All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:47 pm

Post subject: Getting started again...err...again!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:05 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all,

I have been playing the game since 2003. But I’ve never really painted large quantities of figures. I’ve really only played at the battle company level.

However, with the release of the new version of the rules I am looking to get into playing the game on a more regular basis. For that reason I have actually gone to the local game store and offered to start a regular gaming session on Wednesday nights. If I get any support, I will also link up to a Facebook escalation campaign that is being run in the Delaware/Virginia/District of Columbia area.

I am really hoping this will kick start my painting. However I would like my figures to look as close as possible to my original figures which were painted with the Games Workshop guides and paints from back then. I have several paint conversion charts, but are there any other resources that you can recommend for getting back into painting?

Thanks, Ed
 Post subject: Re: Getting started again...err...again!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Welcome!

I believe Games Workshop has some kind of painting app that recently finally got some Middle-earth entries - don't use it myself and no idea what's in it, but might be worth checking out. There's also tons of videos on youtube, both by GW and many, many others. Techniques, paint recipes, anything.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Download the Citadel paint app. It's free and it's actually really good. They just dropped a bunch of LoTR schemes into it, and you can pick what you like from hundreds of painted minis. The schemes may not be exact to the model shown, scroll down and see the jump pack, but it's still an excellent resource.

Poke around a bit on the forum and youtube and see what people have linked, liked and and done.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

HerkNav wrote:
Hi all,

I have been playing the game since 2003. But I’ve never really painted large quantities of figures. I’ve really only played at the battle company level.

However, with the release of the new version of the rules I am looking to get into playing the game on a more regular basis. For that reason I have actually gone to the local game store and offered to start a regular gaming session on Wednesday nights. If I get any support, I will also link up to a Facebook escalation campaign that is being run in the Delaware/Virginia/District of Columbia area.

I am really hoping this will kick start my painting. However I would like my figures to look as close as possible to my original figures which were painted with the Games Workshop guides and paints from back then. I have several paint conversion charts, but are there any other resources that you can recommend for getting back into painting?

Thanks, Ed

Use picture references from movies and such. Shading is also important.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:39 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks, all.

Ed