All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:49 pm

Post subject: Breathe before the plunge...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:40 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello One-Ringers,

After several months of skulking around the forum I decided that I would finally take the plunge and join. You could stop here and that would be perfectly fine or read on and I'll treat you all to a little background on myself...in relation to the hobby of course. Anything else is boring isn't it!?

I was first exposed to the Lord of the Rings SBG when I was younger. My pop and I, still high on adrenaline from watching the Fellowship of the Ring in theaters for the first time, walked into a Hobby Town USA curious about what was inside. Lo and behold, there sat a Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game set on display (one of the first I believe with High Elves and Goblins). I was entranced. The box showed awesome figures locked in battle. How could I not want this awesome "toy"? My dad, being a fellow nerd, was curious as well and asked one of the clerks to explain what it was (this was not a GW store obviously or else we would have been swarmed at the door). The man explained what it was. He was a terrible salesman. "You probably don't want that." "You have to put them together." "You gotta paint them." "You gotta buy paints and brushes." "Oh, and a little kid like you would have to sell your soul to buy it (back then they only cost one soul)." I was crushed needless to say and I left that day turned off of LOTR SBG for a long time.

Flash forward to 9 months ago and I am a history/strategy/boardgame buff. I am recently employed with expendable income...(err as much as my wife allows :)) and I am cruising through eBay and I decide to pick up a MoM SBG set for sale. The ghost of that salesman can stick it. I am a HUGE Lord of the Rings fan and a HUGE Strategy fan so why not? "Why shouldn't I keep it?" Several hundred dollars and several unpainted miniatures later I am officially an addict of this game and this hobby. From the collecting to the painting to the terrain to the game itself I am hooked. I wish I had taken the plunge all those years ago and gotten that starter set (don't ever sell your soul though, it's worth more than that). If I had, who knows how much more awesome I'd be at it than I am now? (sarcasm) Anyways, if you have read this far I'm sorry, but thanks for listening. I hope to see you around!
 Post subject: Re: Breathe before the plunge...
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Cool beans man, i'm glad you took the plunge!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:08 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Welcome Dorthonion, interest story. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:32 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

What a great story - I cheered as the ghost of the salesman was finally vanquished and you decided to indulge your dream at last. As you say, it's just sad that you were put off in the past.

Having said that, you might have drifted away from the hobby when you were younger with studying and other distractions. Now you are older and you have joined our forum "All you soul are belong to us" - tee-he

Azog

Forum Guidelines
http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:12 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Harfoot is confusing you with me. It happens occasionally. Welcome to the One-Ring.
We have Azog and The B a z o o k a. :)

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!