All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:41 pm

Post subject: Goblin Mercenaries
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:19 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

When my wife got me the Forge World Orcs last Christmas, I convinced her I should get the Goblin Mercenaries at the same time so there would be free shipping. :D

Inside the box, 12 mercenaries and a captain

The components

As you can see, a lot of glueing to be done. In my experience, do a little at a time, try and go too fast and you get more glue on your fingers than on the figure and pieces don't hold as well. With the Forge World resin, you need to use super glue vs standard model glue. I use Testors Contour Putty to put a dab where I am glueing, the glue reacts with the putty and firms faster and the putty helps hold it in place. I also use this putty instead of greenstuff when it is a small seam to fill.

The Captain really goes together one way, the fun is putting the mercenaries together. I gave each figure a distinct head, left arm, right arm and hand weapon for each torso. Rather than try and figure this out all at once, I did a distinct torso one at a time; first the head, then the left arm, right arm and last the hand holding the weapon. In hindsight, probably should have pinned the weapon hand to the arm but the glue seems to be holding.

Torso 2 only has one point of contact on the base so I will be drilling a hole through the foot into the leg for a pin. Torso 4 will be a little more tricky, the contact is on the ball of the foot so doesn't really work for pinning, will have to be a bit more creative on the basing.

Probably shouldn't taken the picture with grey on grey, will be easier to see the differences once they are based but I kept as many as possible on the stands to help me in painting.

I substituted some hunter orc weapons for the bone picks on a couple of mercenaries to add some more variety.

A comparison in size between a Moria Goblin, Goblin Town warrior and the Goblin mercenary

All in all, not a bad deal. You get a Captain and 12 warriors, so basically a warband in a box. In US dollars, approximately $5.54 a figure.

Not sure when I will get around to painting them, just wanted to put them together and prime them.

Post subject: Re: Goblin Mercenaries
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:59 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Yeah, we got some really nice models from the Hobbit films!

(Shame about the films ;) )
 Post subject: Re: Goblin Mercenaries
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for sharing that info Mapper. Great looking minis but it will be awhile before I could justify that kind of expense.