forums. I think GW still had forums back then, there was also ThelastAlliance site too, to make up a mailing list of people who wanted to play lotr sbg, whose local store was GW Dublin, and to simply send all the interested parties an e-mail on the list when you wanted to meet up for a game. It worked great!

I've not bought the War of the Ring or Battlehosts stuff, that was released after I "left" the hobby, and i'm not sure if I will stick with lotr (with the release of Warhammer Fantasy 8th edition in July i've already started collecting a High Elves army for that), but with that said, I'm always up for a game of "Old School" lotr sbg! If your reading this & your interested in afew games, send me a pm!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

well i've found a couple of players so far, one only plays wotr another couple play both. but they all seem to prefer 40k(which i have zero interest in) and they don't really seem to 'love' their lotr armies, if you know what i mean. but there is now a gaming club that meets on saturdays in the shop and there is a lot of people in that, so now especially with the release of battlehosts i'm trying to get a few more interested. but i won't be in there for a while now i'v got my junior cert in a couple of weeks :(
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:55 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ah the junior cert, i remember that well! Good luck with it.

As for the gaming groups that meet up on Saturdays, what is the age range of the players who play lotr? I'm 25 myself, but i'd imagine it would be players that are in their teens who play it. It's one of the reasons i'm leaning more towards Warhammer Fantasy, since i'd imagine "older" players like myself play it more so than lotr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

thanks :) well the gaming club on saturdays is mostly for younger gamers in their teens, the one on thursday evenings is for older, more experienced gamers. i'm not sure how many gamers on thursdays play lotr, but as for not many 'older' gamers playing lotr, there seems to be a lot around here :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey, I often play in the GW dublin store, I email a friend to set a time and we usually play sometime during the week. I've never been in on the thursdays though(I'm 19 btw) so I couldn't tell you if there's many LotR players there. However, given the turn-out at any LOTR events, I don't think it'd be very big though all the staff do play.

Anyway, if either of you would like to meet up for a game then PM me to fix a time. LoTR or WoTR are both fine with me, prefer LoTR though if there's a choice.

(I'm not sure if I know you thewhitehand, but I don't think I do since I have very little interest in 40k, I'm Ben in case you do).
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:00 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ah cool black sword. I should be free sometime next week, if i am I'll send you a pm about a game then!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

what time do yous meet at im looking for a gaming club in dublin i play lord of the rings but im starting to play war of the ring dont know how to play that yet though xD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:40 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I play SBG in Blanchardstown or Dublin but not WotR.Im only 14 so it might be kinda awkward if I come for a game and realise your all adults,so if any of you are around my age please tell me
 Post subject: Re: GW Dublin
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:41 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Resurrecting this thread. :)

If anyone in Dublin is interested in meeting up to start playing a few LOTR/Hobbit/Middle-Earth SBG games, please reply to this thread or PM me.

I've just recently returned to the game. The news that the game is going to be supported again by Games-Workshop has returned my interest!

I'm planning on playing a Mirkwood force. I'm starting with just a small Warband+Hero, so if any new players or returning players in Dublin want to join in, the cost of starting up should be relatively low. I also plan to meet up with potential opponents in either GW Dublin or in Gamers World Dublin.

So if you're in the slightest bit tempted by this offer, please don't be shy and get in contact! :)

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:34 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I just wanted to update this thread as I came accross The Irish Hobbit League on Facebook, which seems like a great way to meet fellow players here in Ireland.

The Irish Hobbit League:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/427293384029266/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi theniffrig, I don't know if you already know this, but there is a small tournament in Gamers World on Jervis Street on the 10th and 11th of December.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:01 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Yes, I'm aware of that. I follow the Irish Hobbit League on Facebook. I was really looking forward to attending, but circumstances mean I'll be away for the next 2 months so I'll end up missing it. Going to miss the Star Wars Destiny event on the 19th November there too. Oh well, sometimes life is > hobby.