All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:47 pm

Post subject: Looking for good Cave Drake proxy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:31 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My google and forum searches have so far failed to discover a cool, but inexpensive proxy for a Cave Drake to use in a Battle Companies campaign.

I am looking for something big enough to look like it could swallow a character whole. Ideally something not needing extensive conversion work. I have looked at various toy dragons and been put off by the necessary work to remove wings and maker marks. None of the Scheich or Bullyland dinosaurs I have seen so far have looked quite right but maybe you have seen a cool one I missed.

Preferably under 20 Euros but more expensive suggestions considered if I can perhaps find a used one for less.

Any suggestions welcome, the more the merrier.

Post subject: Re: Looking for good Cave Drake proxy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:17 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Reaper Minis has dragons galore. They have 'em in metal or plastic. I don't really care for the white bones plastic myself, but I do have a number of minions for other games in it. The white bones is kind of rubbery and doesn't pick up details that well. That said, bones black is amazing. It's like the traditional mini plastic and details beautifully. If you don't like the dragons listed, there are at least 6 on the bones 5 kickstarter, and yes, you can order just the dragons you like!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:43 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My wife and I backed Bones 5, but those minis are quite some way off from being delivered. I have a white bones bear I did for Beorn, it was challenging to work with but got the job done. So we planned for a Reaper Dragon later in the campaign. Now looking for something different for the Drake more immediately available.

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2019/0 ... d-bear-it/

But thanks for the tip, it is the kind of suggestion I am looking for.

The next question is... which Reaper dragon given the different sizes of them all?

On another thread a Reaper Shadow Dragon was recommended. What are your thoughts on that one?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:45 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Mmmm, well, that's a good question. Obviously, the bigger the dragon, the more expensive it is. The bones black dragons probably have Sir Forscale or the 1/4" B in the renders somewhere, you may have to rewatch the kickstarter videos. I would say the hatchlings are probably about the size of a wolf. The silver dragon is about the height of a mini at the head if I remember correctly. Ma'al Drakar is massive, they have the set at my FLGS and I think he's 20 or 30cm tall. I think the shadow dragon is about the same size as the silver, maybe a bit bigger. Nice sculpt, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:00 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the information, I will keep digging.

Edit:

My wife is not a fan of the Reaper shadow dragon.

I am currently considering a Schleich or Safari Postosuchus or Prestosuchus. But still open to other suggestions.